Notify
Tools

Moz to cull 'problem animals'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Moz to cull 'problem animals'
25/03/2008 13:24 - (SA)

Maputo - The Mozambican government is training a special unit of professional hunters who will be tasked with killing problem animals.

Agriculture minister Soares Nhaca told Radio Mozambique in a programme broadcast on Monday night that the professional hunters would be licensed to kill problem animals as a way of alleviating human-animal conflict.

"All identified problem animals will have to be killed because as government we prioritise the life of people more than that of animals," he said.

Nhaca said since January this year at least 17 people had been killed by crocodiles alone.

Cases of human-animal conflict were mostly reported in the northern and central provinces, where the government had also implemented intervention programmes such as collection of crocodile eggs.

News24

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
in 6 months, i hope to help the government thin the croc population in the Zambezi delta by one animal- on a croc hunt with Johan at Bahati Adventuters( who posts on this forum). CAN'T WAIT!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Where do I sign up ? Big Grin

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YIP,

And then it happens like with us last year, the Game Scout in charge of Problem Animals shoots a 82 pound elephant whilst doinh his control work on the south side of Cahorra Bassa.

I nearly died when I heard it and saw the tusks at Daque, Tchuma Tchato HQ

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In July it's man eating lions for me, with the always dangerous buffalo for bait.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Alaska Hunter

Who are you hunting with?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett
Kambako Safaris, Jumbo Moore.
I'll be hunting on a 767,000 acre concession in part of the Niassa National Reserve in Northern Mozambique.
37 reported cases of man eating lions in the past 6 years.
Thought I'd give it a try.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Alaska Hunter

Thanks. I was considering it in the future myself. I was looking at Kambako and Calitz. Awful cheap (relatively speaking) for lions and they look like nice lions too. I'm just not sure about the chances for success. Did they give you some idea about your chances for success?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They've been careful not to give a percentage for success. The claim is that the lion population is very high. (I also heard that from a guy that was there last year). A friend will be doing leopard on this trip so we'll be baiting for both and depending on what hits will decide what blind to build. Jumbo did say the lion are so bold that you can drive up to the baits and won't scare the them off. Also high population of black manes.
We shall see.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Alaska Hunter

Did you look at Calitz or any of the other Niassa guys? Why Kambako? You can PM me if you would prefer.

I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how it goes.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Some truly outstanding trophies are coming out of Moz. Not only DG but PG as well. I hoping to take big Sable, Nyala, Suni, Duikers and Bushbuck soon.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought licenses for the following animals: Red and Common Duiker, Suni and Grysbok, Waterbuck, Warthog, Kudu, Bushpig, Zebra, Sable, Hyena, Buffalo and Lion.
Th Kudu are low to mid 50", Waterbuck also not big, Warthog and Hyena are not easy but the rest sound pretty good. Bushbuck & croc were sold out.
I've taken everything mentioned except the mini's, bushpig and I've hunted Sable twice never seeing a good one.
I'll let you know the quality upon return.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Hunter:
I've bought licenses for the following animals: Red and Common Duiker, Suni and Grysbok, Waterbuck, Warthog, Kudu, Bushpig, Zebra, Sable, Hyena, Buffalo and Lion.

Sounds like a damn good safari!! I hope you fill every spot on your 'hit list'!!!!

Good luck,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote