New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate Lodge/Russell Caldecott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Many of you know Russell Caldecott who owns and runs the Ultmate Lodge in Vic Falls. The June/July issue of Universal Hunter magazine has a very good article about Russell. He also has a book due out soon depicting his life and the struggles he has had to deal with. I have read the rough draft and is very good and inspiring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice article about Russell. Must be a tough guy. It seems he has done very well for himself under very trying circumstances.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the ultimate lodge for two nights this year, I highly recommend it. Russell is a great host.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought he had closed it down. Apparently not.

Posts: 12004 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He was open in July

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is open on an informal basis. Russell has had to undergo an amputation of both legs due to an accident while hunting. But I believe he is hanging in there.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell is still up and running. I stayed their after my hunt in mid July and just talked with Russell last week.

He is heading out to do some hunts and check out their applicability for handicapped hunters in the future.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I stayed with Russell a couple years ago - prior to having his lower legs removed. We had a great time, Russell always had a good dinner and some sort of guest or entertainment for us in the evening and a driver during the day to take us to see the sites. 1st night some native Matebele dancers came. 2nd night three of the original and few remaining "dugga boys" came and talked about the days in Rhodesia as Game officers - which was a real treat and I will always remember. The third night a ex. German fellow and his girlfriend came over, sang and chatted and was very interesting. Russell was well into music it seemed, played the guitar and sang a bit himself. As I understand it, Russell was a PH, got in to a wreck with the cruiser and broke his back and lost the use of his legs. I keep up with him a bit on Facebook, truly a nice guy
and I hope he is doing well

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an excellent article about Russell in the latest issue of African hunter magazine. You can download the issue .

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
The same article on Russell appears in the issue of the African Hunter you guys have now got a digital version of, and he and I are talking about us publishing the book under the African Hunter banner. I will probably be in the Falls next week to chat with him about it.

Russ is an outstanding man for whom, the glass is always half full. Quite amazing and one of those people, that once befriended, has got your back.

I have spent time with him every year over New Years for the last three years, staying at his lodge, and always come away feeling humbled and more alive. Made lots of good friends there too.

Although he closed the doors of the lodge to general business, he still accommodates hunters passing through the Falls. His “kind” of people, and he has a long list of regulars. I spoke to him yesterday, and he said feel free to contact him directly should you want to visit and stay at Ultimate Lodge. His e-mail is russell@ultimatelodge.com.

More recently, he has been very involved in his work with helping other people overcome similar hardships, and is working with an organisation to bring recently disabled people (Marines) out to Africa - doing a bit of safari and even hunting - to help them overcome and move on. A couple years back he organised a container of wheelchairs to be shipped from the USA and distributed to those in need within his community. An outstanding contribution in a sector of society sadly neglected in Africa.

As I say, quite a man, and an inspiration.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine