Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, SCI, again.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
So I get the mailer requesting a donation for the Safari Club Foundation. Instead of shredding it, I glance over the letter from the Executive Director. I'm thinking about it when I notice at the bottom of the last page the Charity Navigator logo with "Four Star Charity" listed on it. They used the logo, so I figured I'll just "trust and verify". Charity Navigator lists them as TWO STARS with expenses being 72.4%. The top two guys make six figures each. (OK the second guy is $1,955.00 short of six figures.)

I know this post will bring out the SCI-as-a-religion types, but I thought some might be interested.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
So I get the mailer requesting a donation for the Safari Club Foundation. Instead of shredding it, I glance over the letter from the Executive Director. I'm thinking about it when I notice at the bottom of the last page the Charity Navigator logo with "Four Star Charity" listed on it. They used the logo, so I figured I'll just "trust and verify". Charity Navigator lists them as TWO STARS with expenses being 72.4%. The top two guys make six figures each. (OK the second guy is $1,955.00 short of six figures.)

I know this post will bring out the SCI-as-a-religion types, but I thought some might be interested.

Bloody hell! They even lie about this??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Cazador,

Remember SCI and SCIF are different legal entities although they have something like 9 or 10 of the same board members out of like 15 board members. The numbers are very rough as I have not counted them in awhile. Different legal entities that effectively operate as one.

It is possible they are drawing salaries form both legal entities and you may only being seeing one portion of the salary. I am not saying that is the case.

You may wish to also check the number of hours a week they work to earn that compensation.

For example John Eichenger Executive Director of SCI-F received approx. $229K in compensation for 20 hours per week. However, the compensation is reported having come from a Related Organization.

Keneth James CFO of SCI-F received approx. $150K in compensation for 10 hours per week. However, the compensation is reported having come from a Related Organization.

Is Mr. Eichenger and James compensation stated on the SCI-F IRS 990 paid by SCI? (SCI being the related organiztion. I suoect that is the case.

Also note that on the SCI Form 990 they do not indicate any individual payments just that 27 people received reportable compensation of $1,356,743 for an average of about $50K each. Reported average hours per week were either 20 or 5. Niether Mr. James or Eichenger is in the group of 27.

SCI also reported that another 7 individuals received greater than $100K in compensation.

Are Mr. Eichenger and James each one of the 7 receiving more than $100K a year or do they recieve additional compensation but it is less than $100k so they are not reported in the count of 7. Is the money they may receive considered compensation for SCI activities (not SCI-F) so therefore it is in addition to monies reported on the SCI-F form.

Do Mr. James and Eichenger work additional 50 hours a week at SCI and therefore are actually under compensated? I don't know.

If you go to both the SCI and SCI-F website you can down load their IRS form 990.

Here are the links:

SCI

http://www.scifirstforhunters.....09_SCI_FORM_990.pdf

SCIF

http://www.safariclubfoundatio...09_SCIF_FORM_990.pdf

My suggestion to anyone is read the forms and make your own decisions.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charity Navigator lists them as TWO STARS with expenses being 72.4%. The top two guys make six figures each.

Pretty dismal rating for a charitable entity...a like charity with that performance would probably be wound down and dissolved by its BOD.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Hey, First for Hunters! lol

Safari Club International Foundation - Charity Navigator listing

Dedicated to wildlife conservation, outdoor education, and humanitarian services

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, if we are going to criticize, let's get it right. This is a two star charity...not good. However, 72.4% of the money is spent on PROGRAM expenses. That means programs they are funding (giving money away). 27.6% is administration and fundraising. Alan Bunn's post contains a link to the report with the numbers.

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
405wcf,

Any expense related to the main mission of a charity is a Program Services expense. It doesn't mean the money was well spent.

Let me explain further.

SCI-F reported $5.6M in revenue and $1.8M on Salary Benefits of which about $1.38M of the Salary and Benefits is categorized as Program Services and the rest is "Management" and "Fund Raising".

If my job at SCI-F is evaluating which projects SCI-F should fund and SCI-F decides to pay me $90K a year then $90k a year is considered money spent on Program Services. If SCI allows me to buy $200 Mont Blanc pens to do my job then that $200 office expense is classified as as money spent on a Program Services because I used the pen to do my job and my job is a Program Services job as opposed to a fund raising job.

Here are interesting numbers. SCI-F spent $395K on office expense that does not include rent, technology, building maintenance, building security. Of the $395K, $258K was for Office Expenses related to Program Services. $258K is close to 20% of salaries and benefits related to program Services. I have never seen a 20% burden rate for office expense.

But here is the more interesting number. The actual amount spent on Program Services - Programs and Projects is $836,633.

That is only 15% of the $5.6 million in revenue.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI isn't the best, it's just the best we got this year...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just another reason why my membership is lapsing in 10 days after 22 plus years and why i won't be in Reno( first convention missed in 17 years). sooner or later, you have to take a stand and say "enough is enough".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will keep on going in a circle, without a doubt, SCI is what it is , and will not change, bribery will get you a spot, just like Africa

JDollar What about that drink I promised you
!!!!!!

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have never really thought of SCI as a charitable organization but as a venue for socialization and advertising. So, I'm not really surprised as to where the money goes and I haven't and I won't donate anything to them; they get my membership fees and that's it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm actually very surprised it's not illegal for them to misrepresent themselves in that manner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The industry without SCI, the "club" (not its current leadership) is worse off........ though i agree there seems to be a need for a management overhaul.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
duplicate post

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar: If you are not already a member, I would encourage you to join DSC and come to our convention in January.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCIF had a 4-star rating in '07 & '08. I'm sure it will go back to being 4-stars again next year.

Maybe when the DSC gets big enough to be taken seriously, CN will rate them too.

Personally, I rate them pretty low; all hat, no cattle. flame

: : :

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
Personally, I rate them pretty low; all hat, no cattle.

I have no beef with DSC and honestly everything I've heard, seen, experienced with them is positive even if it's been sparse, but what the hell do they actually do???? I'm serious. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
DSC youtube

Yes, smaller. Also, fewer pecker-measurin' and chest-thumping awards.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
what the hell do they actually do???? I'm serious. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Brett

Don't they do much the same as SCI but on a smaller scale and without the mutual appreciation, extortion and dodginess etc.

animal animal animal animal animal animal

Ah dammit. As the man said. "I can resist anything except temptation" rotflmo

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
what the hell do they actually do???? I'm serious. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Brett

Don't they do much the same as SCI but on a smaller scale and without the mutual appreciation, extortion and dodginess etc.

animal animal animal animal animal animal

Ah dammit. As the man said. "I can resist anything except temptation" rotflmo

Those "WITHOUTS" are the reason DSC split from SCI long ago!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Like I said....what exactly do they do?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said....what exactly do they do?

Brett

Brett, did you watch the link Cazador humilde posted? I think the film answers some of what you are asking, and I think if you want more join up and make some meatings!

It would take pages of print for the answer to your question completely.

I am a long time member of SCI, but I don't agree with everthing they are about either. Still they do a lot of good for hunting world wide, as does DSC, and I like DSC better than SCI if I could only belong to one of the two!

Of course we could all join up with the PeTAheads, ALF, and Fund For Animals, if we think they offer more support for world wide hunting rights, and continued survival of wildlife!

..................... Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett:
"Like I said....what exactly do they do?"

Check out our website at www.biggame.org, it details some of "what they do", DSC also puts on a pretty nice hunters convention the first week of January, come down and check it out; I'll even pay your way in.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guidestar.org is another good source to see haw your favorite charity stacks up. By comparison United Way gives back about 73% of what it takes in. If you want an eye opener look at a few other supposed charities. 24% payback by SCIF is abyssmal.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
This will keep on going in a circle, without a doubt, SCI is what it is , and will not change, bribery will get you a spot, just like Africa

JDollar What about that drink I promised you
!!!!!!
you know Walter, my greatest regret with not going to the convention is being able to get together and have a drink with the guys like you that i have hunted with in years past. it sounds maudlin but the convention itself is always the same- sensory overload, glitz and glamour. the real enjoyment for me has always been the fun of catching up with old friends and chewing the fat over an adult beverage. I WILL REALLY MISS THAT- but sooner or later a man has to take a stand and decide how much bullshit he will tolerate. i simply can't continue to support fraud, bribery, and corruption by the people in charge. maybe next year, i will see how Dallas looks. cheers, my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are unreal!!! SCI & DSC are HUNTING CLUBS ... that do some charitable work. How can you compare them to actual charities???

If I knew how to write HUNTING CLUBS in really big bold print here... I would do so!!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCIF IS a charitable foundation. Not a "hunting club".

