THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lion Hunting - After the CITES uplisting!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Hunting - After the CITES uplisting!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I couldn't agree with you more and I find it astounding that CF get as much done as they seem to with what (from what I can find out) seems to be such a relatively small support base.

I don't know if they get additional support from the larger organisations(?) but can't find any evidence of that on the CF site and I guess that probably means they get little or no support from those organisations. If that is the case, I think it's a great shame and one has to wonder why not?

Small time politics perhaps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks - Below is another excerpt from a CF bulletin sent to me just a few minutes ago by JJ. You can clearly see, the USFWS seems to have their OWN set of rules. It seems to often be with them that if you don't like the way the game is played, just change the rules!!

"The downside of the regulations include the complete rejection of the Resolutions of CITES intended to provide guidance for importation of Appendix 1 hunting trophies. The Service expressly states it will not honor CITES quotas but instead will have to make its own non-detriment determination. Second, the Service will not accept the biological findings of exporting nations for Appendix 1 species as Resolution 2.11 revised provides. Nor will it limit its examination. Instead the Service reasons it must make its own biological and management findings independently to determine that the “purpose” of the import is not detrimental. This is a circular rationale that we’ve not seen before, but it codifies the longstanding practice of the Service that has made importation of trophies from new destinations all but impossible in practice. The Service now has regulations that directly conflict with the two Resolutions of CITES covering hunting trophies and knows well that it is in direct conflict with Resolutions aimed at the Service because of its past and present unilateral practices. Its attitude in the past and “low priority” treatment of import permit applications have caused a host of problems for hunters and range nations alike.

The regulations also change the definition of “hunting trophy”. The term no longer includes any “utilitarian” object manufactured from the animal, such as jewelry, elephant hair bracelets, clothing, bookends, etc. Those have to be coded as “P” for “personal” items but no longer should be coded as “H” designating hunting trophies. It is not clear in the case of Appendix 1 species if import of such items is prohibited and will be seized as contraband or simply need to be coded “P” for personal. We are seeking clarification. The final regulations imply that these non-trophy items are still importable if coded properly as “P” for personal. The explanation of the change is rather sparse considering the importance and the nature of the change. Do you include the items in your permit application as additional “personal” items? How is the USF&WS going to treat exporting nations that describe the items as trophies?"

Steve - I think you hit it on the head, SMALL TIME POLITICS. More of us should support CF, I cannot think of an organization that works harder for our hunting rights.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron, it seems to get curiouser and curiouser as the saying goes.

Does anyone know if the large organisations such as SCI, NRA & DSC etc or even any of the elected representatives have any official stance and/or opposition plans on all this?

Strikes me that if I were an American hunter I'd be squealing like a stuck pig about the entire situation........ by that, I don't just mean Lion, I mean all the other species involved as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve you're right, that's the other side of the whole issue. People need to understand that this may immediately effect the lion, but just wait til they get this ball rolling and see where it ends up??? That's why I say, please folks help JJ & CF fight this thing. Give what you can, call who you know, do whatever you can, its important!

I can't speak for any official stance from the organizations you mention, but just look how little we have heard about this. Maybe that says it all!!! I will say that African Publications like African Hunter & African Sporting Gazette have certainly given it some coverage, and I think DSC is doing the same in the very near future. As for SCI, I have no idea.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote