New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compact Binoculars
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of buying a set of compact bino's for this years hunt in Zim. I have a set of 10-50's that I have carried in Zim as well as hunting in the States. I like them but was thinking of getting something that weighs less.

Does anyone have experience with the compact 10-25,26,27? What suggestions would you have?

Thanks for your time,

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've used a pair of Leica 10x25 for some years and they're great......they also fit into the top pocket of a shirt so don't get in the way.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just got a pair of Leica compact 10x25 like, I suppose, Sakari's. They are amazingly clear and I am very pleased with them. They also work just fine with glasses, if that's a consideration.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PG,

I have the same Leicas that the other guys do as well as Zeiss and Leupold in basically the same configuration. They are very light and handy with very clear and bright image. Their only downfall is that they are not of much use at first light or just at dark. They just can't transfer enough light. If you are willing to live with the low light problem the compacts are just great to put in your shirt pocket for those long buffalo stalks.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
PG, used a pair of Leupolds 10/25 ish gold rings and they worked super even in the dim light of sunset...Highly recommend...A high end pair is worth it weight in gold..Also get the bino system to hold them you will never look back...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I have used are the, 6x30, 7x30s, and 8x30s a little bigger than compacts but much better for hunting for one thing they gather more light, the compacts do not work as well late evenings and early mornings...I have a very nice pair of 10x25 Swaroskis and I do find them handy..I carry them in the truck and car year around..

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PG,
Just a suggestion,I purchased a used pair of(German made) 8X20 Zeiss binoculars from Rockstad Enterprises, Box 1177, Templeton, CA. 93465, PH: 805-434-3567. I was very happy with the binoculars and Rockstad's service.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info. I have it narrowed down to the Swarovski, Leica or the Cabela Alaska guide compact. I do appreciate everyones imput.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PG,
Recently I came across a set of Zeiss Diafun Binoculars in 8 x 32 & 10 X 32. They are both very light 16- 18 ounces and have some of the clearest lenses I have ever used. While they are not compacts they are very light and durable and their size gives you that extra light gathering quality that is often so important at daybreak or just before dark yet they are not to heavy to carry all day. Just more possibility for you to think about. DRBOB

Posts: 34 | Location: NORTH CAROLINA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a pair of Steiner 10x25 and I really like them. They've been all over the planet, and I've never had a problem with them. I use the shoulder strap harness, and wear them on my chest. It's a very good setup for me.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toby,

Are they the predator model? If so, are they waterproof and shockproof? They seem to be fairly inexpensive.

Again, Thanks to all for your time and thoughts,

Regards, PG

one of us
posted Hide Post
PG, I had a Pair of Leica 8x20's that I loved but got stolen. Replaced them with more expensive Swarovski 10x25's and think that I prefer the Leica's although I didn't compare them side by side. I prefered the 8's over 10's because of the shorter barrels. If I was starting over again I would buy the Leica's but not until I looked through the new Zeiss compacts -I haven't seen them yet....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just bought a new pair of Swarovski SLC 8X30 with the new Swarobright coating. They are greatly improved compared to the former 8X30 without the coating. These binoculars will outperform any 8-10X25 of all makes and are still fairly easy to carry - weight is 580 grams.

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Leica 8 X 25, in Africa the PH will do the judging of the trophy so the low light capabilities are not so important. The fit in the pocket takes the weight (what there is) off your neck.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and recommend the Swarovski 8x30's. They are small and light enough to wear all day while hunting in rough country, yet give up very little to the really big bino's for most types of hunting.
If I was going to get a pair of Really small "compact" binos I would not go above 8x. A lot of the time when I am stalking I will hold the binos with one hand, my rifle is in the other, so I think 8x is the best overall power. I would rather have 6 or 7 than 10x.
With a good quality 8x if "he don't look big enough to shoot" a 10x will not help.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While not exactly compact but pretty near so, I purchased a pair of the Zeiss 10X40B in the early '80s and still use them. I recently bought a pair for my son from Cabelas for $800 or so and consider them a great bargain. I find the true "compact binos" not very useful.

Cabelas calls them the "Classic" model.

Keith

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gone through a dozen sets of binocs over the last 50 years and settled on the 8x32 Leicas for Africa. They are the perfect hunting binocular for me...rubber coated, small and have all the field I need, much more compact than the 8x42s which would be my second choice today...and I sure would take a look at the Kahles, they are the sleeper.

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote