THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    HUNTING TOURISTS CONTRIBUTED R811 MILLION TO ECONOMY IN 2012, SAYS DEA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNTING TOURISTS CONTRIBUTED R811 MILLION TO ECONOMY IN 2012, SAYS DEA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted

Vanderbijlpark, 20 November 2013 - Preliminary findings from the Department of Environmental Affairs’ latest statistics show that hunting tourists contributed R811 million (2011: R901 million) to South Africa's economy in 2012.

Department of Environmental Affairs deputy director – policy development Magdel Boshoff, speaking at the Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa's (PHASA) 36th AGM and Convention in Vanderbijlpark, said the results were still subject to an audit and verification process but no material differences were expected between this report and the final one.

The statistics were based only on species fees (the amount a hunting outfitter pays a landowner to harvest an animal) and daily rates (the fee a client pays a hunting outfitter) meaning that the total economic contribution of overseas hunters is understated. The statistics also exclude the impact of local hunters, numbering some 320 000, who hunt mostly for venison.

The top three source markets for hunting tourists were the USA followed by Denmark and Spain.

Last year, 40 866 head of game were hunted compared to 48 605 the year before. Rhino hunts showed the biggest decrease with only 52 harvests taking place in 2012 (2011: 137) and contributing R36 million (2011: R84 million) due to stricter criteria used in issuing rhino hunting permits. Lion hunts showed the largest increase with 596 lions harvested in 2012 (2011: 445) and contributing R122 million (2011: R77 million) at an average species fee of R203 000.

PHASA chief executive Adri Kitshoff said South Africa is home to 2 700 wild lions and 5 000 captive bred ones. "Our lion populations are stable. So are Tanzania's, a country which boasts 16 800 lions and where lion hunting is also permitted. The countries showing the most alarming declines in lion numbers are those where lion hunting is prohibited such as Kenya and Botswana," she said.

For further information contact Adri Kitshoff, PHASA chief executive, on 083 650 0442.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
tu2

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boerbokrib:

Vanderbijlpark, 20 November 2013 - Preliminary findings from the Department of Environmental Affairs’ latest statistics show that hunting tourists contributed R811 million (2011: R901 million) to South Africa's economy in 2012.

Department of Environmental Affairs deputy director – policy development Magdel Boshoff, speaking at the Professional Hunters' Association of South Africa's (PHASA) 36th AGM and Convention in Vanderbijlpark, said the results were still subject to an audit and verification process but no material differences were expected between this report and the final one.

The statistics were based only on species fees (the amount a hunting outfitter pays a landowner to harvest an animal) and daily rates (the fee a client pays a hunting outfitter) meaning that the total economic contribution of overseas hunters is understated. The statistics also exclude the impact of local hunters, numbering some 320 000, who hunt mostly for venison.

The top three source markets for hunting tourists were the USA followed by Denmark and Spain.

Last year, 40 866 head of game were hunted compared to 48 605 the year before. Rhino hunts showed the biggest decrease with only 52 harvests taking place in 2012 (2011: 137) and contributing R36 million (2011: R84 million) due to stricter criteria used in issuing rhino hunting permits. Lion hunts showed the largest increase with 596 lions harvested in 2012 (2011: 445) and contributing R122 million (2011: R77 million) at an average species fee of R203 000.

PHASA chief executive Adri Kitshoff said South Africa is home to 2 700 wild lions and 5 000 captive bred ones. "Our lion populations are stable. So are Tanzania's, a country which boasts 16 800 lions and where lion hunting is also permitted. The countries showing the most alarming declines in lion numbers are those where lion hunting is prohibited such as Kenya and Botswana," she said.

For further information contact Adri Kitshoff, PHASA chief executive, on 083 650 0442.

Great1

Rub it in to Kenya and Botswana!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67319 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boerbokrib:

Thanks for the update, but this is just part of the story, there are an enourmous amount of money spent on taxidermy, curios and then there are many side trips that are undertaken. The jobs that are created through the hunting industry is estimated at a 100,000 more than double the amount if the game farms were cattle farms.

Somewhere I have read that the total contribution to the economy from hunting ( this includes the locals) and the other sectors that benefit from it is R6.2 billion. This is a huge contribution.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I would not doubt it. We Australians fly into Jo'burg shortly before the main flights from the USA and just from what I have seen I would say about sixty hunters per day in prime season would be a conservative number.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All this sounds just great.
What's the differential between Rand/and USD?
Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Jaco's memory is spot on! tu2 Big Grin

Here is where I saw the same figure: by the Minister of Environmental Affairs. Now we all know politicians are very prone to "padding figures" as it pleases them. So take the R 6.2 billion with a wheelbarrow of salt!

But then how can Magdel Boshoff say that the figure is roughly about 1/10th of what her minister said? But more important: How can the figure that foreign hunters spend be based on
quote:
The statistics were based only on species fees (the amount a hunting outfitter pays a landowner to harvest an animal)
? Confused Confused IMHO the typical figure that a hunting outfitter pays the game farm owner for any specific trophy is in the order of 1/3 of what the foreign hunter pays as trophy fee. The 2/3's is the hunting outfitters' markup for profit. This would have a very big effect on the R 811 million quoted by Me. Boshoff!

I would be interested to know if the OP was due to poor reporting by the press, or if Magdel Boshoff really based the amount of money spent by foreign hunters on the cost to the game farmer? Anyone who attended the PHASA Meeting please comment?

georgeld, currently the Rand is worth about 1/10 of a US $. So the figures quoted should be divided by about 10 to get equivalent US $ numbers.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
All this sounds just great.
What's the differential between Rand/and USD?
Thank you,
George

Its been running roughly 10-Rand to 1-Dollar US

so for figuring -not paying- you can just move the decimal point and you will be close.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
Confused Confused IMHO the typical figure that a hunting outfitter pays the game farm owner for any specific trophy is in the order of 1/3 of what the foreign hunter pays as trophy fee. The 2/3's is the hunting outfitters' markup for profit.

I would not mind if I can make this type of profit. My pricing works on the cheaper end about double and on the top end about 5% markup, the rest in between works on a sliding scale. I have compared my prices to many other prices and most outfitters works on a sliding scale.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
quote:
Confused Confused IMHO the typical figure that a hunting outfitter pays the game farm owner for any specific trophy is in the order of 1/3 of what the foreign hunter pays as trophy fee. The 2/3's is the hunting outfitters' markup for profit.

I would not mind if I can make this type of profit. My pricing works on the cheaper end about double and on the top end about 5% markup, the rest in between works on a sliding scale. I have compared my prices to many other prices and most outfitters works on a sliding scale.

Neither would I mind making that sort of profit. However, from just one example I'll substantiate my statement a bit.

The MEDIAN price charged for Southern Greater Kudu - ignoring those prices which are on a sliding scale - in my database is $ 2050. The average price that I had to pay farmers for the last 4 kudu that my clients hunted is just below R 4000. No matter what ZAR to US $ conversion you use, as long as it is a value applicable in the last number of years, this remains well within my stated 2/3's markup!

Incidentally the Q3, or the price at which only 25 % of all hunting outfitters charge more from my database is $ 2525!

I can do similar calculations for many species and the fact that "typical" trophy fee in US $ remains about 3 times the price a hunting outfitter has to pay to the farm owner for that animal. Sure, some hunting outfitters work on a lower markup, but from my personal experience, that is fully substantiated by facts in my database, the rough rule of selling price = approximately 3X buying price certainly holds true!

But I quite agree with you, I do wish I could also make that sort of profits! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
quote:

Neither would I mind making that sort of profit. However, from just one example I'll substantiate my statement a bit.

The MEDIAN price charged for Southern Greater Kudu - ignoring those prices which are on a sliding scale - in my database is $ 2050. The average price that I had to pay farmers for the last 4 kudu that my clients hunted is just below R 4000. No matter what ZAR to US $ conversion you use, as long as it is a value applicable in the last number of years, this remains well within my stated 2/3's markup!

Incidentally the Q3, or the price at which only 25 % of all hunting outfitters charge more from my database is $ 2525!

I can do similar calculations for many species and the fact that "typical" trophy fee in US $ remains about 3 times the price a hunting outfitter has to pay to the farm owner for that animal. Sure, some hunting outfitters work on a lower markup, but from my personal experience, that is fully substantiated by facts in my database, the rough rule of selling price = approximately 3X buying price certainly holds true!

But I quite agree with you, I do wish I could also make that sort of profits! Big Grin

In good hunting.

I sure wish I could get kudu for under ZAR4,000. Around here the going rate is between ZAR10K and ZAR25K.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote