Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo with a knife?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted
I do not know if this has been posted before, but thought the crowd here would enjoy this... What do you think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...czI&feature=youtu.be

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have seen this one before.

But, not to distract from the bravery of the man with the knife, that buffalo had several shots into him, and wasn't going to live for long.

So claiming that he was killed with a knife is stretching it a bit.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I use a fork.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the effects of the bullets had more effect than the knife...but, dang it, ya just have to admire the bravery of a man that will knife a cape buffalo.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I use a fork.

Wussy. I take out my dentures and gum him to death... holycow

(disclaimer: I do not actually think anybody here is wussy nor do I actually wear dentures. No buffalo was actually injured in the making of these comments. Okay, maybe thier feelings were bruised but they will get over it...)

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
I agree that the effects of the bullets had more effect than the knife...but, dang it, ya just have to admire the bravery of a man that will knife a cape buffalo.

troy

Really?

Not so much....

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wounded Buffalo doesn't have to live long to do damage or worst kill a man. I would hope I have a son with that much courage, that man can be very proud of his son. It is at a time like that that strength (mental) of the hunter (shooter) is called upon to react and unfortunatly that hunter locked up. Anything less than total respect for that young man - well I just don't understand.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked like there was still a lot of life in said buff to me...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will, is that a plain fork or a North Fork?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Karl S.
Don't get any ideas - I ain't carrying a bayonet - you'll just have tell the buff to wait until I reload. Do you think a 25-round ammo belt would be enough?

Hell yes I think that guy was brave.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I would be as understanding about the hunter that locked up and wouldn't shoot or give up his gun to someone that would. I would be looking for a different hunting partner. My hunting buddy is "eyedoc" here on Ar, there is no doubt in my mind he would have shot the buff till out of bullets and then used his nice 470 double as a club if he needed too. We have stood toe to toe shooting buffalo,, his problem istn't running away from them but running closer to get a better shot! Karl has tried to keep up with him before, that cajun can run forever and at a pretty good clip. I think he may be headed to the Caprivi this sunday for another elephant. We both go again in July.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
When I read the subject line Karl, I was expecting to see you standing over a dead buff with a swiss army knife...lol. My money would have been on you, having killed a Leopard with your bare hands Smiler
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you, I would not want to be the guy who was the recipient of the order to "Give me the fucking gun" after this was all over. I have heard of (no so) funny stories of people shitting themselves in these situations but here we have one on tape. The PH's sounded more than tolerant in talking of this afterwards.

On another note, I think the question is, if the guy did not stab the bull with a knife and if no more shots were fired, would the PH have been killed? If the answer is yes, we can minimize the knifing all we want but it seems it did what it was intended to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't figure it out if that thing is real or staged. Something about it looks fishy to me but I can't put a finger on it.

But I can tell you one thing for sure. I never attack buffalo bulls with anything but a double knife. Single bladed knives are just to risky! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:

troy

Really?

Not so much....

Jeff

so you think it requires no bravery to step into a cape buffalo armed with a knife as it tries to kill you father???

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This video has made the rounds here on AR before.

You can have all the equipment, the fancy bullets, the super magnum rifle but if you can't shoot them in the right place, it don't mean crap. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That kid had some big ones to go in and stab that bull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, of course it is always about shot placement. We all know "hunters" often F*ck things up and that is when the PH earns his big bucks. I am always amazed at how we as hunters purchasing a hunt are sooo concerned about our PH's ability and yet they seem to accept most anyone as a clients. Yes I know they try to learn about our shooting ability etc. but they go in harms way with out knowing who we really are, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Will, of course it is always about shot placement. We all know "hunters" often F*ck things up and that is when the PH earns his big bucks. I am always amazed at how we as hunters purchasing a hunt are sooo concerned about our PH's ability and yet they seem to accept most anyone as a clients. Yes I know they try to learn about our shooting ability etc. but they go in harms way with out knowing who we really are, eh.

And that is where the trouble can start. Look at the fate of Alan Shearing. Of course, he couldn't blame the client but oh what a screw-up.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
........................ Roll Eyes

For all those who minimize the sons courage in this matter, I doubt anyone who sees this that way would do anything but watch while the man was killed before they would have walked into that buffalo with nothing but a damn knife!
If you want to minimize someone it would be the client that refused to shoot, but also refused to give up his rifle to someone who would shoot that buffalo. The boy had little choice other than to walk in, and stab, or watch his father die! Self -preservation is a very strong instinct in a life and death situation such as this, even if the downed man “IS” you r father. I’m quite sure the father would have done the same for his son.

I don’t care how many shots had been put through that buffalo, it takes balls to walk into a standing cape buffalo to save the life of another human with nothing but a knife in your hand. I would hunt with that young man any time, any place, and follow him in a follow-up in any kind of bush he wanted me to! As far as I’m concerned there would have been some serious dialog take place with that client who wouldn’t shoot of let someone else use his rifle to shoot that buffalo.

……………………………………………………........................................ hammering..

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Was the second son Misha? objectively filming away while his father was screaming on the ground or was he filming and trying to get the clients gun away from him at the same time?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Was the second son Misha? objectively filming away while his father was screaming on the ground or was he filming and trying to get the clients gun away from him at the same time?

That is one of the things that doesn't make sense to me. I really believe that the film is recreation. Every time I watch it, it looks a bit more phony.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

The creed of all photojournalists is "Above all, get the picture." He was just doing his journalistic duty, was he not?

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Wow! I think somebody should have knocked the frozen hunter in the head with a rock to get the rifle.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a fork.

Me, too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

That is one of the things that doesn't make sense to me. I really believe that the film is recreation. Every time I watch it, it looks a bit more phony.

The whole idea of the film is an advert for the knife makers, nothing else.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't really tell is this film is a Phony as some posters have stated but I will say that anyone who goes after a Cape Buffalo with a knife as a pair of "Brass Balls" damn straight.

If I had planned on such a thing to happen, I would have a 6-ft spear with a 30 inch long and 3 inch wide double edge razor sharp 3/8 thick steel head on the lance.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
This video has made the rounds here on AR before.

You can have all the equipment, the fancy bullets, the super magnum rifle but if you can't shoot them in the right place, it don't mean crap. Smiler

YES YOU STILL HAVE TO HIT THEM

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
I can't really tell is this film is a Phony as some posters have stated but I will say that anyone who goes after a Cape Buffalo with a knife, has a pair of "Brass Balls" damn straight.

If I had planned on such a thing to happen, I would have carried a 6-ft spear with a 30 inch long and 3 inch wide double edge razor sharp 3/8 thick steel head on the lance.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just asking questions... Because that's what this video did for me: eliciting too many questions.

The first three are technical questions that immediately sprung to my mind while watching the first time:

- What is the length of the knife's blade? (see video)

- Where was the buffalo stabbed? (see video)

- Where would you need to stab a buffalo with a blade of this length in order to severe a major artery and to cause rapid death, or to incapacitate the CNS?

But there are other, more subjective questions that start popping up when you rewind and replay:

- Why are there at least 3 different camera angles from different positions during the action, even though the whole thing only lasts seconds?

- If the cameraman was so concerned about getting a good shot that he moved to get a better angle, why did he continuously jerk his camera around - with the result that it's really difficult to see what happens?

- Why is there no footage of the dying buff?

- Why does the cameraman continue to jerk his camera around even when everybody is safe and gathering together?

- Why does it say "Slow Motion Replay" while it's not in slow motion?

- Why is it that in a twelve minutes video, there are only 24 seconds of actual "buff" footage (without considering the initial shot), and such a long time dedicated to talk and talk and talk?

- Why was it necessary to mention the knife's model and manufacturer in a prominent fashion?

Of course there may be perfectly genuine and simple answers to all these questions, but I'd like to hear them.

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

- Why was it necessary to mention the knife's model and manufacturer in a prominent fashion?

Gratitude?

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That video is not staged. I have produced videos the angle is the same throughout. What that chap did was heroic.
As for the notion that it was staged, what kind if moron goes to that much trouble to entice a buffalo onto his chest. For the sake of a knife endorsement? I think not.
Well done Zen, you are one brave bugger.
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does not appear he gets vet much penetration with that knife (Perhaps 3") Guess it was enough. I have heard on this forum that Cape Buffalo have overlapping heavy ribs. Might be difficult to drive a blade through. Very seldom see pass through with an arrow on these critters.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

The whole idea of the film is an advert for the knife makers, nothing else.

But if you are going to a knife fight with a Cape buffalo, the knife ought to be a big one! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hats off to the youngster for the courage demonstrated in rescuing his father.

At the same time and with no intention of downgrading his action, the jabs would have had no determining effect in ending the buffalo's life.
It takes more than several jabs that carry no real momentum to fully penetrate a buffalo's hide especially in the neck area where it is the thickest and reach any of the vital areas protected by heavy muscle to produce a killing effect.

Penetration might be better achieved from a plunging or upward motion instead of the jab.

IMO the buffalo died from bullet wounds alone.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Regardless, of the comments that some on here have made, that young man has a pair to be proud of. Anyone with stones that big is someone I'd be inclined to tip my cap to.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The film is fine, but the real show here is the MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS most of whom would simply watch the man killed before trying to stop it with only a 12 inch bladed knife!
I can guarantee you if that had been me under that buffalo, my little 130 pound, 70 year old Cajun wife would have been stabbing that bull with every ounce of her strength!

I still say I would have knocked the head off the client who refused to shoot or give up his rifle and was the reason the camera was bouncing around, IMO the cameraman trying to pry the rifle away from the client.

................... thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a real strange question - Why does the cameraman continue to jerk his camera around even when everyone is safe and gathering togeather? It is the cameraman's father that was under the Buffalo and he is to regain his composure in a split second - JHC!

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Another question is, why the son, when he is stabbing, looks over to where the camera is located after one knife blow? It almost looks as if he has a grin on his face.

This PH is a real person known to some on this web site. Were they aware of when this happened?

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote