Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard charge...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

You really don't. Have to agree with Andrew here.

One of the sickest feelings I've ever had was not finding my leopard dead right there and seeing a nice bloodtrail running into the densest mess of palm thicket you could imagine. No way to follow quietly.

You instantly worry about the safety of the crew, the PH, and primarily, the guys who go in first, the trackers. You begin to hope that if anyone gets hurt its you, but leopards have an uncanny way of scratching everybody. You weigh all that, and hope your PH doesn't ask to wait by the gari. Not a pleasant feeling.

Fortunately, mine was dead "nearly right there" just out of sight. Cause for celebration, not lament.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lavaca, It is not a case of needing to agree with anyone. I know my though process is completely without good judgment, however it is a moment I would like to live. I wouldn't book with a PH that wouldn't let me go. More bad judgment, I know.

May I ask whom is Andrew or must I read all the responses?

Cheers, Richard

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew is Fairgame. I can empathize with your desire for adrenaline and one of the most intense moments I ever experienced was a buffalo we didn't want to shoot who couldn't make up his mind. That said, I don't need or want a charge by a cat.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the buff provided a lively moment. Thank you for clueing me in.
So did you shoot the buffalo?

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. He broke off at about 12-15 yards. I was waiting for my PH to shoot, but another step or two and I was going to shoot anyway. My PH was to my left. The trackers who went into the grass split me when they came out after the bull stood up and grunted. He focused on me as a result.

We looked at each other. The game scout decided his previous wound (not from us) wasn't serious and we watched him walk away, with a slight limp.

Then we laughed. It's funny after you are a bit scared. That's just the truth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the luck was that the cat tried to eat the gun barrel making possible a very quick kill.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Looked like dog
. One good shot sure beats 3 to 5 misses. Shasha Simmel's Nephew was an AR member years ago. Lived in Connecticut if I remember.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote