Find
Notify
Tools

Safari, Cigars and Customs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My son owns a tobacco shop and will bring a box of cigars with him when we transit through South Africa and into Zimbabwe. Does anyone know if there are restrictions on how many cigars can be imported by a tourist hunter in either country?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you clearing customs in SA or just waiting in the international area between flights?

If yes, you will not be dealing with SA customs and the issue is moot wrt SA customs.

I have brought two boxes of 25 cigars each into Zimbabwe (purchased in the Jo'burg airport international area duty free shops.) No questions were raised.

Along with the cigars, meaning "at the same time", I have brought in maybe as many as 50 or 60 tins of Skoal LongCut as well. Since these are in my checked bagage rather than the duty free bags, I mention them to the customs folks. They have never batted an eye.

If you are clearing SA customs and the cigars you bring are limited, you will find a very good selection - to me, not a real aficianado - in the SA duty free shops in the international terminal.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
I want to say the limit is $50 US of tobacco. I have my friend at his store write me a receipt for just under that when I go. What I take is a bit more than that. But in all these years I have never been asked for it or even had my bags gone thru.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy cigars at the duty free in Joberg. When I was going to Zim last month, I asked at the store, and I was told 50 cigars was the limit to take into Zimbabwe. I usually pick up a carton of cigarettes for camp staff as well.
They have a really nice selection of cigars, and you can get some high grade Cubans. Last time I bought 25 Romeo Y Julieta #4 Exhibicion, and recommend them highly.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys, that is exactly the information I need.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote