New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, SCI, again.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So where did the 'other salaries & wages' part of SCIF go?? There is no detail that I can see.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt - Might just as well save your breath. Trying to explain how SCI works, what they do for All us hunters, how they do it to people who don't want to really know is like trying to convince the antis out there that we hunters are a legitimate force in wildlife conservation.

You are spot on with your statement about SCI and DSC being primarily "Hunting Clubs" who also promote and fund charitable causes. For those that insist on a certain percentage number to be met of dollars spent on these charity activities, I suggest they go find some other source to contribute to, even though they probably wouldn't send money to them either. Some just like to sit, bitch and moan and not really be a "plus" factor and put their money where their mouth is.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are spot on with your statement about SCI and DSC being primarily "Hunting Clubs" who also promote and fund charitable causes. For those that insist on a certain percentage number to be met of dollars spent on these charity activities, I suggest they go find some other source to contribute to, even though they probably wouldn't send money to them either. Some just like to sit, bitch and moan and not really be a "plus" factor and put their money where their mouth is.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Then SCI should drop the "Foundation" and the implied endowment process from their solicitations, and present itself as a fraternal organization since that is its mode of operation.
Ah, but there is a tax impact.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Actually, somewhere on their site, it says they're a corporation...... or at least, that's what it used to say but I haven't looked for a while. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob - You are indeed correct. By having this status, more dollars are available to the overall scheme of things. Nothing wrong with that, and most other organizations across the board do the same thing.

Since these are technically two seperate operations/organizations, if you don't believe in the charitable side of SCI or SCIF as it's known, simply don't donate to that part. Nobody forces an SCI member to send $$ to SCIF, but it's only natural for them to solicit from those members.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Then SCI should drop the "Foundation" and the implied endowment process from their solicitations, and present itself as a fraternal organization since that is its mode of operation.
Ah, but there is a tax impact.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Matt - Might just as well save your breath. Trying to explain how SCI works, what they do for All us hunters, how they do it to people who don't want to really know is like trying to convince the antis out there that we hunters are a legitimate force in wildlife conservation.

Hi Larry - To be honest I couldnt care less about the people on here who 'dont want to really know' - they are 'long gone' and will probably never realise that if they got involved with this powerful organisation that they could be influential and even make a difference... I am personally more concerned about the dozens of other hunters who read these pages and may not have any knowledge or experience of SCI and who may be influenced negatively by the incessant anti ramblings in this place.

To me I can see why the actual antis are taking such a stranglehold on worldwide hunting AND hunter numbers in the northern hemisphere continue you to fall in synch with this ... when hunters themselves cant make a proper stand, shoulder-to-shoulder, striving to make things better but would rather bitch and moan and be divisive. We sure can be our own worst enemies...

I am the first to admit that SCI is not without its failings as an organisation - HELL - even the executive admits it!!

Hunters...if you are an SCI member then please get actively involved and help make it a better organisation. If you arent a member yet - please join now and do the same. SCI has the numbers and the fundraising ability - and it ALWAYS needs new and fresh leadership... simply complaining about it wont help. The organisation is only as strong and as powerful as its members and elected officials!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 - Matt I agree with what you are saying completely. A lot of hunters will wake up some day when their hunting privileges are gone and wonder what happened. After the fact will be too late, so people, get on board today and support a group of your choice and do something positive.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Hi Larry - To be honest I couldnt care less about the people on here who 'dont want to really know' - they are 'long gone' and will probably never realise that if they got involved with this powerful organisation that they could be influential and even make a difference... I am personally more concerned about the dozens of other hunters who read these pages and may not have any knowledge or experience of SCI and who may be influenced negatively by the incessant anti ramblings in this place.

To me I can see why the actual antis are taking such a stranglehold on worldwide hunting AND hunter numbers in the northern hemisphere continue you to fall in synch with this ... when hunters themselves cant make a proper stand, shoulder-to-shoulder, striving to make things better but would rather bitch and moan and be divisive. We sure can be our own worst enemies...

I am the first to admit that SCI is not without its failings as an organisation - HELL - even the executive admits it!!

Hunters...if you are an SCI member then please get actively involved and help make it a better organisation. If you arent a member yet - please join now and do the same. SCI has the numbers and the fundraising ability - and it ALWAYS needs new and fresh leadership... simply complaining about it wont help. The organisation is only as strong and as powerful as its members and elected officials!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

You are correct...there is no detail beyond the information provided.

Not sure of your point?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Matt,

You are correct...there is no detail beyond the information provided.

Not sure of your point?
Oh nothing - I was really just wondering what/who it was spent on myself!! and you seemed to have a better understanding of how to interpret it than me...

That IRS form really does my head in trying to decipher it. I dont know how you guys do it??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1 - Matt I agree with what you are saying completely. A lot of hunters will wake up some day when their hunting privileges are gone and wonder what happened. After the fact will be too late, so people, get on board today and support a group of your choice and do something positive.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member
If that time comes they will probably blame SCI for not 'doing enough'!!! rotflmo thumbdown

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV