THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    New info, very important details: Dallas Safari Club Convention: 2011
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New info, very important details: Dallas Safari Club Convention: 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mrs. JTEX and I will be there.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just cancelled my reservations. My youngest son takes command of a battalion at Ft. Lee, VA on Jan. 7 and we want to be there for the change of command ceremony. See ya in 2012.
Rich Elliott salute

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
I just cancelled my reservations. My youngest son takes command of a battalion at Ft. Lee, VA on Jan. 7 and we want to be there for the change of command ceremony. See ya in 2012.
Rich Elliott salute

Can't blame you for that! What a proud father you must be!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Rich, congrats on raising that son. Battalion command isn't easy. Give him my best.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there along with a friend (+2).

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
btt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan and I are going again this January. We won't be staying at the CI, but we will coordinate with retriever or one of the others to come to the dinner and the get together. We are coming in on thurs. and leaving Sun. We are staying downtown near the convention center, at the Magnolia[so I was just informed this AM] Smiler

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We could not go this year - but last year we stayed at Hotel ZaZa. Swanky, expensive, and at least Ok food there - breakfast was better. But even with our sound proof door it was LOUD from the enclosed pool/bar. When that finally shut down the next thing we had some guy out in the hall rasing hell. In about a minute and half when I opend the door to tell them to close it up a elevator full of security arrived and took care of the noises. We are likely to go and more likely to stay closer at the convention.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Is the dinner to be on Friday night?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Count me in. Also my first wife is coming with me.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Friday evening dinner is planned for Papasitos (sp) Cantinna next door to the BBQ joint. I am in the process of getting in touch with them and I think they will have a private room. I am estimating 50-60 people.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are only about a dozen Pappasito's in Dallas. When you can obtain an address, let us know.
Thanks,
EZ
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
The Friday evening dinner is planned for Papasitos (sp) Cantinna next door to the BBQ joint. I am in the process of getting in touch with them and I think they will have a private room. I am estimating 50-60 people.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, maybe you can be of help. We have met at the same area for the last 4 yrs. Their seafood restaurant then BBQ and now mex and all are right togeather and they have a steak house there also. I don't know the street address.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are all Papa's restaurants. That is on the North East quadrant of NW Highway (loop 12) and Stemmons freeway (I35E).
From downtown Dallas you would go north on Stemmons freeway (I35E). The freeway will Y about 4 miles out of Downtown; stay to the right. Go about another 3-4 miles and you will see a Loop 12 / NW highway exit. Take that exit and turn right at the light and then just turn left into the NE quadrant restauratnt area. Pappas BBQ is facing the road. Pappasito's, Pappadeaux and Pappa's Steak house are set back behind the "Bubba Q" restaurant about 100 - 200 yards.
If you plan on going to Pappa's Steak house one evening it will be very good but be sure and have a high credit limit! Wink

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, can you give me a street address so I can get to the corrrect location on the web site?

posted Hide Post
Me and the wife will be there, need name tags also. this is number two for us, were newbees.

Gerald C

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told my wife about this just a moment ago as she was walking by.

She said tell them about Za Za. I said I did.

She said " I am not staying there again if we go." See what happens when you try to please them Smiler!

But as it get closer we will try to firm up and find the AR group.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Try the Comfort Inn, I think you will be satisfied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
Try the Comfort Inn, I think you will be satisfied.

Thank you Larry - I am sure we will be. And at over $400 per night less expensive we can add another trophy fee quickly.

Of course we may not have Jessica Simpson a few tables over either, but so what. I dont think she hunts anyway. Or at least not in Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live in general area, will be there one day at least. Are AR gettogethers open to us new guys?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Pam and I will be there,staying at the Magnolia. Will attend all AR functions. Can't wait.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cross of course you are welcome, they even let me attend. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
btt

One of Us
posted Hide Post

why not bring all of them? You could be part of the floor show...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
BTT

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
street addy will be good Ed. We can imput in our GPS. Maybe eez will help us out again Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Aloft for Cherie and I... Walking distance to the convention.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just booked at the Magnolia. Look forward to the AR functions

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not been on this thread for some time. What street address / destination are you looking for?

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
street addy will be good Ed. We can imput in our GPS. Maybe eez will help us out again Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All is good, see other string about the Friday night res list.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
The northwest Dallas location is at
10433 Lombardy Lane, Dallas

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
AR members: I just noticed the address given on page one of this thread is Lombardy lane. That is NOT the address where we hold our social gathering on Saturday night. The contact details for the correct one is:
Comfort Inn & Suites Market Center (TX482) 7138 N. Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, TX, US, 75247
Phone: (214) 461-2677
Fax: (214) 461-2678
Make sure your resv., are with this C.I., or you might not get a room if you plan on staying there or coming to the party. I just got off the phone with Rob and confirmed my Res and the above address: it is 7138 N. Stemmons Fwy.
Regards,
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you that have not booked accommodations and are interested in hotels close to the convention center, the DSC room "blocks" are over 90% booked.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
LDK,

Sorry for the confusion. Someone had asked the address of the Pappasito's location.

CharlesL

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on attending and broadcasting high caliber radio on friday afternoon. Who do I need to talk to about finding a place for my cellcast unit? I would also like to can up a few interviews for future shows. I will be there with one more. I'll need to run the cellcast from about 1:45 til 3:00 on Friday afternoon when we are live on the air and on the net.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to attend DSC for the first time (many times attendee at SCI Reno).

I’ve looked though this lengthy thread and it appears there is a Saturday night dinner for AR members at:

Comfort Inn & Suites Market Center (TX482) 7138 N. Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, 75247
Phone: (214) 461-2677
Fax: (214) 461-2678

Similarly, there is a Friday night dinner at:

Pappasito's . Location is apparently at 10433 Lombardy Lane, Dallas but post is unclear. Is there a zip code so I can d/l a Google map?

Is the foregoing correct?

Eight questions:

1. What time for the dinners?

2. Are these just informal dinners or is there some program associated with either/both?

3. Are the acoustics of the two dinner locations such that those of us who have shot out our hearing can carry on and understand a conversation, or is the din like a heavy metal band at full tilt?

4. How best to get from the convention center to the two dinners and back (I'm staying downtown near convention center).

5. What happened to the plan for the AR badge with handle and real name?

6. Are there any hunting opportunities in the immediate post show closing, e.g., nilgai, hogs (no deer), etc.? Would need to be a place where I can rent an appropriate rifle.

7. Finally, and perhaps most important, I’m becoming interested in double rifles. Any near by place to shoot a variety of DRs to find out if a DR is for me? I know there is a safari school somewhere near Dallas as well as the one up in ID and some others. Not interested in a school at this time. Just interested in the ins and outs of doubles and what might be most suitable for me, e.g., caliber, fit, etc. ( Have little/no interest in elephants. Buffalo is about as large as I care to go). Idaho Sharpshooter is gracious enough to bring his .470 to SCI Reno for some of us to try, but would like to get a head start on other calibers/fit.

8. If time allowed, interested in some of the speciality DG big bore bolt actions, .470 Mbogo, 600 OK, etc. I have just had a .470 AccRel completed but have not yet time to get ammo loaded for it.

If neither questions 6-8 possible, would at least like to engage in conversations about them with those who are considerably experienced with same.

Regards

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the geatherings are informal and no program, unless you consider the Judges great stories a program - he promised me a free scotch Sat night for that plug Big Grin. The Sat get togeather is more like a cocktail party - finger food and booze and pass the hat. Friday is a buffet $35 per person and I need conformation of attendees.

Someone else can answer the other inquires.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
where are we going to meet on Sat night???

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comfort Inn 7138 N. Stemmons Freeway. Serving, Scotch, Bourbon, Gin, Vodka, Beer, finger food and a big helping of war stories and a wee bit of BS! Big Grin dancing