New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 magnum trigger stinks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 550 Magnum in 404 Jeff. I have been struggling with the single set trigger for months. Basically it will fire from the set position and than when I work the bolt it won't cock. I have to work the bolt a second time. I haven't sent it back to CZ because I have planned to take it on a Buffalo hunt, leaving Sunday.
I've had a gunsmith go over it and he deburred numerous parts. It worked for a while, than went bad again this week.
It works fine if I don't set the trigger and just pull it normally. That's what I'm planning to do. When I get back I think I'll just scrap the whole CZ trigger and replace it with a timney. My gunsmith says that he has seen this several times and the trigger is reliable so long as I don't set it. Has anyone had the same problem?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope! I have 3 CZ 550s in 375, 416 and 7x57. I frequently use the set trigger at the range and have never had this happen. I assume you mean that after firing the gun using the set trigger, you cycle the bolt, loading another round in the chamber, but the trigger does not work either with the set feature or as normal, whereas, if you fire the gun not using the set trigger, then you can (after cycling) fire the gun using either the set or the regular trigger?
You are aware that you have to set the set trigger each time, right? Sorry, I don't mean to insult you!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've had no trouble with mine.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
American Hunting Rifles sells and installs an excellent Mod 70 style safety and trigger.

I have shot about 600 rounds through mine.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the set trigger not fire several times on my 375. Once it’s set and it’s pulled, nothing happens and it needs to be reset to fire. I never had any bolt problems.

I needed up adjusting the trigger to a little less 3 lbs and I stopped using set the trigger. No problems now.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three CZ's, .416, .375, and 7X57, no problems with any of my triggers and hundreds of rounds fired. Sorry this happened to you.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be intereted to know how to adjust the trigger on the CZ's. On my .458 Lott the set trigger is much too light.
I am guessing there must be separate adjustments for the trigger and then a different method to adjust the set trigger?
Or does one adjustment affect both?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Demonical,
The set trigger can be adjusted with a single screw without removeing the stock. A combination screwdriver and striker spring removing tool is supplied. The screw is visible in front of the trigger when viewed from the bottom.
The main trigger is a 3 screw design that adjusts for weight, overtravel and sear engagement much like a Remington.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TerryR, Is there any chance that when you cycle the bolt you are using the thicker heel aspect of your hand and bumping the safety rearward? First time I took my CZ 550 458 Lott out I fired several shots then the rifle wouldn't fire,trigger felt odd. I cycled the rifle it fired the next round just fine. Later on I was talking with gunsmith Lon Paul about doing some custom work on the rifle and he mentioned that one of the inherent problems with the 550 is the short bolt handle and the protruding safety, and that if you palm grip the bolt your hand can bump the safety causing a failure to fire. I remembered what happened that first day so I got the rifle out cycled the bolt palm method and sure enough you can reproduce the problem. I had the bolt straightened, and I took a dremmel tool and ground down the safety knob so it doesn't stick up so far. I also have changed my shooting style to gripping the bolt with thumb and first finger. I've since fired over 200 rounds through it and shot a buff in Zim last June with no hickups. I definitely don,t recommend cycling a stock 550 with the palm of hand when after dangerous game. Good luck figuring out yours.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
ive never had problems with mine but i never set my trigger i use the standard trigger. ive put a thor trigger in my 308 and it works like a bomb

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay-man
I wish I were bumping the safety as that would be easy to remedy. I have actually have had two different gunsmiths weigh in on this. One, the local gunsmith at Gander Mountain has experienced the problem with my gun and does not have an explination, the second, an independant gunsmith, is working on another gun of mine and claims to have dealt with the same problem on several other CZs. He recommends a timney replacement. The good news is that the trigger is reliable when I do not use the set trigger mechanism so I feel comfortable taking it to Botswana this Sunday. I'll look into it further upon my return.
Peter, after firing with the set trigger,and working the bolt, the trigger will not depress and fire in either regular or set function until the bolt is worked a second time. Fortunately, as I said, if I use the trigger with a straight, normal pull without setting it, the gun functions fine.
Strange. I like the gun and am looking forward to using it, and really like the 404 Jeffrey caliber.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other point, this is one of the CZ - USA models in 404 Jeffery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I think THAT may be the difference! I forgot about the significance of the caliber. Have you talked to CZ? It may not help you now, but when you return....
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize That I can set it but only did it twice and haven't done it scence And don't plan on using it. WIth out the set trigger the trigger Ft Lbs is only 3 ft lbs.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ in 416 Rigby and the trigger went south like Terry's. I will pull the factory trigger out and stomp on it right before I install an aftermarket trigger.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend took the set function out of his CZ trigger. I don't know whether he did it himself, or (more likely) had a smith do it for him? The result was the WORST trigger I have ever encountered! Speak about creep!!

With that experience in mind, I suggested a Timney for another friend's CZ550 in .416 Rigby. He normally shoots a Blaser (so he is used to good triggers), but said the Timney was the best trigger he had. So that sounds like a positive vote for the Timney!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 550 416 has had a Mod 70 style safety fitted but trigger is standard.Trigger has never missed a beat and is one of the best I have ever used.
You need to see a man who is familiar with this style of mechanism-they are really very good when working properly

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just replace the trigger with a Timney, blackburn or whatever and be done with it..a set trigger on a DGR is not a particularly good idea IMO....I love the double set triggers for running shots on deer and antelope, other than that they pretty much suck...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...ON%20RIFLE%20TRIGGER

Here's a stupid question; will the same Timney trigger fit a ZKK-602? Confused

I would replace the triggers on my ZKK-602 and CZ-550!

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Is this a "French" set trigger? IE. The kind you push forward to "Set" and then you just breath on it?

I like the "French" kind better than the "Slack" kind. IE. Pull up the slack gently and when you feel resistance it takes just the slightest pressure.

Both are scarce as heck around here. Everyone I've shot belonged to someone else that wasn't giving it up.

I'd love to put a "French" set in my Tikka but apparently the option is supposedly unavailable in the U.S. Not that the Tikka trigger really needs it I'm quite fond of mine.

I can see where Ray is coming from that a set trigger on a DGR might not be desirable. Sounds like an extra thing that may go wrong to me. CRF does you no good if your trigger fails. I like set triggers when shooting medium calibers from a rest. I've never tried using them offhand at running animals. Perhaps it works well. I don't know.

I suspect it may not be getting pulled far enough to allow you to reset it after the shot. The recoil of your weapon may be causing this. Try setting it and then firing the weapon. Then make absolutely sure you've pulled the trigger as far as it will go before cycling the next round.

If that works you may want to save that trigger for another rifle. Regardless I'd feel like replacing it on that weapon if I had the issues you describe.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The set trigger on all my CZs is what you call the "French" kind. ie you have to push it forward to set it, and then just fart! They are amazing!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The set trigger on all my CZs is what you call the "French" kind. ie you have to push it forward to set it, and then just fart! They are amazing!
Peter.

Peter,

I suspected this is the kind he has. Not the two trigger type. The "slack" triggers aren't really set triggers but I hear them referred to as such quite often.

I may be wrong but my suspicion remains that because of the recoil of the larger round the trigger is not getting pulled far enough in order to be re-set.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger is the kind that you push forward to set, than touch it and bang.
It's possible that I wasn't pulling it far enough back to reset it. I may have stopped squeezing when it let off. I'll explore further upon my return as I'll be using it for buffalo until then and I believe Ray is correct when he says that it isn't wise to set the trigger when hunting dangerous game.
I think that I'll still replace it anyway as I would like it to be idiot proof, especially if I'm the idiot.

TerryR

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I had AHR do the CZ #1 upgrade on mine. They fill and straighten the bolt handle, replace the trigger with a real nice single stage, and install a Model 70 type 3 position safety. Well worth the money in my opinion. Here's a link in this forum with pictures of it after it was done.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/936107418

Regards,
Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBG,

What you are refering to as a "slack" type of set trigger is what is known as a 2 stage trigger, I believe.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's possible that I wasn't pulling it far enough back to reset it

Terry, I am not conscious of pulling it far enough back either. I just let go when the gun goes off. I still think a call to CZ (USA) would be worthwhile.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
TBG,

What you are refering to as a "slack" type of set trigger is what is known as a 2 stage trigger, I believe.

You are correct. I did explain in another post above that these aren't really "set" triggers. But I have heard them referred to as "set" triggers, in the past.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a positive note, I just got the gun back from the gunsmith. He adjusted the regular trigger to 21/2 lbs and it lets off with no creep. I'll let you know how it works out.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Hope that does the trick for you. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Btw I completely think the 2 position safety is fine.

Just thought I should clarify that I have no interest in a change of the safety; only the triggers.

Demonical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would just replace the trigger with a Timney, blackburn or whatever and be done with it..a set trigger on a DGR is not a particularly good idea IMO....I love the double set triggers for running shots on deer and antelope, other than that they pretty much suck...

Agreed.

I have a Timney on a .300 RUM. Perfect.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, my bad, I meant to ask this but forgot!

Can these Timney triggers be installed by yourself or is a gunsmith required to put them in for you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Agreed.

I have a Timney on a .300 RUM. Perfect.
I was told that the Blackburn would not do.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
Okay, my bad, I meant to ask this but forgot!

Can these Timney triggers be installed by yourself or is a gunsmith required to put them in for you?

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Gunsmith installed mine.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote