Find
Notify
Tools

Tuskless vs Meat Bull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I know that I will most likely never be able to afford to hunt a trophy Elephant bull. I have heavily considered a Tuskless hunt but a good friend said I should consider a meat bull as usually they are quite reasonable in price. Is that the case? Are they exportable? It is very very important to me to be able to bring the tail, ears, etc home so doing a non-exportable hunt is not something I want to consider at this point.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IIRC, you can't bring anything home on a tusk less or ration elephant- but i could be wrong( wouldn't be the first time!!)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Probably will not be able to bring anything home. Depending on who you hunt with now days, but the guys I hunt with don't shoot bulls anymore for rations. Cows only for rations.

Still, it's a hell of a good hunt.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
While a ration permit would allow a bull, in reality it is going to be a cow, with or without tusks. A ration animal is 100% government property, hide, ears, feet, tusks, meat, etc. You could have the trackers make an elephant hair bracelet for you but you won't have any paperwork to export/import it.

Tuskless cow permit does allow you to own all the parts and they can be exported/imported with proper paperwork.

Any Ele hunt is special, IMO, and I've done all three permit types.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted either, but have looked into both. My impression was that the ration bull was more of a shoot than a hunt, while tuskless could be quite the hunt. Just my impression.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I haven't hunted either, but have looked into both. My impression was that the ration bull was more of a shoot than a hunt, while tuskless could be quite the hunt. Just my impression.

I would say that is not the case at all. As I mentioned, the CMS team doesn't shoot ration bulls any longer, saving the bulls for the future. But even so, one doesn't simply find an elephant and shoot any old elephant when ration hunting. There is just as much a hunt as for a tuskless in that you're trying to find a suitable animal, possibly a broken toothed cow or bull if shooting a bull. If a cow, just as with tuskless, one still needs to find an animal without a dependent calf. You'll also more than likely attempt to find a ele of very large body size to maximize the meat available to the locals.

So all things considered, a ration hunt will provide a good experience as well. Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't run into the perfect "ration ele" the first morning 1/2 mile out of camp. It would be up to you to determine if you want to accept that as your hunt or pass and hope to take up the tracks at a latter time.

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Can highly recommend doing a tuskless cow hunt, 100% guaranteed to get the Blood pumping. Lots of interaction with the herds trying to find a Cow without a dependant calf.
Being in Australia can not import any Elephant legally, but being lucky enough two years ago to take a PAC Elephant Bull, had a set of replica tusks made that I still admire every day!!!

Though both different hunts, loved every minute of each.

Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Still dreaming but wanting to be more informed.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little Joe:

I am in the same boat and after doing a lot of research I am booked to hunt tuskless this summer in Zimbabwe.

The tuskless seems to offer an elephant hunt, with plenty of walking and interaction with elephants at a price that I could afford. Looking forward to posting a report in July when I get back.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunters response was correct on all points.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a non-trophy bull hunt on the Bubye. They run one at 10 day @ $1200/d with trophy fee of $5000. That is for 2013. You can't take big ivory but it should be a great hunt.It is my understanding you can take the ivory home as well as the skins.They have too many eles and they get in amoungst the bulls and wait for the right time to not get the whole herd upset.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give careful consideration if considering a Tuskless hunt. First you must find a tuskless Elephant, which I understand is between 3% and 6% of the population. Then add in that the tuskless you find must not have a dependent calf. And if you go in the early season when the jess is thick, you can't even tell it's an elephant until you're 15-25 feet away...just patches of gray between the leaves and branches.

If you go late in the season,and in an area known for a good population of tuskless elephant, and like to walk miles and miles after elephant herds before you get a suitable animal, and the price is right, go for it.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a tuskless cow hunt in the Zambezi Valley last year. We stumbled on to a small herd with a tuskless cow in it one morning, and the whole thing was over in 20 minutes. Did I feel cheated? No way! The entire herd went berserk at the shot, and we had to run for our lives. Tuskless comprise about 10-12% of the Valley population, and the "Zambezi ladies" can be truculent as hell. One very well known PH described hunting them as "...one shot and run like hell!" Good luck.
Cheers,
Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful. All other huning seems pale for me now. I went on a tuskless last summer, with Martin Pieters. Best hunt of my life. It was filled with excitement and awe of such a grand animal. The recovery and meat distribution was equally as rewarding, very humbling. I hope to go again for a bull, but would not hesitate to go after a tuskless again. Good luck.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I offer bull hunts in Namibia although you cannot keep any parts. These are fairly nice bulls and several of my AR clients have hunted them.

In Zim, you can keep any hide parts from our tuskless hunts.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote