Find
Notify
Tools

Big Springbuck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I just got off the phone with Vaughan Fulton, he told me his last client (maybe an AR member? If so post some pics!) who was hunting with Gert shot a big Springbuck.

Ok, how big. Vaughan gave me the measurements, I added them up and looked in the newest SCI book.

It will be the new #2 (If the measurements are correct).

He said, "You know where he shot it?"

"Where?"

"In the same area where you shot your big one."

So I thought maybe I would look and see where mine would fall in the book.

I didn't realize mine would be #14, and mine was not the biggest taken that year either. There were two or three bigger than mine.

This guy also took a 39.5" Gemsbuck and a 55" Kudu.

Not a bad hunt.

Oh, the Springbuck only measured 18 1/8". Not too shabby.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great!! I'll ask Gert to take me to that spot in two weeks and see if we can go three for three.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With two years of good rains in Namibia, I think we will see a lot of large trophies killed in Namibia this year. In the next month there should be some huge Kudu shot.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the next month there should be some huge Kudu shot.

We leave in 14 days.
jumping

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

That's an understatement ...... Let's see a picture.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Wendell, did the hunt take place in Damaraland? That area I recon holds the best springbok in the world. Also good areas are Die Kalk (a limestone ridge running south from Mariental to close to Keetmanshoop, Namibia), and the Khomas Hochland west of Windhoek

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a monster! I still haven't taken a springbok and this really whets my appetite to go back.

Congrats to Vaughan and the lucky hunter!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe these ARE the good old days!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
I will be there in 26 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
My word! I'm starting to feel a little self concious with my puny 16.25" springbuck from his concession last year. Wendell, you better add another springbuck to my list for next year.

Congratulations to the hunter. I hope we can see the photos soon.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was only 16.5", but with over 7" bases he scored right up there. I passed up a skinnier 17" one 15 minutes later, 'cause it just seemed I didn't earn it. Left it for the other client, who really appreciated it two days later. Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Springbuck. It looks a lot like the one I took in Africa with those horns that turn back. Unfortunately, when mine arrived in the US, the horns were smaller and did not turn back. Either some weird shrinkage occured or these were not my horns. Oh well, I would have been a lot more upset if my Eland or Gemsbok horns were not mine.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
And to think I was tickled pink when Vaughan put me on a 16 7/8" (his measurement) a couple years ago. Must have been this guy's son...

Sure would love to seea picture of this one Wendell.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a picture too. This guy wasn't my client, and I do not know if he is an AR member or not. Gert was the ph. Not sure if he has a picture or not.

I know most of us, me included, could care less about score or rank, but there comes a point when you have to wonder?

How many top 20 Springbuck does this area produce? Looks to be quite a few.

Here is mine 16 5/8 long 6 5/8 bases. He is not near the largest one taken in the area (obviously)

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Nice springbuck. Did these come from the northern or southern concession? The rock formation on the ridge behind you in the photography looks like those in Assbuster Canyon on the southern concession.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
The rock formation on the ridge behind you in the photography looks like those in Assbuster Canyon on the southern concession.

George

Does this look familiar? (I think Wendell shot his springbok in the other concession, but I think you have fond memories of this road.)

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Wendell, that's one hell of a Springbok!!! I'm headed to Namibia in June '07 and I can't wait. I'm will definitely be trying for a big Springbok. thumb thumb thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Does this look familiar? (I think Wndell shot his springbok in the other concession, but I think you have fond memories of this road.)

That would be it. Wink