New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wranglers on African Hunts? ? ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't been to Africa yet but continue to plan for the trip (when the son is out of college). But I have a question for those of you who have been there.

Why don't more hunters wear blue jeans?

I have worn Wranglers since I was five years old, which works out to over 50 years. I wore them to school, to college, in the winter and the very hot summers, and I still wear them to work cows, build fence, mechanic on ranch equipment, put up hay and wear them (the cleaner ones) to church on Sunday. I'm just curious why they are not suitable for the African hunt.

Thanks in advance for your experience, knowledge and wisdom.

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Traditionally, they're the wrong colour and also very hot for many parts of Africa, but there's nothing to stop you wearing jeans on a hunt if you want to. - I hunted with two Texans a year or two ago who wore jeans in the steamy heat of the Selous and they didn't complain about them and seemed perfectly happy.

FWIW, I often wear levis when I sit in a cold Leopard blind. - The only thing wrong with that is that you don't look particularly 'Africa chic' when you have the pics taken with the cat!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Africa covers it all, from hellish heat to butt freezing cold.

An old, well-worn pair of Wranglers will be about as cool as any other pair of slacks. They won't spurn thorns as well as tightly woven poplin cotton but do what you want. And they're not warm enough either for sitting in a leopard blind on a cold June night. You'll need long johns for that, or a good pair of chaps!

If they get too hot, get out the knife and make a pair of shorts.

You'll have to admit there is nothing quite like a tall, skinny cowgirl in short Wrangler cutoffs. Oops, I'm starting to daydream here. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess that kind of question can only be asked by an American....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last August/September 2007 I wore jeans when we hunted in the "mountains". My PH, Denham Bowker, wore blue jeans about half the time hunting "mountains" or flat land.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I wear jeans a lot too, but I think they dry too slowly for safari. Most hunters just take a couple of changes of clothes with them and laundry service is done every day. This consists of hand-washing and air-drying. I don't think jeans would have time to air dry overnight. Some people might not mind wearing wet pants, but I don't like it very much. Mornings in Southern Africa can be down right cold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ehg5640:
Last August/September 2007 I wore jeans when we hunted in the "mountains". My PH, Denham Bowker, wore blue jeans about half the time hunting "mountains" or flat land.

How's old Denham doing? I've hunted several time with the Bowkers. Great people. Were you after Vaal Rhebok? Denham's brother Meyrick helped me get one several years ago. They really have some great hunting on both their own land and that of their assciates.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Africa twice, both times wearing brown Wrangler jeans. They worked great for "winter" hunting in southern Africa. Of course, their winter won't be what you're used to! I'm sure they're not perfect for central African hunting where it's hot and muggy, but for the drier portions of southern Africa (SA, Nambibia) they worked great.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They're loud. When you push through brush, the scraping sound is rather pronounced.

Also, the weave is so loose, the thorns can tear them badly, which leads to a sharp burst of profanity. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worn Wranglers in every country I've lived in, and was wearing them today. I don't wear jeans. I wear Wranglers. Every other brand of denim is just "jeans".

Having said that, I don't like hunting in them. They are too heavy (on, or in a suitcase or backpack). After a rain storm they never dry, and I'm chafed and miserable if I'm doing a lot of walking or climbing.

That doesn't mean I'm an African traditionalist. I hunt in camo, preferably poly or a blend. I've hunted in the same camo above the Arctic Circle and in the Kalahari. I wear what I find comfortable. I'm not going to a costume party so I don't check my closet to see what will be a hit with the other hunters I meet.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've worn Wranglers, and Levis on Safari severl times, and I found them to be perfect, for hunting in the Western USA, or South central African countries. I also take shorts, a couple times the shorts were cut off, and himmed Wranglers, or Levis! As suggested the brown colored ones are best!

One thing you need to understand is nights, and early mornings in an open hunting car can be damn cold, so take a good, wind breaking jacket, and a pair of sweat suit pants that will slip on over your wranglers. I use a stuff bag like the ones for a sleeping bag, and stuff my cold cloths in it, and place it behind the seat of the Bakki, so it is there when I need it, and the bag keeps the cloths from getting so dusty! I also like long sleeve shirts. The sleeves can always be rolled up, but also go down when it's cold, or the bugs get bad. I've given more blood to Tsetse flys than I ever did in a blood bank! Nasty little buggers!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's because we don't want to look like a bunch of rednecks!!! Big Grin

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Too damned hot.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Here's a hunting fashion guide.

Africa - British khaki Smiler
Texas - Wranglers or Levis holycow
Alaska or Canada - Woolrich wave
California - Tommy Hilfiger Cool
New Guinea - loincloth stir
dancing

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've dragged shorts and safari pants of different desciptions to Africa. It doesn't take very long before I'm back wearing my jeans, same as practically everyday of my life. I've worn them working on oil rigs, which makes hunting in Africa seem like going to a wedding.Everyone can wear what they want, but I'm not going to let someone else's idea of fashion interfer with my idea of comfort and practicality.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have hunted with the Bowker family, and consider them to all be very good friends. Denham does indeed wear Levi brand jeans often. He gets them in the USA. I buy my jeans at Rural King, and they are made in----South Africa---go figure!!! It is my feeling that with "safari style" pants, you have a much better variety of pockets to carry your stuff more comfortably. Cheers

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Wranglers on my hunt to SA last year with no problems with being too hot or too loud.

It so happened that my PH and I had the same pant size and gave him 2 pair when I was going home, I think he was more happy with the Wranglers then he was with the big cash tip.

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The Bowker's; fine people and good friends. I've been on some great hunts with Meyrick, and he always wears blue jeans, just like Denham. I'm sure I'll hunt with them many more times as I love the Eastern Cape, as well as all of South Africa. Jean's work as well as khaki's, so each to his own. Camo is a moot point if your Tracker is wearing bozo orange or big bird yellow Smiler
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I wore Wrangler's in Namibia in '05 in brown and gray. No problems at all for myself.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I find jeans too hot in hot weather, too cold in cold weather, too stiff for climbing, too noisy for sneaking and when they get wet, they NEVER dry out. They do not provide any camoflage. I know there is a huge cultural attachment to blue jeans, especially in North America, but they simply are not very effective hunting pants IMHO.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually wear Wranglers, I have found that ticks, Tetsi, mosques, have a problem biting me through the Levi material..Pierre van Tonder wears levis most of the time..I don't have to be politially correct or a fashion plate, I'm just there to hunt, and having worn them all my life in 130 degree weather in the Texas Big Bend country, there not too hot for me.

Africans like Shakari, wear shorts and they can even go bare footed, but most PHs wear deck shoes, but unless you were raised in Africa and are immune to bug bites, various infections and never knew any better, your better off in long pants like a full grown man! jumping.

I also wear Wrangler horseshoe boots as they are so darn comfortable and a heck of a lot cheaper than Courtneys, now thats a rip off if I ever saw one and yes I have owned many pairs of Courtneys, they have no redeeming traits other than political correctness! stir diggin clap

But then I was raised a cowboy, and that ain't never gonna change! wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
We use wranglers on our elk hunts. I thought you guys used trackers on safari?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you plan on walking any distance, leave the blue jeans at home.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have lived in southern Arizona for the last 30 odd years. It gets rather hot here in summer and cool in winter. There are mountains and plains and all kind of brush and cactus and sticky things like shin daggers for one. I have worn Wranglers for most of that time as my regular daily attire and find absolutely nothing wrong with it. If the fit is uncomfortable to you try Diamond Gusset Jeans for a pleasing change. I wear them on safari and when they aren't dry the houseboy/cook usually irons them dry. Everyone to their own kick.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I wore Levis the first couple of Safaris and then switched over to Cabela's Trailhiker pants, as they are tougher and come in the colors that you need to wear in Africa. The also have more pockets. The price was also right, and I am still wearing them after 4 additional safaris.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
quote:
Originally posted by Ehg5640:

How's old Denham doing? I've hunted several time with the Bowkers. Great people. Were you after Vaal Rhebok? Denham's brother Meyrick helped me get one several years ago. They really have some great hunting on both their own land and that of their assciates.

Mac
DesertRam: Hunted with Myrick in August/September 2006,with the Mankazana Safari organization. My wife was along but did not hunt even though she went with us each day. Denham was the PH for a friend of ours. Both Denham and Meyrick, did an excellent job and were just plain fun to be with.
In August/September of 2007 my wife and I hunted with Bowker Safaris and stayed at thier "farm". We got to meet Frank and Jenny, and Meyrick's and Denham's wife and children.
We were treated as part of thier family, (or better). Had a wonderful safari. My wife did want to shoot game, which she had never done before. Missed on her first two shots, then had six one shot kills out to 216 yards.
Denham did a fantastic job for both of us. Took a two day trip about 2 1/2 hours north to the mountains where Denham got me into a 2000lbs plus eland and a very nice nyala.
My wife ended up with eight plains game animals and I also shot Bontebok, and a record book Kudu.
We are returning this August/September,2008, for another wonderful safari with the Bowkers. Will try for a Vaal Rhebok this year.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Wear what you're comfortable in. I think Namibiahunter hit the nail on the head. There's a certain mindset with some hunters as to what must be worn.

I grew up wearing jeans, and I am uncomfortable wearing anything else but jeans, except shorts. On my first two hunts to Africa I wore either jeans or cut off jeans shorts. Last year when I hunted the Eastern Cape region of South Africa, I wore either jeans or Cabela's shorts. No problems!

A comment was made against jeans because they soak up water. In my three African hunts from Victoria Falls to East London, I have yet to see any water for my jeans to soak up.

Someone also mentioned that jeans were loud when walking through the thorn bush. Yes new jeans are very stiff and loud. Well worn jeans are not.

It was also mentioned not to wear jeans if you plan to do alot of walking. Again it's what your're used to. I worked in the woods of Colorado and Montana for 40 yrs sometimes walking up to 25 miles of trail in a day, all while wearing jeans, as did many of my co-workers, including the guy who was in charge of the trail program on our Forest.

I've worn jeans for most of my North American hunts which total well over 100 deer, antelope, and elk, three moose, a mountain goat, and backpack hunts in Montana and Canada for 4 Bighorns and a Dall sheep. I usually walk 15-20 miles opening day of pronghorn antelope season not only getting my antelope, but also helping my buddies get their antelope back to camp. All of us wear jeans.

Someone else said not to wear jeans because they are the wrong color or not camo. Just lood at the number of big game animals shot every year in America by hunters in glowing pumpkin suits. I have alot of camo cloths, but I think much of the need for camo is pushed by the companies selling camo. My first elk shot with archery gear was a 5 pt bull shot at 10 yds while I was wearing blue Levis.

Sometimes I wear Wranglers, sometimes I wear Levis. I'll probably be wearing jeans golfing this afternoon.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a very interesting post here recently on how animals eyes work and what colors they see in the light spectrum. The absolute worst color you could possibly wear is BLUE. That is the best reason to never wear blue jeans when hunting.

Besides the color, jeans are not my first choice for long distance walking, those thick seems always seem to wear on my inner legs after awhile. They also stay wet forever.

I think jeans or camo are just tacky for hunting in Africa. Doing some research and wearing what the PHs wear shows class and the desire to experience the country and customs of the place you are visiting.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone else said not to wear jeans because they are the wrong color or not camo. Just lood at the number of big game animals shot every year in America by hunters in glowing pumpkin suits. I have alot of camo cloths, but I think much of the need for camo is pushed by the companies selling camo. My first elk shot with archery gear was a 5 pt bull shot at 10 yds while I was wearing blue Levis.

Sometimes I wear Wranglers, sometimes I wear Levis. I'll probably be wearing jeans golfing this afternoon.

The oranges and yellows are part of the light spectrum that most animals can't see. Blue is the absolute worst color to wear when hunting.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I would be ashamed to wear what some of the PH's I have known wear and when you add to that the attire of most of the trackers and game scouts and I feel absolutely formal in Jeans. I can only speak for Zimbabwe and I know the economics there are abysmal. As to the color spectrum it has always been my belief that motion was much more critical than ANY particular color.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Wranglers are always my first choice. My PH's have never had an issue with them. They may not be the best for the cold, wet weather in Alaska but I've worn them there (with a rain suit) as well as all over the west and in Africa. They are comfortable and tough enough to provide some protection from the thorns and insects. I don't worry about how long they take to dry, I just try to keep form wetting myself Wink. Hunting without Wranglers is like brushing your teeth without toothpaste. If you like em, wear em. banana

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Okay, I didn't want to post this pic because I don't like promoting one brand name over another but I was looking at my pic and then I went to look at the label and lo and behold, these pants are made by Wrangler.

Looks like a Hollywood shot, huh? Anyway, the pants says "Riggs Workwear, by Wrangler". They're ripstop, double layered from thigh to below the knees, and have spacious cargo pockets. I took 2 pair of these to Namibia last month and wore them in the heavy rain and mud. I didn't mind them getting wet because laundry is done every day and I could always get into dry Levis when I get back to the hunting guest house.

I chose these olive-colored Wranglers for the protection they offered from thorns and sun, the color to blend in the veld, their ruggedness and utility. They are a little noisy when new but after a dozen washes they quiet down.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Wranglers are pretty much the national jean of Texas, and for a good reason. They break in soft and quick and are far more comfortable than stiff scratchy Levi's. Most all of the real cowboys I know wear them for that reason. Here in SE Texas it is frequently(all damn summer) over 100* with humidity in the 90+ range and I don't find them to be a problem to dry out, they are cotton after all. That said, on safari, I like looser fitting clothes than most jeans. Traditional safari style clothes have more generous pockets also.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each to their own, IMHO - however, the comment about showing respect to clothing expectations is a valid one.

Personally, I work in a suit - but no way would I arrive for a hunt dressed by Bond Street!

It's preferable to identify with other hunters, and to me that starts with muted earth tones for my clothing.

Material is not something I get too concerned with - though I have seen an American acquaintance headed for hypothermia whilst wearing blue jeans on a soggy UK hunt. Accordingly, they get ruled out for any hunting involving a combination of wind and rain.

If all this makes me a hunting clothes snob, so be it. Personally, I feel that blue jeans on a hunt shows style

......... just not the style I prefer to show! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Blue Jeans in hot Africa.. Its like wiping before you Poop... Just don't make sense.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IanF

I think you may be a clothing snob. "showing respect to clothing expectations". Hhhhhhmmmm.

Maybe it's just me.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Blue Jeans in hot Africa.. Its like wiping before you Poop... Just don't make sense.

HOT AFRICA??? That depends on where you hunt, and what time of year, don't you think?

I like to hunt in the last week of June, to the middle of August! If you hunt then, you better take a warm jacket for evenings, and early mornings, and the day time temps are only in the 70s F, in central Zambia. I live in Texas, and in the big bend country it is 110 deg F in summer there, so the heat is not a factor, for me, even in Sept/Oct In most of southern Africa, but I like it cooler. beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
quote:

The oranges and yellows are part of the light spectrum that most animals can't see. Blue is the absolute worst color to wear when hunting.

Geoff, where is it written that you have to have "BLUE" Wranglers, they come in many colors. Besides the blue is bunk anyway! I've hunted all over the world in Blue Wranglers, and have had zero problem getting close to game, hunting with a bow, or Muzzle loader, or handgun. Movement, and noise are far more important to avoid!

I wear shorts as well in hot weather,in fairly open country, but have you thought about being stuck in the legs by the same thorn that just stabbed the black tracker in front of you? Eeker Something to think about, my friend! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not wearing wranglers, in July, but I'm takin my carhartt pants and shirts, cause they're tough in the thorns and briars. Maybe wearing my jeans for the trip, and I got them for backup while hunting.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reading through this makes it easy to see who hunts in Tanzania and who hunts in Zimbabwe..I sometimes wear shorts in Zimbabwe or RSA, but never in Tanzania. To wear shorts in Tanzania means your either an idiot or newbie or a PH who grew up their and seem to be immune to such things as tetnus, Tetsi, and a million other virious of satan... animal

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote