New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who owns usrac(Winchester)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems like in my lost recesses of memory some french concern had bought it up. Is (was) that true? I would hate to have to back up and buy all Remington products [Frown] [Wink] D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Owned by same folks that own Browning...not French... from Belgium.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy Ruger, pre 64's and CZ's...That was true but I don't know if they still own Winchester.

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Sequitor>
posted
Looks like Olin owns it - all American.

http://www.olin.com/about/history.asp

and

http://www.winchester-guns.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=24

[ 03-18-2003, 23:13: Message edited by: Sequitor ]

<Harry>
posted
U.S. Repeating Arms is part of a world-wide company with facilities and associations with companies in Europe and Japan. Some special edition and limited edition firearms are currently made in Japan by one of our associated companies (Models: 1886, 1892, 1895, 63, and 52-B). The Super X2 is made in Europe with some parts manufactured in New Haven. The Supreme over/under shotgun is made in Belgium.

I think the above pretty much explains what I said in my first post...owned by the same folks that own Browning...located in Belgium
If you are in retail the same sales rep that calls on you for Browning is the same guy for Winchester or at least that is the way it is in Texas. Ahern Sales Group has both lines.

[ 03-19-2003, 01:08: Message edited by: Harry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester, both the company and the name, are owned by the Olin Corporation of East Alton, Ill.

Now, US REPEATING ARMS COMPANY, as well as Browning Arms Company, are owned by FN Herstal. FN Herstal USED TO BE owned by GIAT (Groupement Industriel d'Armes Terrestres).

GIAT divested itself of the majority of the shares to the Walloon Regional Government (Walloon is the Belgian Province where Herstal is located). GIAT retained a minority interest in FN. Curently, the Walloon government sold FN to the Belgian aerospace conglomerate EWA (Enterprises Wallonnes de l'Aeronautique).

This webpage shows the member companies of EWA, in alphabetic order. Scroll down and you will find FN Herstal.

EWA member companies

[ 03-19-2003, 01:15: Message edited by: ksduckhunter ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify this a little, Olin owns Winchester, and licenses the right to sell firearms using the Winchester name to USRAC. USRAC buys their guns from manufacturers around the world as detailed above.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMcDermott:
To clarify this a little, Olin owns Winchester, and licenses the right to sell firearms using the Winchester name to USRAC. USRAC buys their guns from manufacturers around the world as detailed above.

USRAC does not subcontract everything they sell. The Model 70, Model 94, and Model 1300 are made in the US in the same facilities that used to say "Winchester" over the door.

The Supreme and Super X2 shotguns are made by FN for USRAC. The Model 1895 and some of the other low volume special editions are made by Miroku for USRAC.

Miroku, BTW, is not a part of the FN group. They merely have some juicy contracts for Citori shotguns, A-bolt rifles, and the various Winchester special editions.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew... For a while there I was really worried. Thanks for the info. Good hunting. [Big Grin] D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote