THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Dip and pack Zimbabwe - Taxidermy by The Wildlife Gallery for once some great news

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dip and pack Zimbabwe - Taxidermy by The Wildlife Gallery for once some great news
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
I have just gotten off the phone to Andy Hunter who has been doing all our Chifuti Safaris shipments this year , the last of our 2009 clients trophies will leave this week ..WOW

Andy has really made us proud and the boys on the ground at Chifuti have really been busting it to get the trophies out ..

Taking trophy dipping packing and shipping seriously is something few outfitters do , after all the whole reason for hunting is for trophies and getting them home in good time and good shape is imperative to great mounts .

we have had several clients use andy and then choose the wildlife gallery for their taxidermy and we have had several clients recieve their mounted trophies in their homes in less than 8 months from the time they killed them ...WOW

if we could get everyone to work that way what a great industry that would be ,

BIG thanks to Andy Hunter , Chifuti and The Wildlife Gallery for servicing our people so well , how refreshing !!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I could not agree with you more. The safari is not over until our trophies arrive home.

Unfortunately, many in the "in between" industries are not held accountable for delays. The "we are waiting" syndrome causes untold and unneeded aggravation.

I have my the Wall of Shame I would love to share. Tops on that list is Richard Hurd, Hurd Taxidermy, Dolores, Colorado. He subscribes to the customer "service" theory that if you keep the client waiting long enough, he will be grateful for any old crap you send out. Number 2 on the shame list is Highveldt Taxidermy in RSA, who if they did not originate that concept of "service", they certainly elevated it to an art form.

In my Hall of Fame is Maria Felix, HUNTER INTERNATIONAL brokers, who were instrumental in releasing my ivory in a tussle with the USF&W.

Also WILDLIFE GALLERY, taxidermist, who proved great work can be done in a reasonable time.

My hats off to the professionals who take this on responsibility with the enthusiasm, dedication, and satisfactory results. They should be named appropriately, just like the successful Hunters.

Ivan, good to hear your team is working as it should, providing critical and oft overlooked value to a safari.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda the opposite of taxidermy enterprises

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
"after all the whole reason for hunting is for trophies and getting them home in good time and good shape is imperative to great mounts."

Well, I couldn't agree more, with the exception that the memories come first for me and the folks I hunt with, BUT - there is a huge sense of disappointment when something goes wrong with the trophy.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, many in the "in between" industries are not held accountable for delays. The "we are waiting" syndrome causes untold and unneeded aggravation.

hear hear

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
"after all the whole reason for hunting is for trophies and getting them home in good time and good shape is imperative to great mounts."

Well, I couldn't agree more, with the exception that the memories come first for me and the folks I hunt with, BUT - there is a huge sense of disappointment when something goes wrong with the trophy.

You got that right. first time in '01 was fine, then it went to hell in a hand basket

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter rocks! thumb

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the upbeat information Ivan, it is great to be able to add a positive spin to the trophy collection and memories they serve.

I could not agree more about Maria who stuck with me even when it took me nearly a year to get my shipping, did/pack paid for and ready to be senr
Frank.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I just received this morning a notice that the buff I took on September 10 in Chewore South is ready for shipment and airspace is available on December 10! Less than three months turnaround and I expected to wait at least a year. What excellent service!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just notified by Afrotrade that trophies taken with CM Safaris this past July were ready to ship. I've gone out on a limb and prepaid shipping. This is a huge improvement over trophies taken in Zim in 2005, which Taxidermy Enterprises took like 18 months to ship.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Thanks for recognizing Andy Hunter. What he is doing over there is truly amazing considering our past experience with dip & pack. Here at the WLG we are trying to change the taxidermy industry standard on timeliness, so it is great to see Andy doing the same thing in regards to the African dip, pack and ship. Thanks again for the good and positive news....DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Dan:

You guys/girls seem to run a great company, i have some questions for you.

It takes around 3 months for WLG to do my animals as i want them, can you break up those 3 months for me ? How long will it take for the tannery ? Dry ? etc etc. When i deliver something to my taxidermist it takes around +1 year. Do they have too much work or what ?

Thanks

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
anton ,
i asked that same question myself ..
this is for shoulder mounts and lifesize cats, larger animals may have longer drying periods.

tanning - 45 to 60 days
staging (waiting) - 2 weeks during this time poses are discussed with the client and forms are ordered
mounting (shoulder mounts) several hours depending on animal
drying - 1 week average during which the mounts are strictly monitored for quality.
finish - (shoulder mounts) 2-4 hours
finish - (lifesize cats) 3-4 hours
after this another quality inspection
habitat is done mostly while animal is drying and only finished when animal is placed on the habitat.
final quality control

shipping or collection at 3 months.

if the tannery is behind then poses are discussed ahead of time and as soon as skins are ready forms are ordered.

if the tannery is ahead and get the skin out in 45 days then most mounts are ready to go in less than three months.

Dan , please chime in if I have missed anything but i am pretty sure o got most of it correct.

i have no idea why it takes so long for most taxidermists , i have heard of reports up to well over a year. from the few shops that i have seen i think the backlog is as a result of not enough taxidermists on staff .

i have extensively toured and watched the wildlife gallery system and i am amazed at how the taxidermists , for that matter any taxidermists can take a few hides , some forms and glue and turn it into art ...

well done and thank you to all the great taxidermists that help us preserve our memories

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan !

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Dan:

You guys/girls seem to run a great company, i have some questions for you.

It takes around 3 months for WLG to do my animals as i want them, can you break up those 3 months for me ? How long will it take for the tannery ? Dry ? etc etc. When i deliver something to my taxidermist it takes around +1 year. Do they have too much work or what ?

Thanks

AD

WG owns and operates their own tannery (a sister company),some taxidermists wait to accumulate several hunters trophies to send for tanning.Then they have to wait for the tannery to process the order.

WG has taken some heat over this,as a taxidermist must pay a rush fee to skip to the head of the line(they tan for other taxidermists also) to turn over a mount this fast.

I am not making a judgement one way or the other as they operated as a taxidermist shop all the while also.

I have had them do some tanning for me,and it was done well and in a timely for the industry manner.

Dinsdale

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Anton,

Ivan is right on here. The only thing I might add is the dry time varies based on the species of animal. Example being a brown bear, dall sheep, or similar animals take longer to dry due to the thick hair. The African animals typically dry fast because of the short hair. There is a strict drying and adjusting regimen that is followed to ensure things remain accurate as the skin dry's out.

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
heres a report that is posted in taxidermy

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3421043/m/4491049121

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason it takes so long at the taxidermist is, most studio's are one or two man shops. We take in the bulk of our work in Sept, Oct, and Nov. deer, elk ect. I work alone and have two part time people. I do all the technical work and know it's done right. I'm not saying the large shop don't do the same. But, do they for sure? I choose not to hire someone full time. I don't want or need the headache. Workmans comp, insurance ect.
I'm up front with my customers, they know it takes 12 months. I do offer rush service for a extra fee.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm up front with my customers, they know it takes 12 months. I do offer rush service for a extra fee.

good for you , thats great , i think the biggest issue is the unfulfilled promises ... if your customer expects a year and it is back to him in 11 months he is very pleased Wink , but promise him 6 months and take a year Mad

the taxidermy could use more people like you who make realistic promises , you could fill a book with complaints about taxidermy and their overpromising... like any industry , there are people who work differently and heres the great news ...plenty of clientelle for everyone to get a share !

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't find better dip and pack services than those provided by Andy Hunter. Lyons and O'haver, a local taxidermy serice in San Diego has never seen better work in their 50 years of business. In 2008 and 2009 my shipments arrived in 3-4 months. He is also a top flight PH in Zim and knows Chewore north and south very well.

LB

<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
Your right "Quality Taxidermy" can be done efficiently and timely.
Our Studio, Winner of "Best In World" World Champion Combined Artists" at the 2009 World Taxidermy Championships.
Even Beating out Wildlife Gallery's own 10 time world champ.

The Artistry of Willdife now offers less than than 90 working day delivery on all mounts.

PS. Dan and Ivan, don't you guys each have an office right in the same building ????? I'd think it would be easier to just talk to each other instead of typing.?

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife Mounts with less than 90 Working Day Delivery.
Visit our Studio Online at:
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"
"Best in World Combined Artists"
World Taxidermy Championships

Email:
info@artistryofwildlife.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the conversation about turn around and yes I think it is important. I also have learned a lesson from a past PH that…let’s say was less than professional about watching how my animals were skinned. That being said I now have a giraffe that the skin will have to be used for inlays or furniture instead of my wish of a shoulder mount. All due to a lack of attention given to the skinners during the skinning. This is something I took for granted and I got burned. This is why I believe a full service operation can be so important.

I would like to relay something many might not know. I run the Tony Semple Foundation for Hope…it is a Foundation that takes kids living with life threatening or altering issues into the great outdoors for a Fishing or Hunting adventure of a life time. The wildlife Gallery is our exclusive taxidermist and the do all the kids mounts FREE! They even have turned some of the pieces around in 2 weeks for some of the really sick time critical kids. They have done this because they are great people who care…Follow this example of what they do for those less fortunate and it will give you a sense of how they treat their customers. I know them personally and endorse them! It is finally comforting knowing there is a TEAM out there that can help you with all the details big and small.

-Tony Semple

Posts: 81 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted
Kudo's an your great work and Foundation Tony.
You do Good Work! Sorry to here about your Giraffe we had two tanned ones we just sold, could have helped you out for a replacement.

We at The Artistry of Wildlife use the profits we make to do many mounts for FREE for "Hunt of a Lifetime" Every client we service, with their success, is supporting us in this effort without them even knowing they are helping the kids that are going thru the toughest times of their lives.
We have compelted elk mounts in as little as 10 days for those needing this done in a rush and we all know why.
WE have also in our company trailers and trucks delivered these mounts and set them up for free.
Many Taxidermy studios give back to the hunting comunity in Many Many ways. Working with local hunting organizations and young hunters groups, scout troops, father daughter and son hunts.
I apologize for my openness and straight forward comments if you disapprove of them. I'm a no sugar coating, honest person with an opinion. BUT this post is just turning into the Wildlife Gallery Business Partners, Associates, and Employee Blog.

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife Mounts with less than 90 Working Day Delivery.
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"

Email:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words…I understand and didn’t feel you were venting..It is obvious that the Wildlife Gallery is using the site for marketing themselves..I think that that is smart to do. I just wanted to share with everyone the good they are doing for the Foundation as well as share my bad experience with my giraffe in light that people understand all PH are not professional in all areas of their safaris…One would think they would be for the price these safaris are becoming. The trophy at the end of the day is very important and its prep to get to the states is a major piece of the puzzle that often gets overlooked. Kudo's to you for giving back to others!

Tony Semple

Posts: 81 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted
Your absolutely right Tony.
I try to explain to my clients what should be happening in the skinning shed with the capes and hides.
I tell my clients to leave the campfire for a while and check on the guys in the skinning shed.
Look over the skins for split and fleshed lips and fully turned ears and clean scraped hides.
These guys work long days for the PH and when the boss is away sometimes they play. It just happens. The hunter looking over their shoulder is usually enough to keep them on their toes.
Dennis

The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"

Email:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSEMP:

I would like to relay something many might not know. I run the Tony Semple Foundation for Hope…it is a Foundation that takes kids living with life threatening or altering issues into the great outdoors for a Fishing or Hunting adventure of a life time. The wildlife Gallery is our exclusive taxidermist and the do all the kids mounts FREE! They even have turned some of the pieces around in 2 weeks for some of the really sick time critical kids. They have done this because they are great people who care…Follow this example of what they do for those less fortunate and it will give you a sense of how they treat their customers. I know them personally and endorse them! It is finally comforting knowing there is a TEAM out there that can help you with all the details big and small.

-Tony Semple

I have been looking for a new taxidermist. This and the other reasons stated on this tread are reasons enough. I have a leopard and roan in
zambia I hope will be here soon. I will be in touch with you guys at the Wildlife Gallery.
I will post pics when they supply them
Wildlife Gallery you are to be commened clap

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS. Dan and Ivan, don't you guys each have an office right in the same building ????? I'd think it would be easier to just talk to each other instead of typing.?

Unfortunately dan doesn't have an office in dallas or in africa so sometimes typing is easier than a visit. Smiler when i am at home , yes thats a lot easier !!

i think its excellent that you also do 90 day turnaround and support some worthy causes , if the whole industry was like that there would be a WHOLE lot more happy taxidermy clients .. its not that hard and just takes some business management and integrity

well done on a great service , i have seen your guys quality and its great

i think its also great that people like yourselves and the wildlife gallery get onto forums like this , you are the guys who bust it to get your quality and turnaround to where it is and the people who hunt need to know where you are ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com