New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .375 for the buck?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Under, say, $2000. Which is it? The Winchester? The Ruger? A pre-'64 Winchester? What about the CZ 550 Magnum Safari Express -- that stock makes my cheekbone hurt just looking at it.

Or, is there some out-of-production basic Mauser I should look for?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington made the .375 in their yearly Limited Classsic series a few years ago -- about 1997, if I remember correctly. If you can find a new one, you should be able to get it for under $700. Used ones should be less.

I know that there's a big prejudice here in favor of the Mauser and Mauser-style (e.g. Winchester Model 70) actions, but I don't share that view. I think the Remington 700 is a great rifle.

Also, the 700 classics have a great stock design, and the .375 has open sights, for those who think they need them.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 06-08-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I'm saving some big bucks by having one "made" for me on a Mauser action. It will be well under $600 in final cost and for that I get a pretty close to custom gun.

Check around to see what a gunsmith might charge to build one for you.

Next, I'll have to learn how to reload!

------------------
~Ann

Every day spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can get a pre 64 in mint condition for under $2000.00 and nothing is better on the new market...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the CZ550 is going to be offered with an american style stock in the .375 in the near future. If that happens then it would be a good buy. In my opinion the best new .375 out there for the money is the winchester M70 stainless. You can pick one up for $600 or so if you really look around. I wouldn't own a .375 that wasn't based on a CRF action, but that's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you said up to $2000US, I think there are 2 answers.

If you want a nice rifle and the "right rifle" in 375, then as Ray has suggested the Pre 64 is it. The only problem with a Pre 64 in 375 is that you will then have to get its little brother, the 300 H&H.

If accuracy at the upper end is a big thing for you, I would get the M70 Stainless as the starting point.

You will have enough left over for a Jewell trigger and a match grade barrel.

By the way, a Jewell will let you go all the way from a 2 ounce pull up into the pounds.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 06-07-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to pay up to $2000 for a .375 H&H you might look at a used custom rifle. They can be a heck of a deal and you would have a chance to shoot it and save a lot of "depreciation". Check out www.gunsamerica for guns for sale on the internet. Look under custom rifles. There's a ton of 'em and you always get at least a 3-day inspection period. Arranging for shipment isn't hard as long as you have access to a local gunshop.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My major misgiving about the pre-'64 is that the stock is designed for iron sights rather than scope.

My '06 is such a rifle and is manageable now that I've learned where on my jaw the stock should land--but I'm concerned that with a .375 the learning curve would be a bit more painful.

Or would you restock the pre-'64 anyway? Finn Aagaard once wrote that he'd never seen a regularly used pre-'64 .375 that didn't split its stock eventually.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with DB Bill. Gunsamerica.com is a very good place to look. I found a new-in-box old Kimber with 1/4 rib express sight there for around $1800. Their action is very similar to a pre-64. In fact, if you don't mind not having open sights, there's a Kimber of Oregon 375 posted for sale for $1,400. If I remember correctly, it is unfired.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Brno 602 in the shop, in 375 H&H. This is a great value in a rifle, it even has three leaf sights. We bought it for the action, but it is completely stock, has both triggers, so I can get rid of the "Un African" set trigger. Other than the backward safety, I would not hesistate to take this rifle to Africa, it just feels nice and the stock has enough drop for use of the irons. (I likely will put a three position safety on the rifle) For a factory rifle, I think this is one of the best buys of all. Shop around, you can probably find one for $550 or so, we got this one at a steal for much less, and it is close to 100% condition wise. The CZ550 is the replacement for the 602. If you dislike the CZ550 Express stock, then just buy the 550 action (Brownells has them) and have a gun built. I will be putting a 416 Rigby together on the CZ550 action, with a Pac Nor No. 6 barrel. This may be the way to go for you, have a gun builder build exactly what you want. With a lesser grade Walnut stock, or a laminate or fiberglass stock, you certainly can have a nice rifle assembled for under $2000.

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 06-07-2001).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By "backward safety" on the Brno 602, I assume you mean it's on the left side of the bolt sleeve and flips from front to back to fire, like the pre-war Model 70 or the Brno #1? If so, that might not be backward for me as I already have both of those rifles!

However, I know nothing about the different types of set triggers and was wondering about that when I looked at CZ's website. How exactly are the CZ triggers operated, (set vs. single stage) and can they be readily disabled or replaced by those of us who are accustomed to normal American triggers? (E.g., can they be replaced with a Timney?)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd echo what John Ricks said. I also have one, and it is a very nice package for the money. I have the straight stock, not the humped one; and the safety is on the right of the action, but you move it to the rear to disengage the safety. Mine has had nothing done to it, and it will shoot very well with 300gr Hornady's and WW760 (2525fps), and the Federal premium loads I hunt with. It is a rifle you won't worry about, and it will give you a bunch of rifle for the money. I have CZ quick off mounts on mine, and they have done well. No complaints. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

To partially answer your question about the CZ550 Magnum set trigger: I just got a 550 in .416 Rigby, haven't fired it yet (got cases yesterday, no dies yet), but I have played with it a little. The same trigger that is used in what we Americans would call the normal way can also be "set" by pushing it forward. It is then supposed to be in a much less safe condition, with, presumably, a lighter pull. I couldn't tell the difference, partly because it had a lot of takeup, and partly because I didn't mess with it much because I didn't figure I was going to get into the habit of using it, anyway. I have not yet measured the pull either way, but the conventional pull seems fine to me for a hunting gun. According to the instruction book, the parts for the set-trigger feature can be removed from the trigger assembly entirely. If you're interested in more info, let me know & I'll check it out as best I can. I'm sure I'll get around to measurements sooner or later for my own curiosity, anyway.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude--

Thanks for the info on the safety, it sounds like I might want to get that modified if possible as it isn't the same as any of my other rifles. That, or get a CZ rifle in a "light" caliber to go with it. Where did you get a .375 with a straight stock? --the website seems to show it only with the humpback.

Recono--

Thanks for the trigger info. Weight aside, is the trigger crisp? My .270 VZ-24 has a 3.25 pound Timney that I love, and my Model 70 is 5 pounds but very crisp so I deal with it.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was doing a little research today on Harry Selby's 416 Rigby, built in 1949 by John Rigby & Sons (correct me Ray, sons or son?) on of all things a standard length 98 Mauser!!! Anyway, to the point, ran across a photo of Joe Coogan, in Africa, shooting a Brno 602 375 identical to the one I have.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John F,

I would call the 550 Mag trigger a lot of things, including quite satisfactory, but I don't think I would call it crisp without some qualification. Most people wouldn't call it crisp at all. Before I tell you what the trigger is like, let me warn you that this is out of the box. I have not had the action out of the rifle, and I haven't even blown compressed air into the trigger assembly (and probably won't for a while - I'm plenty happy with the trigger, but maybe that's because I'm odd). This trigger is adjustable, and comes with an explanation of which screw adjusts what. I am quite sure that its performance could be significantly changed just by disassembling it and reassembling lubed with RIG Stainless Steel lube, which is a kind of magic trigger-pull reducer. However, like most trigger-pull reducers, even this one should be used only by someone who knows what he's doing. On 1911's, that's me. On rifles, it isn't, even though I'm sure there are a lot of basic similarities. I know enough about triggers to know that I don't know enough about triggers.

On to the out-of-the-box performance. In normal mode, the trigger has a lot of takeup. While taking up, one can feel the travel of one surface over another. One can take up & then let up, and the trigger will return some. Some might call the creep "gritty," but that's a little stronger than I would put it. Let's just say that the takeup is a long and interesting journey. However, the letoff is at about four pounds or so (measured), comes as a surprise, and doesn't seem to me to be followed by much overtravel. I consider it an excellent trigger for a hunting rifle, but that's because I LIKE takeup.

The set trigger has a little takeup, also, but it is uneventful, and ends with a one- to one-and-a-half-pound letoff. The set trigger can be set even while on safe, and can be unset while on safe. If I never lend the gun, I will probably leave the set trigger feature on. Seems to work well, and no-one is making me use it.

Hope this tells you what you need to know. I think the trigger's fine right now. If you don't like creep, I strongly believe, but don't know absolutely for sure, that a gunsmith could easily lube and adjust the trigger to your satisfaction. You could probably do it yourself, but I wouldn't advise it unless you already know more about that stuff than I do, which isn't saying much.

Good luck!

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
This trigger is adjustable, and comes with an explanation of which screw adjusts what.

A far cry from most anything made in America!

Any idea whether it's replaceable with a Timney, Dayton Traister, etc.?

<10point>
posted

Im left eyed, that limits what I have got availble in my price range. It limits it more then you righty's can believe I bet.

On this claw extractor vs push feed thing, I have spent years blindly blubbering how much I want a "controlled feed rifle". Like a automaton I have marched thru life, stary look in eye", trying to prove Im good enough to be in the "Mauser action" crowd.

A few days ago I suffered a very shocking epiphany, like a bolt of lightening actually. I suddenly realized that I have never, not once, short stroked a rifle or had a problem ejecting with a push feed, other then case related "pressure" problems that could happen with ANY! kind of bolt.

Beside's I was trained in hunting, with a Bow, by a father who thought a hunter should never NEED! more then one shot. In other words "make that first shot count or dont shoot at all".

Modern rifles are very dependable. Have we moved past this extractor arguement?.........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
John:

The only bolt action which I have ever had an extractor problem with is the Remington 700. It's definately a weak link in an otherwise excellent action. But I agree that extraction problems are, in reality, few and far between, even with the 700. As far as feeding, I don't think there's any real difference, given the proper magazine and feed rail alignment, between a push feed and a CRF. But remember, some CRF's won't accept a single round fed straight into the chamber -- a HUGE handicap when trying to get off a quick shot after the magazine is exhausted.

I'm a great fan of Sakos, which no one has mentioned in this topic. My .375 is the TRG-S. It is wonderfully accurate, but is so light that it really gets your attention in the recoil department. I think the conventional M75 is some heavier, so you might consider it.

I've never been that big of a M70 fan, mostly because I'm one of a handful who don't like the safety arrangement, but the current production .375 in that gun looks like a good solid shooter.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John F. writes: Any idea whether it's replaceable with a Timney, Dayton Traister, etc.?

Recono replies: No idea. Maybe someone else knows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The topic seems well covered, but with a budget of $2K, you could:

1. Buy a used pre-64 M70 .375 H&H and have some left over

2. Buy a new win M70 classic in .375 H&H for $849, buy anther one in .458 win mag, and some ammo.

3. Buy a lower end used custom rifle in .375 H&H.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
The topic seems well covered, but with a budget of $2K, you could:

1. Buy a used pre-64 M70 .375 H&H and have some left over

2. Buy a new win M70 classic in .375 H&H for $849, buy anther one in .458 win mag, and some ammo.

3. Buy a lower end used custom rifle in .375 H&H.

There are numerous additional possibilities, including but not limited to:

4. Buy a Remington 700 Limited Classic, either new or used.

5. Buy a .375 from Remington's custom shop.

6. Go to www.gunsamerica.com and when you get that website, choose the Custom Search option and then type 375 into the search line. Your search will turn up many 375 rifles, new and used. Most of them, except for the double rifles and expensive exotics, will be under $2000. In fact, most of them will be under $1000.

7. Have a .375 custom made for you, using off-the-shelf parts (i.e. action, barrel, and stock).

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 06-08-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I just got a new M70 Safari Classic in .375H&H. I've only had the opportunity to run a box through it, but I'm very impressed.

It was bought from a friend who'd only put a box through it. It came with q/d rings and a set of dies for $700.

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the Safari Classic have the cheekpiece on the stock?

<R. A. Berry>
posted
John and Recono,
For those interested in the CZ 550 set trigger adjustability issue: I let my gunsmith (Kevin Jenkins) do that, and he is a wiz at eliminating creep and weight of pull. The factory single set trigger was adjusted to break crisply at one pound in the lighter stage, and the heavier stage was set to break equally crisply at 3 pounds. For a field rifle that may be a little light, but it sure aids accurracy at the bench. IMHO, a replacement trigger is not needed on the CZ 550.

The two-position side swing safety on the bolt shroud is O.K., but of course a 3-position safety would be nicer.

I had Kevin Jenkins rechamber a .375 H&H CZ 550 to .378 Weatherby, adjust the trigger, and pillar bed it. Out of the factory barrel it shot sub 2/3 MOA with 300 grain Sierra Game King bullets (with about 111 grains of IMR 7828 if memory serves) at 2860 fps in the first try with the gun at 100 yards. Kevin also put a Kick-Eeze pad on it, and I found that European style stock to my liking. The express sights from the factory were right on for me, and the Leupold 3X-9X seemed right at home with that stock too. Just go for the lowest rings possible. I used some Warne non-QD mediums that were originally made for the BRNO ZKK 602. They require a hex head wrench to remove, but I bet they would return to zero better than any QD out there.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 06-09-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
John,
I think the Winchester Safari Classic and the Super Express have a small "egg" cheek piece on their walnut stocks. Certainly nothing California about it.

------------------
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I happened into a local gun shop today that had several CZ 550 Americans for sale, all in .30-06 and .270 unfortunately.

I didn't think there was anything backward about the safety. I did think the forend was rather chubby and I don't care for the undercut forend tip. The barrel channel inletting gave it a rather "generous" room to freely float.

The action was a bit rough compared to the average US gun. However, I imagine it will wear in somewhat over time.

The nicest surprise was the trigger. Even with the little bit of grit and creep it has, it is still more usable by my standards than the Ruger or even the Winchester. If the set feature is readily removable and the rest of the unit has some room for user adjustments I think it could end up quite satisfactory.

The nastiest surprise was the spray of excess oil out of the rear of the bolt when I dry-snapped it. Fortunately, I was wearing glasses.

I think one of these would be quite a nice everyday rifle. I'm torn between getting one in .375 right off the bat, or getting one in 7x57. Or, I could get one in .270 and then have my .270 M98 Mauser which is currently a bit unsatisfactory, rebarreled in either 7x57.

If I get the .375 I would probably want to replace the "European" stock with a plain, straight-combed model. Any suggestions on a source for reasonably-priced, semi-inletted stocks these days?

<Pumba>
posted
John,

Before I can give you a recommendation I need you to explain what you will use the rifle for.

- Are you just going to play around with it, developing some loads, and shooting it at the range, etc.?
- Are you going to hunt non-dangerous game with it?
- Are you going to hunt dangerous game with it?

Please let us know.

Good Hunting !

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the above, I hope.

<R. A. Berry>
posted
John Frazer,
The "bassackward" safety was on the old BRNO ZKK 602. The CZ 550 has corrected this possibly deadly flaw for all of us used to pushing the safety forward to fire and rearward to make safe. The CZ 550 is an improvement over the BRNO in this regard and in regards to the trigger. Other than that, they are pretty much the same rifle except for the stock styling.

I had a chance to look at the Richards listings, and I see that they still make a stock for the BRNO's, although they don't list one for the CZ 550. Neither does Boyds.

A secret: the BRNO ZKK 602 stock fits the CZ 550 if one does some fitting, requiring opening up, of the trigger well to house that bulkier new and improved CZ 550 trigger mechanism.

American Hunting Rifles was offering wood and synthetic stocks for the CZ 550.

McMillan made my BRNO ZKK 602 stock in the classic express mode with little drop at heel. This can also be used on the CZ 550, and McMillan is probably fitting them specifically for the CZ 550's now. McMillan is the best for a big bore. They can make them solid fiber glass (heavy) or with some filling to make them lighter, your specification.

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 06-10-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
As for set triggers I love'em. If I wasn't buying a Persian M98/29 right now I'd make an offer to J. Ricks on that ZKK-602.

I have the set on my ZKK, .500 A-Sq and my wife's 7x57.

I have found it excellent for target practice from the standing position. I have given serious thought to hunting situations and can only say if I weren't in a hurry and I could only shoot from the standing position I would not hesitate to use it.

For the best .375? If it feeds and goes bang every time you pull the trigger...the best is whatever you want.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Brown>
posted
Another option is to buy the 602 from us (John and I), have John accurize it and smooth it up, put a 550 trigger on it, and stock it with either highly figured maple(way stronger than most anything other than a laminate due to the interwoven grain structure in figurewood), or a laminate from Rutply. They have them in about 4 or 5 different colors. www.rutply.com
John and I are ordering a couple blanks Monday and I`m gonna carve a BRNO 602 stock but with cast-off for fast iron sight work and recoil management. I might add a egg cheek like what I carved for the M700 416 we built recently. It is a Fiddleback Maple with 3/8" C/O and 1.8" drop at heel. Figure to die for and aged to a golden reddish tint. I hate to say this, as it is tantamount to blasphemy on this site, but I am considering skipping the oil and using my aircraft clear 2 part poly, due in part to the weather up here in the northwest, and the fact that it checkers up real nice with 10 coats of hard poly, sanded between each coat. Looks like Bo Derek layin next to the lion at the crik...........
Oh crap, where was I.............

<allen day>
posted
Make your life simple and buy either a pre-64 Model 70, a current Model 70 Classic, an old Browning High-Power (not the A-Bolt), or else a Ruger M-77 Mark II Magnum. As far as I'm concerned, these are the best of the factory .375's by far.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB--

Do you have web addresses or other contact info for the stock suppliers you mentioned?

Thanks,

John

<R. A. Berry>
posted
John Frazer,
While I am at it, I saw a .458 Winchester Safari Express at a shop yesterday, "Cubeta's Field and Stream" was the name of the place, in Middlefield, Connecticut. It has the cheekpiece they call "shadow line," as does the Super Express. It is similar to the "egg," very low profile and little drop to the comb. It is O.K. IMHO. I still like the CZ 550 better, or could be satisfied with either a Winchester or CZ.

Here are some addresses:

McMillan: www.shootingsports.com/mcmillan/home.htm

Richards Micro-fit:
www.rifle-stocks.com/catalog.htm

American Hunting Rifles:
www.hunting-rifles.com

Boyds
www.boydboys.com

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 06-11-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the information.

I believe I've decided to go for the CZ and replace the stock (which would give me the opportunity to plane off a cheekpiece, which I simply don't care for)--and may even get another one in .270 or 7x57 to match!