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as is the Dallas Ecological Foundation- the DSC version of the SCIF.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
SCIF IS a charitable foundation. Not a "hunting club".

Jeff
Really??? Roll Eyes It isnt just a charitable organisation in the traditional sense of the terms... if you count their Humanitarian Services division as their 'charitable' work ... this is really just one facet of SCIF. YES they do charitable work; NO they are not solely a charity as we know it but perform other functions as well.

They mkay well be a charitable 'foundation' as an entity but not solely in function..

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

You may want to read up on U.S. tax law.

Safari Club International, a 501(c)4 entity is a hunter advocacy organization and Safari Club International Foundation, is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Matt,

You may want to read up on U.S. tax law.

Safari Club International, a 501(c)4 entity is a hunter advocacy organization and Safari Club International Foundation, is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
Like I said in my previous post.. it may well be a charitable entity but it serves other purposes than humanitarian type charity.... Does it not??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I don't understand your point.

Charitable work does not have to be humanitarian work to be charitable work.

People's complaint is not about how much charitable humanitarian work versus charitable non humanitarian work SCI-F does.

People's complaint is how little money actually goes to either type of charitable work.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charity=expenditures for a positive result. With only 24% dispersal, this is either a for profit entitiy or a terribly run foundation. Matt, I have no idea what your point is.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt,

I don't understand your point.

A charitable work does not have to be humanitarian work to be charitable work.

People's complaint is not about how much charitable humanitarian work versus charitable non humanitarian work SCI-F does.

People's complaint is how little money actually goes to either type of charitable work.
Mike - are some of the other program expenses, not humanitarian effort, (even wages and such for people running these programs) covered in the running costs of the org or is all of that included in the 24%??

What I am saying is that some of the functions that the org performs may not be included in that 24%.

In other words - where is that 24% actually allocated??

Cheers
Matt

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 405wcf:
Ok guys, if we are going to criticize, let's get it right. This is a two star charity...not good. However, 72.4% of the money is spent on PROGRAM expenses. That means programs they are funding (giving money away). 27.6% is administration and fundraising. Alan Bunn's post contains a link to the report with the numbers.

405wcf
405wcf asked the same question perfectly but I dont think the answer was correct.

All of that money spent on 'Program Expenses'... a lot of that money (even if it is wages) is perferming the duties of SCIF ... is it not??

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Go to the link above to the SCI-F IRS 990 form and you can read SCI-F mission statement and you can see how they spend their money then read my post above explaining how expenses get classified.

In short, if a charity is founded for conserving wildlife habitat then habitat conservation is defined as the Program Service and if I am the Director of Habitat Conservation and I spend $50K on restoring five duck ponds but my salary is $100K the charity can state that $150K was for Program Services.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike

Sorry about all the questions!! So what if the foundation has more than 1 function, as it seems SCIF does?? I find it very difficult to believe that SCIF blew $5M or thereabouts.... on nothing!! Who would allow this to happen???

Cheers
Matt

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
1 function or 3 or 5 functions doesn't matter...

I could the Director of Conservation and Humanitarian Services and Food Distribution if all of those are defined in the charities charter documents then the all the expenses related to those are Program Services Expenses but ti doesn't mean the money was spent.

Who allows it to happen? that is a good question and "allow" is an interesting word...in some ways

Fraud<-Incompetence<-Mismanagement<-Excellence

are really just points on a continuum defined by severity and intent

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 function or 3 or 5 functions doesn't matter...

I could the Director of Conservation and Humanitarian Services and Food Distribution if all of those are defined in the charities charter documents then the all the expenses related to those are Program Services Expenses but ti doesn't mean the money was spent.

Who allows it to happen? that is a good question and "allow" is an interesting word...in some ways

Fraud<-Incompetence<-Mismanagement<-Excellence

are really just points on a continuum defined by severity and intent
Sorry I should have mentioned that "who?" was a rhetorical question...

Mike I cant see where the 25 people were paid a cent but there seems to be no explanation for the 'other salaries and wages'... not that it seems to ask for it... or am I missing something?? Very difficult to say what that $1M ion unexplained wages was used for??

MG

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

If you are referring to my post above regarding 27 people and $1.3M, that is with respect to SCI on page 8 of the form (pg 10 of the pdf) line 1b.

Mike