Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Your experience with 416 Taylor
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Niels,

I am presuming that you are looking for African experience with this calibre, since you posted it on the African forum. I have a 416 Taylor (and so do about 30 others that frequent this site), but I have not used it on African game.

If you are looking for general experience with the cartridge, might I suggest that you re-post your question on the Big-Bore forum? I think you will find a number of people there that might be very helpful to you.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 400g at close to 2400 fps will do great in Africa. The original factory Rigby load was what, like 2350?
You can shoot 320g North Forks for plains game at close to 2700.
It is virtually unfindable in Africa, as I understand.
Understand it is a wildcat. You can only get loaded ammo from semi-custom outfits.
The recoil will be strong, like anything in this range, but tolerable in a well-fitted stock of appropriate weight.
The 458 Winchester would be a good choice if you are concerned about losing your ammo (tho I'm unsure about the likelihood or frequency of that happening.)
But it's not the best for the longer shots.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I had a .416 Taylor for a few months and absolutely loved it. It was bought from an AR member here on the classifieds. I recently traded it to a friend of mine and I have since regretted it. So.....I now have a donor rifle on the way to me now, a Ruger, tang safety, M77 in .338 WM, which will become another .416 Taylor.

It's a great round, but it's not for everyone.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels: Presuming you are refering to African experiences with the .416 Taylor, I can, and will attest to the effectiveness of the cartridge. In fifteen trips to Africa, I have used the Taylor to shoot everything from duiker, to elephant, with outstanding results.
Our (My wife's and mine) rifles are built on Pre '64 model 70 actions. One with a 25" krieger barrel, and the other with a 25" Douglas barrel. I have utilized only 400gr bullets, both soft points, and solids in these rifles. In-as-much as I handload, I can achieve 2400fps, with NO pressure problems, I have found 2385fps results in better accuracy in both rifles. As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to use any less bullet weight than 400gr (In Africa)
This last year, in Zambia, I shot a buffalo at just over 200yds, and at impact the beast collapsed in his tracks. The bullet was a 400gr Swift A-Frame. My wife shot a puku at 40yds with the same rifle/load...same results.
Reference, lost ammo:
Should you, and your firearm arrive in Afica, but your .416Taylor ammo has gone missing, well, you're gonna' be SOL. If you have a .375H&H, .416Rem, or .458WM,rifle, you very likely can locate some ammo for these calibres. If you're really concerned, don't take a wildcat, stay with a factory calibre. I stated in a previous post, if I had the option of a .416Rem in 1988, I very likely would not have gone to the time, and money to build the Taylor. Having said that; based on my personal experience(s) with the .416 Taylor, today,I would not opt for either the .416 Remington, or the venerable .416 Rigby. When we have properly done our job, the .416 Taylor does its job.
If you would like any further info regarding the Taylor, post it on AR, or e-mail me direct.
Good hunting, JLS

Posts: 96 | Location: Evergreen,Co., USA | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote