New
Find
Notify
Tools

The wildebeest of a lifetime
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the Lapua Naturalis fired from my 338RUM into a frontal chest shot on my bull at 282 yards. He never could get up........slid 40 yards down the hillside and finish.

I believe these are the most devasting monometal bullets available............ absolutely snotted that wildy!!! thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
This is the Lapua Naturalis fired from my 338RUM into a frontal chest shot on my bull at 282 yards. He never could get up........slid 40 yards down the hillside and finish.

I believe these are the most devasting monometal bullets available............ absolutely snotted that wildy!!! thumb

That looks lekker cant wait for mine dancing

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Here's is my two from 2006 and 2008. I don't know what either measured.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:

That looks lekker cant wait for mine dancing

Hope they get there Rudi Smiler

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Blair
me too mate

RAC

i would say the first one is +-28 and the second one +- 26 its both nice bulls Wink

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:
Here's is my two from 2006 and 2008. I don't know what either measured.

RAC, I'll have to check my files but if I remember correctly your bull measured just over 28". That 45-70 of your sure did the trick...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Saw this bugger again last weekend can't wait for hunting season

One of Us
Picture of Jvalha
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to my blue Wildebeest, shot with a 270 gr tsx in a .375 ruger. Measured 29 5/8". And old bugger with skinny spots on his mussle and cape.
He was shot this november in North West with henry Griffith Smiler

http://www.facebook.com/photo....type=3&theater[/IMG]

If the link doesnt work please help me...
-Jostein

Posts: 37 | Location: Norge | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post

Here is my 32 ½" Blue from the Northwestern Province that I shot in 2010.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Some very nice wide horned wildebeest pictures seen here. Congratulations to the hunters, and where appropriate their PH's.

The "best of a lifetime" wildebeest that I remember seeing was posted here on AR by either Infinito or Safari-Hunt: A really run down old boy with bluntly worn stumps for horns. That was a real wildebeest trophy! For me personally age, body size and battle scars counts all - size does not matter at all! Mind you, I do not speak for my wife! Big Grin

Charl or Frederik, can you please re-post that dream wildebeest again, not to show up the big wildebeest posted here, just so those who feel like me about trophies can see a "real" trophy again?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This brindled wildebeest is my best, 29.5" according to Rowland Ward. 1972 in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is 28" sharp, not that big, but stalking the beast on my first trip to Limpopo, is forever in my memory Smiler

Followed a small group for an hour in the bos veld until I got a clear shot on him....

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greatbasin
posted Hide Post
This my only beest. I know he's not big, but I'll tell you what, that was a fun hunt.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My first one was a tough bugger. My fault ,of course. He was standing broadside and we had been hunting hard for 2 days and couldn't even get within mailing distance. They were really spooky. This one was standing broadside in the clear and my PH asked if I wanted to try for him. I'm a lousy judge of distance and I DO mean lousy. He said he was a little over 200yds so I said I'd try. My 375H&H was loaded with 270gr Partitions and sighted in to be a couple of inches high at 100 yds so should be right on at 200 yds. I settled down in a sitting position and let one go right up the foreleg and into the shoulder just as the book says. He went over instantaneously and just as promptly got back up and was in the trees. We went up to the site expecting him to be dead nearby ,but he was long gone. ON THREE LEGS ! His right front had been broken by the perfectly aimed shot at a 200yd animal that we went back and measured at 335 yds.We tracked him for about 5 miles catching up to him once and it still took 2 rounds to put him down for good. He just KEPT getting up. Second one I shot with the same rifle and load went down like he was hit in the head. So much for the infallibility of all PH's range estimating. I feel fairly comfortable judging out to 200yds but am a lot more at home at 100yds. I thought it looked longer than 200 yds but didn't argue. Today I probably would do the same thing as I pretty much always trusted the PH's judgement and estimates and instructions.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Client used my 30-06 with 180gr Accubonds to hunt this one with a couple of years ago. Field measured 30" and is now hanging in his seafood restaurant in Tampa FL.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great photos.

Here's my best Nyasa wildebeest from Tanzania. We found him in a sand river. He was 28 inches, IIRC.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13618 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post

mine from the Save Zim 2010

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
they alwys stay fun to hunt

andrew the wildebeest in the free state is smaller so that the cheetahs can catch them jumping

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:

andrew the wildebeest in the free state is smaller so that the cheetahs can catch them jumping

Whatdja mean? A true Free State Cheetah is much bigger than the same named animal from other parts of their home range. So, in the photos showing them with the wildebeest that they caught, the wildebeest only looks smaller! Big Grin Whatever the orange cheetahs absolutely catch and eat wildebeest - both the black and particularly the blue bull types! jumping But they also from time to time catch sharks!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:

Whatdja mean? A true Free State Cheetah is much bigger than the same named animal from other parts of their home range. So, in the photos showing them with the wildebeest that they caught, the wildebeest only looks smaller! Big Grin Whatever the orange cheetahs absolutely catch and eat wildebeest - both the black and particularly the blue bull types! jumping But they also from time to time catch sharks!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

And to all our overseas friends that is when it snows in the kalahari jumping rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a "Wildebeest of a Lifetime" for me, because it was the first African game animal I ever took.
He took a 300-grain Barnes X (old FB-cannelured type) from my .375 H&H, through the heart at 150 yards.
He burst into a sprint at the impact, and ran all of another 150 yards, and dropped dead on the run,
piling up in a cloud of dust on the plain.
Amazing animals, wildebeests, spectacularly tough. thumb
Poor man's buffalo.
Botswana 2001: 28" IIRC, he was well past his prime. Like me.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that wildebeest standing in the field (in the OP) is a BEEST!! On my first trip to RSA, this year, I had no intention of hunting a wildebeest - that was until I say them in the bush - their look, habits and mannerisms fascinated me and then when a big one popped-up - I just had to go after it. Taking that (totally free-ranging) animal was probably the highlight of the trip for me!!

I can understand why you RSA locals appreciate them so much ... because they are a great game animal. PH Andrew Pringle was pleased enough to have his picture taken with mine!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't measured any of mine, but finally did...27.5". I suppose I need to go back now...

I did realize they are the poor man's cape buff. They are incredibly tough. After a good shot, heard by all, it was decided to grab others and dogs after lunch. I am one to finish the job immediately without any misery to the prey. I, however, relented to the professionals and found mine dead exactly where they predicted.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote