THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African hunt - convenience up, cost down?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African hunt - convenience up, cost down?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It appears that transporting firearms and, perhaps, ammunition through intermediate countries' airports (and through intermediate countries) to hunt African game can be a bunch of major headaches waiting to happen.

While my ignorance may be showing, I've been thinking that a workaround that might be significantly more convenient as well as less expensive is to arrange to use a safari company's firearm(s), shipping - perhaps multiple shipments?? - ammunition to your safari's location several months before the hunt. You arrange to arrive a day or two ahead of hunt's start date having arranged to practice with the unfamiliar firearm. Were the hunter to select a firearm similar to what he routinely uses or the personal firearm he would have used for the hunt, transition practice would be quick and intuitive.

A slightly different perspective might be that the cost of safari drops significantly if the once-a-lifetime African hunter can avoid the expense of buying a specialty rifle.

Just some thoughts.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not as bad as it sounds here. I have flown thru Amsterdam 4 times and never had a problem. For that matter, never had a problem anywhere, including China.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been 3 times without any real problems.
I want to hunt with my rifles as long as I can.
IF it becomes a major pain, then & only then will I consider using a camp rifle, even if it was better than mine.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A slightly different perspective might be that the cost of safari drops significantly if the once-a-lifetime African hunter can avoid the expense of buying a specialty rifle.

For plains game, whatever rifle a hunter traditionally uses for large game in North America is likely to be sufficient, so I assume you are talking about a medium to large bore rifle for dangerous game. In my opinion, it would be a really bad idea for a hunter to pick up a large bore rifle for the first time a couple of days before a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for large game.

Like others, I've had few problems and prefer my own rifles. That said, I would use a borrowed rifle if my own did not arrive.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
With very few exceptions, the "Once in a lifetime" hunt to Africa does not exist. You'll have your next hunt booked before you leave.

Traveling with a firearm isn't that bad. Once you learn the procedures, it just adds a little time on check in and clearing on arrival. Your outfitter will help you, assuming you do your homework and book with a reputable company. Using a travel agent that is familiar with firearms travel helps as well until you learn the ropes. Bottom line however, don't sweat it. I've never had a problem and that includes on overnight in Moscow!

This issue has been discussed here many times and you'll find a lot of guys who don't mind using camp rifles. For me, using my own rifles is a major part of the experience that I'll only give up if forced to do so. I also agree with the statement about PG hunting with a camp rifle being less of an issue than DG. For DG, I want to know my rifle and ammo thoroughly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not ever had a single problem taking ammo or firearms Out of the country nor bringing them back in. I take that back. Customs was very perturbed with me when Turkish Air lost my rifles along with my bow case. When they came in 7 weeks later, they were as surprised as I was. 10 minutes of questioning later, they released them on to my final destination. Just have to follow the rules. I would much rather hunt with my own rifles than use someone else's.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's an option, hopefully you're not left handed.

On my trip to Zim my rifle wasn't on the airplane when I arrived at Bulawayo and SAA could not tell us where it was. My PH Pierre, said no problem I'll get you a loaner. You should have seen his face when I told him that I was left handed.

(My rifle made it the next day).

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
You should have seen his face when I told him that I was left handed.

Frank, my wife and all 3 boys are left handed.

No worries, they have an operation to fix that.

They take your brain out and put it in the right way.

Best!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty, but grew up shooting RH rifles.
I think if my rifle did not show up I could still make do with one of those good for nothing right handed things.
It would beat throwing rocks.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote