Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Management
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
This was taught to me...by my Ph, when I told him I was buying the Ruger in 458 Lott...His exact words were " you won't get the snot kicked out of you..."
It is isometric exercises and it works..
My forend hand pushes the rifle into my shoulder...my pistol grip hand pushes it away from the shoulder...The rifle is against the shoulder just like a firm handshake...The hands are holding the rifle with a crushing handshake...Your arms are flexed and tensed, just like showing off your muscles...When fired your arms take the recoil like shockabsorbers...
This takes practice to perfect, but I can tell you from experience the rifle only goes up about 6 inches and is right back ready to fire is a sec...I fired 14 shots in an hour and no bruising or soreness face or shoulder...I did have a video clip of me firing three rapid fire shots at 25yds and they were all inside of a 6inch circle in 6 seconds...Wife shot it with camera...
I have a 990 decelerator pad and I use those hand wrist strengtheners to get grip strong..
Keep face tight on stock cheekpiece.
See you all in Dallas

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I will have to try it

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have practicing something similar to that with my AHR 458 Lott as well. Sort of a "Weaver Stance" for rifles.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
That's the way I do it too. That is why I don't get scope bites nor knuckles busted, nor bloodied nose. Get a good grip and don't let the rifle slide.

This TECHNIQUE does require coordination of a relaxed trigger finger of the gripping hand, and proper tension and relaxation everywhere else too.

However, anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time, should be able to perfect it. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use a variation of this technique. I do just the oposite and push the rifle away from my shoulder with my left hand and pull back against my shoulder with my right hand. I find it easier to pull the rifle with my shooting hand then my weak had on the foreend. The shape of the pistol grip lends assistance to this technique. It was the technique originaly taught for shooting the Thompson submachine gun.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
BTT

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike I tried your method on holding my .375 and it worked great. The first time I fired my .375 I though I had made a big mistake buying it, but after using the push-pull with the arms, there was no problem holding the rifle stead. If I ever run into you I owe you dinner.

Snyder

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Snyder, Now you are ready to shoot any boomer...You have just mastered rifle control...
With more practice it will become second nature..
Come to Dallas for next years convention there will be a done of guys there back from safaris and you can get a upclose personal opins from all us us who returned from safaris the past year...

Mike thumb

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
BTT

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I was always taught to grip the rifle tightly (but not with a death grip), and pull it with both hands back and hard into my shoulder.

The object is to join one's body mass with the rifle's mass as one unit. For me, this method controls the recoil forces and muzzle flip very well and makes for easy and fluid rifle management.

This method has worked for me for rifles of all bore sizes that I have tried, up to and including the limit I have tried so far, a .500 A2 with well over 100 pounds of recoil energy.

To each his own method, of course. But this one has always worked well for me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
"However, anyone who can walk and chew gum at the same time, should be able to perfect it." - RIP

Forget about Me Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful, I was not one time and pushed stock slightly away with my 470 NE & it kicked the crap out of me. My dumb mistake and I paid for it.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike This method sounds good but it leaves me to wonder just how accurate can a person learn to be when tensed up and shooting off hand. What is a reasonable goal in speed and accuracy with a big bore when firing say 4 shots in quick procession, bearing in mind that it will take substantial practice to do so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
zigfreed

You will shoot better this way, just like you use a push-pull when you shoot a handgun. You aren't tensing up, just pushing both directions not hard and tense.

465H&H

It does seem more natural to pull in with the pistol grip hand, but it also makes it more natural to jerk the trigger or flinch when pulling backward. Pushing with the trigger hand while squeezing the trigger makes it difficult and less likely to flinch IMO. I pull in with the off hand, slightly forward and down with the trigger hand.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I was always taught to grip the rifle tightly (but not with a death grip), and pull it with both hands back and hard into my shoulder.

The object is to join one's body mass with the rifle's mass as one unit. For me, this method controls the recoil forces and muzzle flip very well and makes for easy and fluid rifle management.

This method has worked for me for rifles of all bore sizes that I have tried, up to and including the limit I have tried so far, a .500 A2 with well over 100 pounds of recoil energy.

To each his own method, of course. But this one has always worked well for me.

X2...

This is how I shoot big bores also...

No one taught this to me I just learned through trial and error...

Not much different than shooting regular recolling rifles, just grip tighter and pull back harder...

As MR said "to each his own" so I figure as long as you are not hurting yourself and your shots are going where they are supposed to be going than your doing something right...

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread but there was a reference to it in a current thread.

I also use this technique but in reverse. Pull with trigger hand, push with forehand.

Took some practice to get used to but it works!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Nah ! The method I like to see is where rifleman rests with his back against a tree. The shooter must press hard against the tree, pull the rifle firmly into his shoulder and touch off. Lots of good things happen; the shooters sinuses are clear for life, all those nagging tooth fillings are out and there is another cheap gun for sale. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Nah ! The method I like to see is where rifleman rests with his back against a tree. The shooter must press hard against the tree, pull the rifle firmly into his shoulder and touch off. Lots of good things happen; the shooters sinuses are clear for life, all those nagging tooth fillings are out and there is another cheap gun for sale. Big Grin

criptus, I like your sense of humor, but you also need to warn the less informed clearly about this. shame Nevertheless I'm sure this is a good way to sort the men from the boys that are posing as real men? Big Grin

Warning: Actually trying this with anything with more recoil than a .223 or at most a .243 will really result in another gun up for sale cheap! Never under any circumstances do it with a real heavy recoiling firearm!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
With doubles at least I approach it with an agressive mind set. I grab the rifle firmly and lean forward into it. As far as recoil management/muzzle rise is concerned if your body is weight neutral or weight rearward to offset the weight of the rifle it's over before it began...........I would hope that would be pretty obvious, but then again I've seen some experienced shooters make this mistake.....perhaps unconsiously though.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
retreever,

Thank you very much. thumb

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
This was taught to me...by my Ph, when I told him I was buying the Ruger in 458 Lott...His exact words were " you won't get the snot kicked out of you..."
It is isometric exercises and it works..
My forend hand pushes the rifle into my shoulder...my pistol grip hand pushes it away from the shoulder...The rifle is against the shoulder just like a firm handshake...The hands are holding the rifle with a crushing handshake...Your arms are flexed and tensed, just like showing off your muscles...When fired your arms take the recoil like shockabsorbers...
This takes practice to perfect, but I can tell you from experience the rifle only goes up about 6 inches and is right back ready to fire is a sec...I fired 14 shots in an hour and no bruising or soreness face or shoulder...I did have a video clip of me firing three rapid fire shots at 25yds and they were all inside of a 6inch circle in 6 seconds...Wife shot it with camera...
I have a 990 decelerator pad and I use those hand wrist strengtheners to get grip strong..
Keep face tight on stock cheekpiece.
See you all in Dallas

Mike

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mike's technique - which I never heard of until he called me one eveing - works great! Those spring hand grip things that look like big clothes pins were another of his suggestions that truly help.

tu2 tu2 tu2

Thanks Mike.

Hopefully I can keep my head on straight and remember to use that technique when facing Jumbo in two weeks time ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I also use a variation of this technique. I do just the oposite and push the rifle away from my shoulder with my left hand and pull back against my shoulder with my right hand. I find it easier to pull the rifle with my shooting hand then my weak had on the foreend. The shape of the pistol grip lends assistance to this technique. It was the technique originaly taught for shooting the Thompson submachine gun.

465H&H

465H&H beat me to it...but his method is how I do it as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I know this is an old thread but there was a reference to it in a current thread.

I also use this technique but in reverse. Pull with trigger hand, push with forehand.

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike had me try this with my .500 NE and it does work. Just have to practice maintaining the grip on follow up shots.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

tu2

tu2 me too

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Btt

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you're better off pulling the rifle into your shoulder with both hands. The tighter the "bond,"the more the rifle and your body will recoil as one unit, as opposed to the rifle slamming into your shoulder at some velocity.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my .458,.405 and .375, I rest the rifle on my hand on the sticks and pull in tight to my shoulder with my right hand. I always lean into the gun. No bad recoil problems.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timg953:
On my .458,.405 and .375, I rest the rifle on my hand on the sticks and pull in tight to my shoulder with my right hand. I always lean into the gun. No bad recoil problems.

Yes but you are talking about the 405, 375, and 458(Win? instead of Lott?). Move on up to the real big boys and you'll need a better plan!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Here is a little clip of my 110 pound daughter firing a 600 overkill with a 900 gr bullet moving around 2200fps.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Phil,

That's a hand full of gun for a small young lady. Looks like she handled it fine. Did she shoot it again? hilbily

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Give her our congratulations. It's more gun than I want to shoot.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Give her our congratulations. It's more gun than I want to shoot.

Me too!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phil,

That's a hand full of gun for a small young lady. Looks like she handled it fine. Did she shoot it again? hilbily

After that shot she stepped back up and fired it again. Than all the guys who had been standing by deciding if they wanted to fire it had no choice.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

After that shot she stepped back up and fired it again. Than all the guys who had been standing by deciding if they wanted to fire it had no choice.

Yep. Put up or shut up time at that point!