Notify
Tools

Leopard charge...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hope this link works from dailyclash.com

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2cb_1426710664
DANGEROUS GAME: Hunter Shoots Charging Leopard at Last Possible Second | Doug Giles | #ClashDaily
http://clashdaily.com/2015/03/...ast-possible-second/

Luckiest guy in town on that day!

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Yep - the link works. Wow - what a charge. I had to watch this a couple of times to see where the leopard came from - it was that fast!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. 'Hope I never get to experience that.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CLEAN UNDERWEAR NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yep that's a pants filler. Eeker

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8012 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Lucky that someone spined it! Big tom too - look at the head.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11071 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That's impressive. The leopard charge and the shooter.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man that was fast. Lesson learned, rifle shouldered, muzzle a bit low.

Not about leopard, but still apropos is the saying about lion charges. Can't recall where it originated so I can't give proper attribution.

"The good news is a lion takes about 4 seconds to cover 100 yards. The bad news is, they don't charge from 100 yards."

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard of that charge and the moments prior to it. Definetely a bone-chilling experience. Glad they were able to drop the Tom before anybody was injured.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Man that was fast. Lesson learned, rifle shouldered, muzzle a bit low

Most of the old timers who hunted alone i.e. no PH or other gun backing up all made the point that you need to crouch down when facing a cat charge so you are on the same level, extremely difficult to get the correct lead, i.e. muzzle depression, if standing.

That leopard was virtually shot on the end of the barrel, can't afford to miss can we!!

There is another very good leopard charge video around showing that if you don't crouch and hit the cat dead on it will get you, in this video the PH ends up with a busted wrist and some good tooth marks in the chest and was within a hair's breadth of being shot in the hip or leg by the tracker standing too far back while letting fly with a shot. Thankfully he got the cat and nobody else.

Posts: 3894 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that was in South Africa from the accents. Does anyone know where this was and who was involved as well as what gun was used?

Posts: 12053 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a PH once said " that tom gets to you it's 200 stitches a second."

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
hunting leopard with dogs...gotta love it!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

......or hate it. To each his own; but certainly not my cup of tea.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:

Have you tried it ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:

Have you tried it ?

Yes I have, although not with leopard. But I much prefer the traditional way of blind building & sitting to outwit the Chui. Besides, I'm a PH in Tanzania...(and it is not legal to use dogs there anyway). Its just one man's opinion. No problem at all if you love it, hate it....or somewhere in the middle.
I realize long blind sitting & playing the "Chess game" isn't for everyone. As long as you enjoy the hunt!

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Perfect example of when charged, you shoot in very close quarters, that way you don't miss.
Of course it's easier said than done

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like 1.5 seconds from the time of the first growl to the time the cats on the ground I don't think the rifle in the frames was not on the shoulder. One can see the barrel come center the cat at near the muzzle.

Also there is at least two shots if not three in those two seconds.

Stop action it starting at around 17 seconds most likely 18.5 to 20.5 and it looks like the cat wraps him self around the barrel as he goes down or at least tries to.

Would be very exciting and lots of pucker factor for sure.

Posts: 19496 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

and i absolutely did!. 2 chess match hunts and cold nights in a blind weren't my cup of tea. but dropping a charging leopard in midair 7-8 feet from the muzzle certainly was.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13332 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a lion running off at about 30 seconds? Left hand side.

Posts: 12053 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correctly so - more than one shooter from different angles reducing the cat's chances of nailing anyone.

A pack of dogs hounding/pinpointing it and an arsenal of guns to ensure no damage is done is really quite a sporting way to go about hunting Leopard. coffee

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Hell of a video!!!!
As Larry asks what is that runs off to the left? Internet connection running on australian time and cannot get a great look.
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks more like a hound and probably the one we hear barking once he located and hassled the cat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another fascinating clip with no drama though:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNESbLMeJ0

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Hello.
Done both dogs and blind hunts. Leopard with dogs is...... just magnificent.
The clients are spanish because you can clearly hear them talking in Spanish.
the dogs belong to Gavin lipjies

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having killed and been in on several big black bears with hounds at almost muzzle toughing distance.

Yes going into the thick brush after something that could bite back gets the blood up for sure.

Leopards with hounds wow.

Posts: 19496 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Correctly so - more than one shooter from different angles reducing the cat's chances of nailing anyone.

A pack of dogs hounding/pinpointing it and an arsenal of guns to ensure no damage is done is really quite a sporting way to go about hunting Leopard. coffee

More guns is not necessarilty the answer. The other leopard charge video I mention in my first post had other guns shooting but nobody stopped the charge. The Leopard was wounded the night before so was a bit slower to boot and it did get hit on the way in and did a complete somersault but was not hit in the right place and got to the PH in the blink of an eye.

Posts: 3894 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fujo:

We seem to continue to agree. Are you still hunting? Somehow I think we might get along.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Note his left thumb on top of the barrel, blocking the rear sight. No sighting, just point and shoot.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the fellow who hunted many jaguar with a spear !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gent who killed jaguars with a spear was Alexander,"Sasha", Siemel. I met his wife at their home near Valley Forge PA. about 17 years ago. His spears were about 7' in length, with a tulip shaped blade about a foot long. His method was to course the jaguar with dogs until it charged, then, while bracing the butt of the spear shaft against his foot, impale the cat on the blade. That way, he could hold the cat away from him until it expired. Considering the fact that a big tom jaguar can easily weigh twice as much as a leopard, it sounds a bit unbelievable, but he had the film and photos to prove it. The only caveat was, "Don't miss!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great. Thanks for sharing that. Even if is the last thing I ever see, a charging cat is something I want to experience.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I met and shook hands with Sasha Siemel in Birmingahm Al when I was about ten years old in 1961 at Birmingham-Southern College. He talked and showed his home movies of hunting the Jaguar with a spear. Still impressed at 64 years of age.....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:
Great. Thanks for sharing that. Even if is the last thing I ever see, a charging cat is something I want to experience.

Most of us spend our lives trying to avoid that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9917 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Andrew

We recreational hunters are a different breed! Most of the hunting we do is in our dreams. We read books and AR hunting reports etc. Then we read something like your post about shooting a man eating lion with a double rifle. Can you blame us for wanting that experience? Big Grin

Or take that leopard charge video of Martin Pieters a few years ago - we keep running that in our minds and become the experts on how we would have done it. We never get clawed or chewed. It always happens to the other guys!

I have just started reading a biography on Jim Corbet. So now I am off to my dream of hunting man eating tigers with a kerosene lantern!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Perfect example of when charged, you shoot in very close quarters, that way you don't miss.
Of course it's easier said than done

Mark Sullivan says its hunting at 10 feet or under , and just plain shooting at anything beyond that.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:

A mock charge is exciting BUT a real cat charge,,, Farck that!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I posted here on AR about an experience as a kid of a leopard caught in a cage trap in South India.

My stomach still churns at the memory of the animal - the snarling, spitting, the sheer aggression & desire to attack in its eyes. The cuts and blood on its head from banging against the cage. There was no give in that cat - I suspect is must have been a small one though for a kid of less than 10 it seemed huge at that time.

The sphincter muscles were full on then and the memory still has them going..!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A hound

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True enough guys, but in those seconds you'll be as alive as you've ever been

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote