Notify
Tools

NO HUNTING BAN IN BOTSWANA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
people,
read below the press statement from the botswana government released via Botswana Wildlife management Authority (BWMA) this morning.

TELEPHONE: 3191312 MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT,

TELEGRAMS: MEWT WILDLIFE AND TOURISM

PRIVATE BAG BO 199
FAX: 3951092
GABORONE
REFERENCE EWT 1/6/4 III ()

ALL CORRESPONDENCE MUST BE ADDRESSED TO
THE PERMANENT SECRETARY

20th July 2011

ALL EDITORS,

RE: MMEGI ARTICLE RESPONSE: “WILDLIFE HUNTING TO CEASE IN BOTSWANA”.

We refer to the above article carried on Mmegi issue of Friday 15th July, 2011.

It was said that; the Botswana government is in advanced legal process to ban the hunting of wildlife in favour of photographic safari.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism would like to clarify that there is no decision made to ban wildlife hunting. Instead, what is being done is to encourage photographic tourism and gradually limit but not ban wildlife hunting. It must be known that species with declining numbers will be considered for limited hunting while those with increasing numbers like elephants, will continue to be hunted within CITES framework.

On the 13th and 14th July 2011, the Ministry and other stakeholders organized two days training workshop for local Media Practitioners on Poverty and Environmental Reporting. It was at this workshop that the Ministry spokesperson highlighted the benefits of photographic tourism to Community Trusts in the country as compared to just issuing hunting quotes during a discussion on Community Based Resource National Management (CBNRM). But there was no reference to hunting ban. Unfortunately, he was quoted out of context.

In conclusion, the Ministry states that the Botswana Government has no plan to ban hunting in this country and we would like to assure all hunting safari companies and affected communities that live near wildlife management areas who continues to benefit from hunting. The Mmegi story does not reflect current government thinking on the subject of wildlife hunting.

Yours Faithfully

Mable Bolele
Coordinator, Communications, Research and Development

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Another AR rumor gone mad? Thank goodness.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan, closing ele in Bots would be insane but with Khama who knows. I know several very long time operators who have either sold out to photo or just got out of areas that are/were some of the most beautiful and unique areas in Africa because of the ban on cats and ban/limited quota on PG. All that is really left are areas that support ele hunting. Some of the areas like KD 1,2,10 12 in the west supported IMHO the best lion hunting and high quality PG in all of Africa and what I wished would happen is they make some scientific effort to document the health of those areas before the bans versus 5 years later. I think we all know the answer. Photo will never go there because of the remoteness and sadly it is all over for those types of areas.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Botswana Lions, Leopards and Hyena's are hungry...send more tourists!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I hope the Ele's , after destroying habitat wander by me next year!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Read the fine print between the lines guys.

"no decision made to ban wildlife hunting" and
"species with declining numbers will be considered for limited hunting"

I read it as confirming the last "rumor" of all but jumbo closed.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
The press release from the Ministry was in response to a blog on Facebook called Lion Aid - I picked up the pre-release of a megi article published on their anti hunting blog - this was passed to BWMA who then approached the Ministry for official comment which resualted in the press release. I have since been black listed from the page which is a strong anti lion hunting organization - I have been appealing to SCI and AR members to go on to the blog - Facebook - Lion Aid and combat these lunatics with the truth.
We predict that hunting as we kow it will be phased out in concessions as and when concession leases come up for re-newal except for elephant and any other species that government deterimine are excessive in numbers which may be hunted on special dispensations issued by government.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has also been leaked that there is a move to change the land use in the Kalahari - areas mentioned above KD 1 KD 2 KD11/12 and KD 15 to agriculture /cattle - this is after the areas became non viable after the closure of Lion and Leopard hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

I read the same as you.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
It has also been leaked that there is a move to change the land use in the Kalahari - areas mentioned above KD 1 KD 2 KD11/12 and KD 15 to agriculture /cattle - this is after the areas became non viable after the closure of Lion and Leopard hunting.

That just breaks my heart. I hunted 12 and 2 and to me it is one of the most beautiful areas in all of Africa. I heard that Strumpher wasn't going to bid on them and I don't blame him a bit. Even when he had cats he still battled to get his pg quota filled and now it would be impossible....The bushman tradition will die with these changes. The last time I was in 2 for leopard the village was begging us to take out a cattle killing lion and there was nothing we could do. With hunting gone you and I both know what will happen to what's left of the lions.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dawnroar - sadly you are 100% correct - we are proud to have been a part of some amazing firsts in prooving hunting benifits a species - with Clive Eaton in Ghanzi we pioneerd the leopard hunting with bushmen and hounds - at the time the farmers hated leopard and destroyed them on site - we introduced them to the concept that we would pay them $5000-00 per leopard suddenly the leopard had a value and were tolerated and protected. Government has since greatly reduced leopard quota and the farmers have reverted back to destroying them on sight. We were the first outfitter to re-open the Kgalagadi KD 1 KD 2 KD 11/12 and KD 15 were all our areas from 2000 to 2005, the locals were poaching and protecting their cattle - through hunting we were able to replace their meat requirement with game delivered to their door , at the time we had a quota of 100 of each species - so for each animal shot the community recieved a resource royalty and they recieved a very hansome market related lease fee. This flood of meat from trophies and financial income stopped all poaching and poisoning of predators. Government closed Lion and shortly thereafter leopard - the viability of the area caused the companies to pull out and without any income you can only imagine the wrath of these folks to problem predators and the wildlife. Tt was best said by a anti hunter we once had in our camp - who said they would prefer all the elephants die from starvation than one be shot - which made it clear to me anti hunters are not concerned with conservation or species but ONLY in their own opinion, The anti hunters fuel this with misinformation on Facebook cites like LION AID and LIONS FOR AFRICA - hence the need for every concerned hunter to visit these cites and fight them with the truth.
Happy hunting Graeme Pollock

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

Exactly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote