New
Find
Notify
Tools

favorite plains game animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I imagine for a large percentage this would be the kudu. He is africa, majestic,and unique. the gray ghost. But for me it is the waterbok. Not as elusive as eland or wildebeest, certainly not as ugly or an old wartie. not nearly as secretive as a bushbuck or as beautiful as nyala. but there is something about them that has me hunting them over and over again. what's yours?

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

As common as kudu are I probably will never pass on a chance at a bigger one than I already have.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sable, with Roan a close second! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra.

No inches of horn to worry about, he's relatively cheap, usually available wherever you go in southern africa and never a pushover.

And, among plains game, to me, nothing says AFRICA like a Zebra.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like eland, but kudu is a wonderful animal,too.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sable followed by Vaal Rhebock.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience to date it was Bushbuck, followed by Cookson's Wildebeest.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sable. That's next on my list. Haven't found the perfect one yet.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Hartebeast

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nyala,nothing like those beautiful shaggy coats and spiral horns.......poor mans bongo for me tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Nyala gets my heart to fluttering.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The last one I killed. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eland eland eland

those damn kudu - always seem to run into the girls and not the boys

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, probably will get yelled at, but my favorite is WARTHOG!!!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
definitely Gemsbok... tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, my favorite is - the next one! I get just a big a thrill shooting a klippie as a buffalo.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDE!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It would be hard for me to pick as I haven't hunted anything I didn't like!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Of the ones I have taken, I'd have to say either Greater Kudu or Sable. Of those I haven't, but hope to one day, I'd have to say Lord Derby Eland, with Lesser Kudu second.

There aren't many that I don't want to hunt, but I did pass up opportunities to shoot some excellent Tsessebee in Botswana, as I think they may be the dumbest animal with four legs. We literally drove past them at 10-20 yards without them spooking or moving away.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The ones I did not shoot yet.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one that has me awaking at night? Sable. Date has been set, just biding my time until next summer now.

Lesser kudu if I was in a slightly different tax bracket!

Vaalie is one that I've done & would do again in a heartbeat. The hunt is fantastic.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far Eland.

However I think for me Warthog was a fun one as well.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My favorites: the not-so-wary sable antelope for its elegant magnificence, the wily bushbuck for the challenge it provides.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toss up between zebra & bushbuck, but I love em all.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta say Sable too, not many animals that are that pretty.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My dream animals are Sable and Mtn Nyala but my next goal is a Bushbuck.

I do love to shoot Gemsbuck though, and Zebra, and of course Kudu, and maybe add warthog, oh and I can't forget Springbok, and duiker and steenbok are so delicate, and ................................

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
For me it is definitely the bush buck,many different varieties and they are all secretive, alert hard hunting mostly in the thick stuff

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala, from as close as you can!

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
Nyala gets my heart to fluttering.

The Nyala for me too.
But all the spiral horns are something special to me.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the impala are rutting they are so much like hunting antelope and all the antelope tricks work on them too, tons of fun!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baboons Baboons maybe warthogs
And Baboons!

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Springbuck, Southern mountain reedbuck, grey duiker, gemsbuck, eland, kudu, bushbuck, red hartebeest, young blue wildebeest and young warthog. Why? 'Cause they eat so good. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu, nyala, waterbuck and bushbuck have all been fun and challenging but damn those warthogs are fun too.

Rug is not joking about the baboons, when someone says baboon he's grabbing for a rifle.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Royal, because he is next.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I havent shot that many different species but i just love hunting pigs. So far its warthog for me!!!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Royal, because he is next.

DOJ - Several of my buddies have been to Ghana in the past couple yrs trying for the Royal Antelope, 4 of them in fact. They have been 2 for 4 (50%)

Its a cool little critter, GOOD LUCK!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron what else did they get?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Aaron what else did they get?

DOJ - I would be lying if I told ya, I just don't remember, sorry!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mountain Nyala!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I find the Cooksons wildebeest to be the most challenging to hunt on foot, if hunted the way buffalo are hunted. By that I mean, get in close to the herd and work them to get a really big bull. All wildebeest are flighty, and don’t even know themselves what they will do next! This makes it very hard for the hunter to predict what they will do next.

I have a 30 inch Cooksons on my den wall that was taken from 200 yards after a belly crawl of 400 yds to get that close, and ran out of the only cover of 2 foot grass at an ant hill. There were about 50 head of willies, and seven or eight head of eland bulls in a group and all nervous! A very satisfying stalk and the skinned knees, and elbows were worth it!
............................................................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote