New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jaw's of Simba
 Login/Join

<10point>
posted
Boy I dont know how the "staged" video's look with Dangerous animals in Africa but I can tell you this video is the "real deal".

Its a well made video, and a very good cut "edit", by some fella's who really want more then just blood & gut's in their video's. It was sombody here, I forget who, that recomended I buy this video, as well as "Zambian Safari". I really enjoyed them both. I talked to one of the Videographer's, on the phone, who is involed on the production end of these video's, and I think they have a good outlook on tapeing hunts, even tho he himself doesnt hunt.

That is "to let the hunt itself make the video"! Thas why I tell guy's "we have to do it right and do it right the first time". To many hunter's I know think that everything can be fixed in Post and that simply isnt true. Anyway I really like the way these guy's put a video together.

The actual Lion charge on the tape is pretty frightening. There's no question NOTHING was staged here, the client involved "Wex Hixon" is also the owner of the company behind the video. It would have been easy for him to have "blown off" responsability for the bad first shot that crippled the critter, and , later caused injury to his PH. Instead he owned up to it very well and I think brough credit to himself for his honesty.

Lets face it, it could have happened to any of us. He got pretty emotional talking about it. His , "Wes" , initial shot on that Lion was to far back and it could have just as easily caused the death of his PH. I give the man credit ; He stood his ground and helped kill the Lion dureing the charge , and , he owned up to it pretty well afterwards like a man. You could tell he was troubled by the whole thing and he knew they got off lucky.

Overall a good video. Some lovely scene's of Tanzania's hunting lands and , most of all, a very respectful recounting of an actual Lion charge. These guy's did nothing to glamorize or blow that charge into something it wasnt. They just showed what was and in so doing showed respect for the animal, the sport, and most of all, the intelligance of their hunter's/vewier's who would later see it.

good shooting........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that the same Wes Hixon that has the booking service? I've talked with him a few times.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm the one who suggested it to you. Glad you liked it. Did you like the other one also? Did you think the last scene where the buff got up and charged was staged? and if not staged, certainly poor judgement on every ones part. But all in all, two of the better videos out there I believe.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree.

To me it looks like Hixon gut shot the lion on purpose. Otherwise, he is not a very good shot.

Also, I was very suspicious that there was an 'extra' PH on hand for tracking the wounded lion. Maybe they expected to have to track a wounded lion from the getgo?

That video was playing at the Hixon booth at SCI, and it created a circus. I wanted no part of it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this tape, but I would be appalled to find out that someone intentionally gut shot a lion for the sake of a video. I guess that it is possible, as we 'know' that it has been done with buffalo, but gut shooting a lion is not only a crime against the animal, it wins the all-time award for abject stupidity! Does anyone else who has seen this tape agree with 500 grains's assessment?

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't think the video indicates that Mr. Hixon gut-shot the lion on purpose.

I like both videos. I think the quality is excellent. The videos give a very good idea of what it is like to be on safari. Not just a bunch of shots and kills.

I particularly like it when the PH (Jaco du Plessis) scolds the hunter. When a buffalo is shot, Jaco says "shoot him again". The bull runs off before a second shot is fired and the PH says "Wes, you have to be quicker."

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the video but I bet dollars to donuts I can watch it and tell you if he gut shot that Lion on purpose....How far away was the Lion and was he standing or running, what are the circumstances???

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The lion was trotting away from a bait, having been disturbed by the approach of the hunters. Hixon took a snap shot through low bush and a few trees. Range is hard to determine, but probably 75 yards. Light was good. I don't believe he gut shot the animal on purpose. He was however probably feeling some pressure to get a lion kill on video - having struck out in the same area on an earlier hunt, which is all part of the same video. It's not unusual to have extra PH's in camp, or hunting another part of a concession, who will drop what they are doing to assist a colleague. There could have been another party hunting the same area that wasn't part of the video. To say that just because there was another PH around means that Hixon staged a gut shot lion is pretty far-fetched. As far as the spectacle aspect of hunting and it's marketing, I couldn't agree more. Precisely why you'll never see me spend a dime to enrich a certain other American "PH" who really is a total discredit to the hunting ethic. Talk about staged shots. Let's give old Wes a break on this one.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500grains:
500 Grains which video did you watch. I had to watch it again just to see what you were on about. I think your off the wall on this one. It was the last day of the season and the Lion was trotting off quartering away and shot too far back. If there was a mistake it was to take the shot at all. On a snap decision I guess Wes thought he could make the shot which was taken off hand only to find out he was in the five ring. He imeediatly took a second shot but missed. So he was definately trying to put an end to the problem. I found both of Wes's videos to be first class and he was a true gentleman to talk to at his SCI booth. Did you notice the PH's rifle needed a little rail work. Just after they showed the picture of Peter's father with the elephant tusks he's walking away and tried to chamber a round. As soon as he pulled his bolt back the top cartridge popped out of the magazine back first. Could this be a reason that a second shot could not be taken? 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the range looked about 75 yards and the lion was quartering away. I would say he was moving faster than a quick walk but slower than a trot. On north american game, I would not consider it a particularly difficult shot. However, Hixon did shoot from shooting sticks most of the time, so...

Maybe I am just too suspicious because of some other videos out there. But I think I smell a setup.

I will have to watch the tape again to catch that bit of the cartridge popping up. I bet it is hard to find a good gunsmith within a day's drive of the concession.

Wasn't Hixon using a M700?

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 08-10-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
I saw Wes Hixon at the Reno convention a couple of years ago and he was showing his video. I just don't believe it was a set up. I have watched it over and over. Quite thrilling to say the least. I think someone would have to be mindless to stage that.
Wasn't the PH's name Peter Chipman? I asked our PH in Tanzania if he ever heard of him but he said he didn't know him. Seems like he would be tops to hunt with. I also saw the cartridge derail. (the PH's) The rifle looks like a Rigby to me but isn't it belted? I also wondered if his rifle did malfunction during the attack. I bet he maybe carrying a double by now.

<IronMan>
posted
500grains,

I think you are wrong this time...I belive Hixon was doing his best to put the animal down as quickly as possible...I will watch the video again but I don�t think I will change my mind even if I see it seventy more times.

have a nice day

/IronMan

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
It was not a set up by any stretch. Really chilling!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
It was not a set up by any stretch. Really chilling!

I do have the Zambian Safari tape and enjoyed it. I have not seen the Simba tape, but in the Zambian tape you will notice Wes gets quite excited and has a tough time hitting properly what he wants to hit. This leads me to believe that the poor placed shot in Simba is legitimate.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this Simba tape. I watched it with a PH and outfitter who was visiting here in Nebraska. It was the first time either of us had seen it. He stated emphatically that he would not have allowed that shot to be taken on that lion. It was a "No Shoot" situation that was pressed, and like what normally happen when you push your luck, the s*** hit the fan.
Thankfully, no one was killed, but it wouldn't have taken much to have had a different outcome. Be careful and be sure!

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Does anyone here really think that someone is going to purposely wound a Lion, whilst getting your PH bit, for the purpose of making a video ? I think that some people overstate the profits made from a video. To begin with you'd never get a cameraman to go along with you scheme, never. OK...here's the Lion hunt...............................................
......No, no way. Maybe he shouldnt have shot, but, thats something thats easy to say from here. Now that PH took a pretty bad injury and unless they had access to a circus performing Lion I just dont see how any of that can be faked.

I think that thats one of those times in life when you just happen to be in the right, or wrong, place in the right, or wrong, time. I stand by what I originally said, there's no way this was staged........10

<IronMan>
posted
10point,

I totally agree with you. everything you wrote was right if you ask me.

Maybe he shouldn�t have taken the shot but that�s easy for us to say now and that doesn�t meen he placed the bullet bad on purpose!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentelmen, I have this tape, and I have watched this sequince many times, and talked to Peter Chipman. It is my opinion that there is nothing staged about this lion charge, or the reason the lion was wounded in the first place. I also cought the failier to chamber on Peter's rifle, but I can't say, form the pictures, why this happened. The cartridge his rifle is chambered for is 458 Win mag. Wes was useing a 700 416 Rem Mag, the other PH was useing a BRNO 602 probably in either 375 H&H, or 458 Win Mag. All three hit the lion during the charge, and only one other hit was regestered, and that was the one Wes put through the lion's head, after the lion had Peter down.

If you will notice the charge it's self was shown in slow motion, and even in the SloMo it is a short time. I'm not saying Peter's rifle did not malfuntion, but it makes no difference anyway, in this case. The time it takes a lion to charge 20 yds as it was here, considering a lion can cover 100 yds in 3.5 seconds, is too short to be able to recover from recoil, work a bolt, and get back on target. You will notice there were three rifles invloved here, and none fired a second shot in the charge before the lion was on Peter. Peter had already been bitten, and taken down before Wes could get another round into the rifle and move in for the "IN THE EAR" kill that saved Peter's bacon. A very brave move on the part of Wes Hixon, IMO!

This sequince is the finest evidence available for the need of a double rifles in close encounters of this type, especially where lions are concerened. Here, if all three had been armed with doubles, there would have been time to fire six shots, rather than three during this close charge. The lion might still have gotten on Peter, but it would have doubled the chances against it, with the doubles. Additionally someone expressed suspicion about the second PH on the scene. This is not unusual at all where a wounded lion is involved. Many camps have two PHs in camp, as this one did, because of haveing two hunters in the same camp. A radio call to the other PH would bring him quickly to help with this. Since they were all armed with bolt rifles, the need for the other two rifles was a no brainer, and even two people with doubles would have fired one more round than the three fired from the three bolt rifles.

In the first place a person would have to be brain dead to try to induce a close charge from a lion. This could be done with Buffalo, as they are quite a bit slower than a lion, but I don't think even the harrassed charges with Buffalo, we are familiar with, are not the result of purposely wounding to get, IMO. I believe these buffalo charges are simply takeing advantage of the animal's perdicament, to get footage.
Not that I agree with that either, but I doubt the buffalo are porposely wounded.
NO, Gentelmen, I believe this is a real charge prodused by perfectly honest misplaced shot on a moveing target, nothing more.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, please next time, hit the spell check button...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Bobby, are all people in France that rude,Or is it just you?

I would be glad to use the spell check if it worked, but it doesn't, so maybe you can do the corrections if they are that important to you.

I was just wondering if you understood what I was trying to say,in my post. If you did, why does the spelling bother you so much? I don't know how long you've been posting on these forums, but it is considered very ill mannered to call attention to spelling or grammer. That is your problem, however, and it is easy to skip my posts all together, I suggest you do that in future!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-11-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the last scene in the first video where Wes and the PH are standing around talking with the buff still alive in the background...is this arrogance on their part or were they "inducing" a charge?

Oh! Sumtims my finngers have truble speling two. Dun't wury we unnerstand watt you mien.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
DB, I just watched that part of the film for the twentyith time, and There is no question Wes is tired out, and with two shot from 15 yds into the spine, and the buffalo lying still for so long, I probably would have thought he was down for the count as well. If a charge were being hoped forI don't think Wes would have taken the last round out of his rifle. I think this only demonstrates the old adage often used in reference to dangerous game, "IT'S THE DEAD ONES THAT GET UP AND KILL YOU"

In any event that place looks like home to me. I have hunted Buffalo in the "UPPER LUPANDE" many times over the years, and I find it one of the best places for both Cape buffalo, and a general bag. The lion population is high, and you see Leopard in the day time while driveing around. This is my favorite place in the world to hunt, in last week of June through July. The herds of buffalo are huge, and though Elephant aren't on licenses, they are abundant! Great place!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-11-2001).]

<10point>
posted

Well I slowed this footage down even more, the actual 29.97 fps footage at the end there, and Im kinda amazed that all three got telling shot's into the Lion as they did.

That one shot literally broke the jawbone of the beast, man you have to see it on slow-mo to really appreciate it. I will go further in not just saying this wasnt "intentional", yes maybe Wes shouldnt have shot, maybe it could have happened to any of us I dont know. And I dont think this is the place to say it, I say that for one reason only.

These guy's stood their ground, had the balls to go in after the cat and sort him out. They got 3 "telling" shot's into him, disableing the Lion, and then they kept their heads and saved their friend. I think they took a bad situation and they finished it in a fantastic manner, very brave and very professional.

Are they commercializing the thing ? Well, maybe a little. But they were there shooting video, the thing happened, and really dont they have a responsability to bring it to hunters ? as the way it happened ?

I dont know Wes Hixon but I could tell he was shaken, and embarrassed, and emotional. They only showed the muffed initial shot once but the man took responsability for it. He went into the bush after this monster and he put the bullets where they counted. I think he did well.

How many of you PH's had clients that refused to go into the bush to sort out a wonded animal ? ,or, even worse, were hunting with a guy you didnt even want with you when you went in after him ?

I know I learned , or relearned, a few things from this video. The most important thing is that there aint no getting that bullet back once youv touched it off , and , the best thing a hunter can have is a bit of humility.

I think Wes has that gift of "a bit of humility". I liked the way he presented himself and the way the whole incident was presented. The word "Honestly" seem's to fit right in on that one there........good shooting..........10

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 10point:
10point,
I agree with you 100%. Both of Wes's videos are excellent and the way it is or could be so to look and learn is in everyone's favor.
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Now folks, the last two posts by 10Point, and 470 Mbogo, show some real class! NUFF SAID!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

<10point>
posted
BTW there were 7 shot's taken at that Lion. The 2nd shot, of the charge, broke the beast's Jaw and probably was the shot that saved PH's Peter Chipmans life. When the Lion charged him, at the moment it was on him, he had taken 3 shot's already. #1, The initial gut-shot, which, by the way the Lion had kept running afterwards had very little effect on him, the Lion ran away strong from this shot. #2, A shot to the chest, by Chipman, right at the beginning of the charge. Chipman was the first to see the Lion and his initial shot , with his .458Win, had little initial effect on the Lion and would not have saved him if the shooting had ended there. The 1st shot, Chipmans, occurred .11 seconds into the charge ; The 2nd shot, 2nd PH, came .24 seconds into the charge.

It was this 3rd shot, 2nd of the charge, that really saved him. This shot was made by the 2nd PH in the group and broke the beast's jaw. When the Lion reached Chipman it leaped and went for his throat for the kill. The Lion must have gotten quite a shot of pain and it discovered its mouth was not working , at which time, it made a grab for Chipman and dragged him down with its claw's. I think that if the 2nd shot of the charge, by the other PH, had not taken the cat's jaw's out of the equation Chipman would be dead.

Up to this point Hixon had not shot yet. I think he made the 3rd shot, with the Lion on the ground, trying to wrestle Chipman down.......Yes Im sure of it, I see the smoke coming from his rifle. This shot has UNK effect but it did show good sight picture control because up to this time Hixon did not have a clear shot at the animal. The 3rd shot of the charge came at 3.13 seconds into the charge.

Its here that Hixon show's his courage. The three hunter's were lined up with Chipman on the far left, the 2nd PH in the middle, and Hixon on the far right. When the Lion attacked Chipman , Hixon, was the farthest from it. The man never hesitated, he ran from his "farthest away" position straight to the Lion that was mauling his friend.

At this time the 4th shot of the charge was taken by the 2nd PH, with UNK effect, 4.18 seconds into the charge. This was a blind spot in the tape as , Im sure, the cameraman made a quick check to make sure he had an escape route.

The 5th shot knocked the cat off of chipman, and I think was the actual killing shot. It came at 6.12 sec's. into the charge and was made by Hixon at almost touching distance to the cat. He just put the rifles barrel, almost, up against the cats head and pulled the trigger, knocking the cat back off of Chapman. This shot was made by Hixon coming from "farthest away" position to , almost, touching distance.

The 6th shot of the charge was made by the PH .48 sec's. later with unk effect. The last shot , 7th, was made by Hixon 7.25 sec's. into the event. At this time the cat was down and Hixon took an "aimed shot" into him from about 5 or 6' away, I would have to call it a "hit".

Peter Chipman did an outstanding job of keeping his limb's down, not making any sudden movements, and really helping his hunters take out the cat, and not him. You can tell he made a concious effort to give the shooter's a clear,or as clear as possible, line of sight to finish the Lion off.

From the time that Lion started his charge to that final , aimed , shot, about 7&1/2 seconds transpired.

Out of a total 7 shots being fired dureing the charge I could only comfirm 4 of the shots actually hitting the Lion, tho its very possible more did.

It was the 5th shot, taken by Hixon at near touching distance, that put the Lion down. Im comfortable in saying that this was actually the "killing shot".

When the Lion started its charge Hixon was on the right, farthest from the animal. When the cat jumped on Chapman Hixon ran right up to the Lion, Oh about 15' to 20', in order to position himself for the killing shot. He stopped himself about halfway to take the 3rd shot of the charge, his first, which I cant say was a hit or not. There's no doubt that Hixon put himself in great danger, within swipeing distance, in order to save his friend.

The final tally was Chapman 1-shot, the first of the charge with his .458Win, into the chest of the cat, whcih failed to stop the charge.

The 2nd PH took 3 shot's,#2-#4-and #6, includeing the 2nd shot of the charge which broke the Lion's Jaw whcih prevented the beast from getting a good neck hold on Chapman, certainly saveing him from a terrible injury, if not death being so far from medical help.

Hixon took 3 shot's, #3-#5-and #7, includeing the shot, #5, which knocked the cat off of Chapman possibly saveing his life. At the time of this 5th shot the cat was on all four feet, was working away at Chapmans left leg, and even without the use of his Jaw's could have possible inflicted a mortal wound, possibly damageing one of the leg's big vein's or arteries. I think that at the time of this shot the Lion was still pretty strong and was still a very big problem.

Sorry to be so long winded but thats how I see it. I analyzed and presented the available facts just as I would have in a court of Law. I dont know any of these people but I have to say they handled a pretty lousy situation pretty well. I think Wes Hixon behaved with great courage the way he charged over to where that Lion was attacking his friend, there's just no other way to interpret the video evidence.

Maybe he shouldnt have taken that inital shot, maybe he should have. I dont think this is the place or time to 2nd guess that, it happened. On the last day of a safari like that, with the baits needing to get pulled down after the afternoon's hunt, and with such a dandy Lion showing up like that, with only a few hour's of shooting light left, who know's how many of us would have taken that same shot ?

I suspect the number's of those of us who actually would have are higher then the number's of us who would say "yes" on an internet forumn, possibly much higher.

Again there is just no way any of this was "set-up". As a videomaker I can also say that there are no suspicious signs the actual events were altered, at a later time, in any way.

Good shooting..........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading the posts, it appears that Wes took the shot in good faith and screwed it up, I know you guys won't believe this but I have done the same thing on more than one occasion!!

99.9% of all charges come from screw-ups, and 100% of mine have..Wouldn't have it any other way, wouldn't change a thing, except I wish the video stuff had been available when I was younger...

I think a lot a people are naturally suspicious because some individuals have produced videos that are believed to be instigated, and that fact is overly obvious and admitted as a matter of fact....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can I find these videos? Thanks.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, I agree with you. I can't say that in the same circumstances that I would absolutely not shoot. And there maybe wouldn't be time to tell a hunter "No Shoot!".
I suspect that shots have been fired several times after a "NoShoot" order from the PH had been given.
I think it says volumes about Hixon that he was allowed to help sort out the lion. If the PH did not have absolute faith that Hixon was cool headed enough to handle it, and shoot the lion instead of the PH, wouldn't he have been forced to wait in the truck or camp?

Someone who has NEVER wounded an animal, has not hunted much, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Bill in NE (edited 08-12-2001).]

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
Yukon you can check them out at "Throughthecrosshairs.com", or, you can call them at 404-365-9934.

Bill I'd say your right. On a big money safari ? on the last day of it ? with just a few hours of shooting light left ? Then all of a sudden, out of no-where, a dandy black maned male cat show's up on the bait.

Boy that would be a tough one to pass up on. From what I could see the cat was only trotting away, he wasnt running. I think that if someone was a really good offhand shot it was probably makeable , it looked about 75 yrds away. I dont think I would have taken it, but then again! Boy it would have been tempting.

I can say that , say, on a big Kudu I definatey woulkd have taken the shot. It wasnt that hard. But on such a dangerous animal like a big male Lion ? Boy, with even a shred of doubt ?

The whole thing is a very fascinateing discussion topic, Im really glad they got it on video and were able to toss it about here. I dont blame guy's for being a bit skeptical about what they see in hunting video's ; It seem's there's so many out there everyone is looking for some gimmick, or way to sell, some way to spice up a video.

Those "Black Death" video's generated a lot of controversey that , in turn, probably generated a lot lot of money for the guy. I personaly have no interest in video's that stray, in any way, from the actual the actual hunting. Ther's always a bit of production you have to do, fill shot's that must be taped separately. But if done tastefully, and conservatively, you probably never even notice them.

I also enjoy the "non-hunting" content of a hunting video. Especially with "Africa" hunting video's because everything about the place fascinates me. The "Jaw's of Simba" had some "non-hunting" content about the Massai tribe that I found very interesting.

In the end I think that a good video is one that "tell's a good story", thats really what its all about. You dont even have to have 90 minutes that are all drenched in blood , just telling a good story, with good pure content, will get you good review's in Internet hunting forumns.....good shooting......10

<10point>
posted
I just want to correct my above statement that "there were seven shot's taken at that Lion". There WERE 7 shot's taken dureing the 7&1/2 seconds of the "charge" but 2 shots were taken by Hixon initially, one of which wounded the Lion in the gut.

The first shot was a Gut-shot and Hixon's 2nd shot went high. Alltogether there were "9" shot's taken at the Lion dureing the entire incident, 7 of which were taken dureing the charge, after, the beast was located.

I was able to come up with the time's by captureing the video of the charge sequence , and measureing the spike's "gunshot's" in the waveform , or , the time between the spike's. While not exact its pretty close and its gives a pretty good reason to buy a CRF for a DG rifle.

Dureing a high stress incident like that its amazing how fast one can shuck and load shell's. I dont know about the othe two, the PH's, but Hixon was shooting a non-CRF M-700 in .416. I have never personaly short-stroked a push feed rifle but I certainly see the reason why experienced Africa hands demand a CRF in their safari rifle's, just from watching , and accessing, this incident.

good shooting........10

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
10Point, I think you better watch that film one more time! The first shot was by Wess, in the gut, the second shot also by Wess,missed. The first during the charge, was by Peter,in the chest,458 Win Mag,NO EFFECT. The second shot was by"WESS"416 Rem Mag, also in the chest,ALSO NO EFFECT. The third shot was by Mohamid,the other PH, 375 H&H, or 458 W-M, that broke the jaw, and the fourth, and last shot during the charge, was by Wess in the head from six inches! Of the six shots fired at this lion five hit him.

The lion did not bite Peter, because Peter shouved his rifle in the lion's mouth,when he realized he could not get back on the lion, as he went down. The first time the lion used his teeth on Peter was just as Wess shot him in the head, that and the broken jaw saved a severe bit.

There were a total of six shots fired "AT" the lion, with five hitting him. One by Peter, four by Wess, and one by Mohamid. After the enitial shot that wounded the lion,and the miss, "IF" the follow-up had been with all three of these men useing double rifles, there would have been a total of eight shots fired at this lion in stead of six. The wounding shot, and the miss, then two shots by Peter, two shots By Wess, and two from the other PH,for eight shots seven of them hitting the lion,in the same amount of time, and there probably would not have been a scratch on Peter! "IF" If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumps!, but I think in this case the "IF" would have been a very good idea!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 08-12-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Quite coincidentally Wes killed the lion with the one you are suppose to use in the first place...wait til they bite the end of the barrel and then blow there brains out. What rookies!

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will....if that's the shot you suggest I am certainly going to a much, much longer barrel for my DGR/

<10point>
posted
Damn! I just typed out about a 1/2 hour dissertation about how I came to my conclusion's. Then AOL dumped me before I could post.

I cant go thru that again. First off Mac here is a pic of the actual digital video clip of the charge sequence. As you can see there are "7" audio spike's , in the waveform, that represent the "7" shot's that were actually fired dureing the charge. Up at the top you can see the time in seconds, and also see how I came to the conclusion that the actual charge lasted about 7&1/2 sec's. Here's the waveform.

1st lets see if that loads and I'll go on about how I came to my conclusion's. Remember I have investigated lots of shooting's and its not unusual for people to NOT remember the actual facts after going thru such a horrendous event. Ive had 7 witness's give 7 totally different accounts of the ONE actual incident. This isnt unusual..........10

[This message has been edited by 10point (edited 08-13-2001).]

<10point>
posted
I give up. Does anyone know why this picture wont load ?....:-(.....10

<10point>
posted

<IronMan>
posted
10point:

If you have Photoshop or Paintshop (probably works with other similar programs too) you can take a screenshot instead. Then the quality will be better then a photo of the computerscreen.

How do you do it?
* Press the "Print Scrn/ SysRq"-button
* Open Photoshop (or whatever)
* "File" --> "new" (you now have a new document)
* "Edit" --> "Paste"

It sounds more difficult then it is. I hope it helps.

/IronMan

<10point>
posted
OK that first shot " first spike in the waveform" is when Peter first shot the beast when he came out of the Bush. Now I am taking Wes's word on this that it was a chest shot with "no effect". I have no way of independently verifying this.

The second shot caused a large distention of the Lion's upper jaw. I saw it in the frame's, and I saw the Lion slowed a bit. THIS was the shot that broke the Lion's jaw, and according to the video was made by Mohamid.

The Lion then leaped for Peter. When he leaped for Peter the cat tried to work his mouth, for the neck bite, and also because Peter shoved his rifle at him. It was at this time that the Lion changed his method of attack and went for the WWF "takedown".

Now if a Lion can hold on to a bucking Buff's neck do you really think that a puny Human can cause the beast to change his favorite method of killing by shoving a rifle in his face ? I think not! I think the only effect shoving that rifle had was it caused the Lion to realize his Jaw was broke , and THAT pain caused him to go for the 2nd attack. Again if I didnt have the video proof that the Lion was hit in the jaw by that second bullet I wouldnt say that.

I base my opinion's on the cycle of shooting between the two guy's, other then Peter, mostly on the fact that it takes a certain amount of time to cycle a bolt action, check your target, and shoot. Those two guy's, Wes and Mohamid, have to account for the six audio spikes you see after the first. THEY shot 6 times dureing the charge.

Things get hazy there between shots 3 to 5. Thats when the cameraman is moving. But I do believe I see smoke coming from Wes's gun from shot #3 ; I also see what appears to be a bullet impacting behind the Lion from this same shot. After shot #3 I see Wes raising the rifle to his chest "cycleing the bolt".

As you can see from the digital evidence there was almost 2 sec's. between shot's 4 & 5. I dont think that was enough time for Wes to take both shot's, Mohamid HAD to take #4. Now shot 5 was the shot that threw the Lion off of Peter, that is clear. I would say the physical evidence supports that as much as it supports the statement "7 shot's were fired dureing the charge".

The evidence clearly show's Wes up against the Lion, and the Lion being thrown back by shot #5. There's also no doubt that Wes took shot #7 because the evidence show's him raising his rifle, aiming, and being thrown back by the recoil.

Thats "7" shot's Mac. You see it and you should be able to hear it. It all becomes much clearer when you capture it on computer and go frame by frame, counting the cycle's of rifle bolt rotation. I would also say Im 90% sure it was the second shot that broke the Lion's jaw "based on the impact in the video and the Lion's change of attack immediatly after". I would say Im 95% sure it was shot #5 that killed the Lion. Im 100% sure that 7 shot's were fired dureing the charge.

There are other possibilities that could have happened. But they have to include 7 shot's fired, 6 by Wes and Mohamid. I think Wes and Mohamid each fired 3 times. Wes was carrying a .416 M-700 and probably had two in the mag and one in the bolt. I'd also say you need 2 to 3 seconds to cycle and aim at a moving target. THAT is the primary evidence I base this theory on, the "cycleing rate".

As I said earlier, Im sure nobody is lieing or distorting the truth. These guy's did very well, especially Wes Hixon, better probably then I could have done. People just plain dont remember facts after a stressfull shooting, thats the way it is. To have fired more then you think you did is very common among Police Officer's.

I dont think hunter's stopping a Lion charge would be any different..........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crumbs Rick, were you on the Warren Commission? I think you need to analyse the Zapruder tape again and let's find out who REALLY capped JFK!!! hehe!!!

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote