Notify
Tools

More stupidity
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
https://www.change.org/p/delta...tm_medium=facebook&u

"Last year, more than a thousand rhinos were poached in South Africa, elephant populations have plummeted 66% in just five years, and the export of lion "trophies" has increased ten-fold--hunters bringing home animals' heads and bodies to stuff and mount. In response to such threats, South African Airways has declared an immediate, worldwide ban on transporting any hunting trophies made from rhinos, lions, elephants, and tigers. Now I need your support to ask Delta Air Lines to match this policy and refuse to transport exotic animal hunting trophies!

South African Airways made it clear this ban applies to all such hunting trophies, without exception, "even if the shipper has a valid permit issued by the relevant authorities." "With the depletion to near extinction of wildlife that once roamed in prolific numbers," there is no justifying the slaughter of such incredible animals for sport and vanity.

But for South African Airways' embargo to have the most effective result in saving animals’ lives, it is imperative that the hunting trophy transport ban is honored across all air carriers.

As the world’s largest airline, and the only U.S. carrier with direct service to South Africa, Delta Air Lines is in a key position to help protect these and other vulnerable wild animal populations from further hunting and poaching pressures.

By refusing to play a role in the wildlife trafficking supply chain, Delta Air Lines can demonstrate the strong and ethical leadership that has made it such a successful and respected company. More importantly, Delta will be helping preserve a valuable natural resource that provides one of the primary reasons customers choose to fly Delta to visit Africa and other wilderness destinations. As a loyal, "Diamond Medallion" Delta customer who has logged over 650,000 miles with the company, I can attest that Ecotourism now accounts for a full 12 percent of GDP in some African countries.

As the Chair of the American Bar Association’s Animal Law Committee, I also am acutely aware how over-hunting has devastated threatened and endangered species. It is a tragic circumstance driven almost exclusively by the $20 billion illicit trade in imperiled animal body parts.

So join me in asking CEO Richard Anderson to show the world that Delta cares by doing its part and refusing to transport exotic animal hunting trophies."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
https://www.change.org/p/delta...tm_medium=facebook&u

"Last year, more than a thousand rhinos were poached in South Africa, elephant populations have plummeted 66% in just five years, and the export of lion "trophies" has increased ten-fold--hunters bringing home animals' heads and bodies to stuff and mount. In response to such threats, South African Airways has declared an immediate, worldwide ban on transporting any hunting trophies made from rhinos, lions, elephants, and tigers. Now I need your support to ask Delta Air Lines to match this policy and refuse to transport exotic animal hunting trophies!

South African Airways made it clear this ban applies to all such hunting trophies, without exception, "even if the shipper has a valid permit issued by the relevant authorities." "With the depletion to near extinction of wildlife that once roamed in prolific numbers," there is no justifying the slaughter of such incredible animals for sport and vanity.

But for South African Airways' embargo to have the most effective result in saving animals’ lives, it is imperative that the hunting trophy transport ban is honored across all air carriers.

As the world’s largest airline, and the only U.S. carrier with direct service to South Africa, Delta Air Lines is in a key position to help protect these and other vulnerable wild animal populations from further hunting and poaching pressures.

By refusing to play a role in the wildlife trafficking supply chain, Delta Air Lines can demonstrate the strong and ethical leadership that has made it such a successful and respected company. More importantly, Delta will be helping preserve a valuable natural resource that provides one of the primary reasons customers choose to fly Delta to visit Africa and other wilderness destinations. As a loyal, "Diamond Medallion" Delta customer who has logged over 650,000 miles with the company, I can attest that Ecotourism now accounts for a full 12 percent of GDP in some African countries.

As the Chair of the American Bar Association’s Animal Law Committee, I also am acutely aware how over-hunting has devastated threatened and endangered species. It is a tragic circumstance driven almost exclusively by the $20 billion illicit trade in imperiled animal body parts.

So join me in asking CEO Richard Anderson to show the world that Delta cares by doing its part and refusing to transport exotic animal hunting trophies."

Strong and Ethical Leadership?

Right.....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You have to admire their organization and persistence. With the ink barely dry on the SAA announcement, they are already using that as a springboard to attack the other airlines. And using the Internet and social media to get the message out. They really are kicking our butts gents. God hope that the NRA will choose to take on hunting issues in serious way. Short of that I feel the prognosis is bleak.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
You can instantly tell how based on facts an article is whenever they include "tigers". Idiots.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
You have to admire their organization and persistence. With the ink barely dry on the SAA announcement, they are already using that as a springboard to attack the other airlines. And using the Internet and social media to get the message out. They really are kicking our butts gents. God hope that the NRA will choose to take on hunting issues in serious way. Short of that I feel the prognosis is bleak.

Maybe we need the NHA, The National Hunting Association.

And yes they are kicking our ass, we do not do ourselves any favors.

The photo they used epitomizes what they think of us.

Cazador, whether it was an accident or not, some of the asswipes in SA do sell tiger hunts.

An ad from one of them (A true hunter and conservationist):

"This tiger was visted by the vet. He is in good condition but he is alone. The breeder have already released him. He is 6 years old.
He is up for hunting or selling alive.....pending which one comes first."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Social media - facebook and twitter has made it very easy for footprint light special interest groups to generate a lot of media buzz.

Costs nothing to like a facebook page.

It is wrong to think of anti-hunting groups as just anti-hunting. They are mainly fund raising and network building organizations. They will move from one issue (elephants) to another (air transport of animal trophies).

Tough to beat them at the social media game as it is a zero cost activity to the vast sea of ill informed people.

Time the NRA steps up for hunters - it expands it base and ties in to gun rights. I have little faith anyone else can fight as brutally as the NRA does. We need a political pit bull.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I saw the photo.
I don't know who looks more lifeless--the lion or the hippo.
Canned SA hunt.
Yes, this makes us all look bad but it is a sad and truthful part of what we do. Fat slobs and canned hunts.
Just one more reason why Africa is no longer a priority.
We're fighting a losing battle. It would be an interesting count as to the number of antis to the number of pros.
If Delta and other airlines follow SAA, hunting is done. If airports are made a "firearm free zone" in the US, hunting is done.
It's on the way, folks. I'm on your side but logic dictates otherwise. Added to this is the escalating prices, lower trophy quality, guaranteed canned hunts, regulations for firearms import and export in the US and destinations, and "hunters" being seen by the public such as the gent in the photo, well, time is running out. To those who tell me (two just this weekend), "I'll save and go in a few years." My suggestion to them is take out a loan and go now. It may not be there in a few years.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I saw the photo.
I don't know who looks more lifeless--the lion or the hippo.
Canned SA hunt.
Yes, this makes us all look bad but it is a sad and truthful part of what we do. Fat slobs and canned hunts.
Just one more reason why Africa is no longer a priority.
We're fighting a losing battle. It would be an interesting count as to the number of antis to the number of pros.
If Delta and other airlines follow SAA, hunting is done. If airports are made a "firearm free zone" in the US, hunting is done.
It's on the way, folks. I'm on your side but logic dictates otherwise. Added to this is the escalating prices, lower trophy quality, guaranteed canned hunts, regulations for firearms import and export in the US and destinations, and "hunters" being seen by the public such as the gent in the photo, well, time is running out. To those who tell me (two just this weekend), "I'll save and go in a few years." My suggestion to them is take out a loan and go now. It may not be there in a few years.
Cal

Right you are Cal. This picture points out the harm that social media can do to our cause.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on Cal. I was under the impression SAA rescinded their ban?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anything against hunting, or normal common sense, gets a lot of attention today.

Reporters who have absolutely no talent at being reporters, gravitate to this.

One only needs look at what is being written by these useless idiots.

The sad part is, Joe Public is just as ignorant, and is incapable of thinking for himself!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Jesus H Christ
Pretty bleak outlook
Back to slow boat to China travel?
Hunting cruise maybe?
After the hunt, load up your trophies and off to home we go?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Time the NRA steps up for hunters - it expands it base and ties in to gun rights. I have little faith anyone else can fight as brutally as the NRA does. We need a political pit bull.

From your lips to God's ears.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the link. GOOD GOSH!!!...."A picture's worth a thousand words"! 2020

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Right you are Cal. This picture points out the harm that social media can do to our cause.
Why cant we use social media against them? 'We' actually have the numbers to make it work.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Why cant we use social media against them? 'We' actually have the numbers to make it work.

We can, it just takes organizational commitment and wherewithal to do so. Unfortunately, rather than use the Internet and email to muster hunters to go on the offensive with anti-hunting groups, SCI would rather use the Internet and email to send out endless new sponsor announcements, special gear promos . . . and my all time favorite that I got today . . . a summer sale on grand slam and inner circle award listings . . . to "Document your Achievements, Leave your Legacy". I have defended SCI in the past but when they do crap like that in the face of everything else going on it is hard not to be a detractor. Why not instead send an email asking members to send a form note to the Delta CEO, or circulate a form letter to send to Congress on the various initiatives Mike Burke listed from the DC meeting, or do an online petition to cut USFWS funding, etc. Their priorities are completely screwed up.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
So where the hell is SCI? We give them dues and attend their shows just so they can contradict lunacy such as this.
Anybody know how we can counter this?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think it is a very simple thing that prevents us from fighting fire with fire. The antis are united in their belief that all hunters actions are wrong.

Hunters on the other hand find it neigh on impossible to agree on anything regarding the rights and wrongs in our sport. We criticise and back stab each other, we are a silo'd, wide ranging demographic that apart from a love of the generic activity we call hunting we cannot find a cohesive thread in our community and on the whole have very little in common.

We have no cohesive strategy to fight the antis. Some take the approach to curse at them and (frankly) are obnoxious and poor ambassadors. Others try to politely educate with fact and science and yet we still get nowhere. There are a million inbetweens.

Hunting is a doomed pastime and one day we will be sitting around and our hunt reports forum will be an archive of the "good ol days" and we will be wondering where they went.

There are already petitions to stop hunting photos being posted on facebook and eventually they will win.

I'm sorry to sound sooo doom and gloom but I currently cannot see a way we can beat this tide we are facing.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We can, it just takes organizational commitment and wherewithal to do so. Unfortunately, rather than use the Internet and email to muster hunters to go on the offensive with anti-hunting groups, SCI would rather use the Internet and email to send out endless new sponsor announcements, special gear promos . . . and my all time favorite that I got today . . . a summer sale on grand slam and inner circle award listings . . . to "Document your Achievements, Leave your Legacy". I have defended SCI in the past but when they do crap like that in the face of everything else going on it is hard not to be a detractor. Why not instead send an email asking members to send a form note to the Delta CEO, or circulate a form letter to send to Congress on the various initiatives Mike Burke listed from the DC meeting, or do an online petition to cut USFWS funding, etc. Their priorities are completely screwed up.

I got the same thing . Shameful. Ridiculous. I don't know what else to say.

SCI if fully aware of the aging of it members. This is one of the reasons for their ill fated booking agency venture. They wanted to replace lost revenues.

I took my sons at a very early age. They like it but they don't love it like I do. My oldest just had his first child. As soon as he found out that it was going to be a boy, his immediate reaction was to question whether I still had the 22 Chipmunk. There is hope.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another reason why I don't belong to the radical, left wing American Bar Association. thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In contrast to the pitiful SCI email, here is a link to an email alert that I received from the NRA-ILA this afternoon (it came as an email, I have provided the browser link). So a blast email goes out to Texas members of the NRA (i) informing them of the issue, and (ii) giving them next steps including contact details for the people they need to contact. This is the type of leadership we need from SCI and proves that it can be done when you have an organization that has its priorities straight. A sale on hunting awards . . . just disgusting.

https://www.nraila.org/article...lidays-for-sportsmen

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
"As a loyal Diamond Medallion" Delta customer who has logged over 650,000 miles with the company, I can attest that Ecotourism now accounts for a full 12 percent of GDP in some African countries.

(1) Diamond Medallion? Who gives a shit? I have twice that many miles on Delta and I can tell you Delta doesn't care and nobody else does.

(2) Okay maybe ecotourism does account for 12 percent of GDP. But what percentage does hunting account for, how many people does hunting employ, how many people does hunting feed, and how many animals don't get poached because of the presence of outfitters and hunters.

This guy is a feminized, self righteous, libtard moron, and I betcha exactly zero of his 650,000 Delta miles were generated by flights to real Africa.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that we are preaching to the choir here on AR. We need to do something to influence non -hunters.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry

What do you think it would take to convert a large trance of fence sitters to accept the hunting story and benefits as fact?

Then what do you think would be required to change the mind of antis?

I don't mean it as a loaded question, I'm genuinely trying to understand what I'm missing in what can be done.

I think like any process be it a business, or PR exercise it needs a roadmap. What I can't get my head round, is what would cause a polar shift in such a persons psyche as I actually think their prejudices on the whole are emotional rather than rational.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of a strategy would actually entail trying to convert fence sitters. The NRA does not try to convince fence sitters that gun ownership is good, that assault rifles are important, etc. The NRA works on building and holding political clout and political capital. They rate legislators, they get involved in primaries, they mobilize members to reach out to politicians, etc. I think a good story is nice and helps the political process but you are not trying to convince people hunting is good. You are trying to bring to bear enough pressure on the political process to get things done, or keeping things from being done.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to say but it can be done.

My wife was an anti-hunter when I met her. She had all the wrong ideas about hunting . I showed her my DVD's which was eye opening to her. She, for the time, saw the danger and the effort. I laughed like hell when she saw an elephant charge on video the first time. She was shocked that such docile creatures tried to kill us.

Over time she saw how much effort I put into preparing . Extreme amounts of exercise. She also saw real conservation efforts for the first time. She also saw the ethics for the first time. I would sit in a tree all day and not just shoot any deer . I would wait for the right one . If I did not get one, fine. It wAs the experience that counted. Most of my stories involved what I saw not what I shot.

She had totally changed.

One of the problems is that social media is made more for the antis. They are looking to hammer hunters. They search out there sites. Fence sitters largely do not care and won't be searching out pro hunting sights.

We need to get the word out in unemotional terms. For example , how much money has been raised by Pittman-Robertson. Just how we do that is subject to debate. Hopefully some here will have some better ideas than me.

One thing for sure. Making our case on AR accomplishes nothing . Making Facebook posts to all our hunting friends accomplishes nothing .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how much of a strategy would actually entail trying to convert fence sitters. The NRA does not try to convince fence sitters that gun ownership is good, that assault rifles are important, etc. The NRA works on building and holding political clout and political capital. They rate legislators, they get involved in primaries, they mobilize members to reach out to politicians, etc. I think a good story is nice and helps the political process but you are not trying to convince people hunting is good. You are trying to bring to bear enough pressure on the political process to get things done, or keeping things from being done.

I think there are 2 groups to influence. Legislators and fence sitters.

I am all for the NRA model of lobbying.

I think the fence sitters are very important. They vote. There is strength in numbers . We need them all on our side. If we don't convert them, the otherside might.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
we have lost the battle- it's just a question of long the war will linger before it's finished. sad but unavoidable. hunters are and always will be a small minority of the population. go while you can.....and where did the original posted link get a picture of Jabba the Hut with a dead lion????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Green- a fountain of miscommunication and the author of this factually inaccurate piece of journalism! Could it be more stupider?

What BS! The only thing I got from this was the disassociated facts assembled together to achieve the goal of having Delta Airlines flex their corporate muscle and adversely impact hunters. He wrongly insinuates Delta Airlines is the conduit of rhino horns from SA to the rest of the world. He attempts to make this issue Delta's issue. They should stick with the business of flying.

If I were Delta's legal representative, I would demand that the POS article be removed, a retraction letter written wiki wiki, and his name be placed on a TSA watch list so he could be routinely pulled from line and flogged.

I would correspond directly with Delta Airlines and complain about his eco-terrorist demands. I would CC it to my Congressman and Senator and get some heat on this organization.

AKMatt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike - forget SCI in this instance, as I have tried to say before SCI is just one part of the equation in stopping the overall anti hunting propaganda.

Its not about converting fence sitters - they just want to be informed. We can inform them if we put the infrastructure together and throw money at it via social media. We can pick and choose the information from SCI, NRA, CITES and a thousand other hunting groups that we choose to promote to the social media world

Really when you look at it - true anti-hunters are FAR outweighed by actual (dedicated) hunters - we just have to get those hunters to join the 'program' and get active politically (in whatever sense of the word).

Yes I know we have had a few recent setbacks with international hunting in Australia recently - but we have been doing this political hunting activism stuff in Australia for over a decade and we are winning (domestically). Just last year we elected our fourth and fifth dedicated hunting/shooting legislator (Shooters & Fishers Party). Every time there is a hunting/shooting newspoll we smash it into smithereens, using our digital networks... no anti can ever use one of those newspolls against us.

Recently we had a federal Senate Inquiry into firearm laws - setup by our own version of Feinstein. Shooters and hunters submissions overwhelmed the inquiry and far outnumbered the antis - we will win many battles for many years because of this inquiry's findings. After the report was released the anti chair of this Inquiry announced, moaned, on her Facebook page that the 'gun lobby' stacked the inquiry. Our networks smashed her Facebook page with data, facts and comments. Then she complained that the horrible gun lobby was targeting her!! Boo hoo.

Bottom line is we actually have the numbers, they do not. Australian shooters/hunters have been beaten-up for a couple of decades and we are fighting back HARD.

This stuff can be done if we agree to put it together and get behind a social media movement.

Rant over... Smiler

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PITA on so many fronts. Won't be flying SAA anymore.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
IMHO I don't see any of the public accepting a pic of a hunter with a dead lion, elephant, or anything.
Perhaps the answer is, rather than stirring the pot, to keep quiet, don't post pics, and be silent. Maybe poachers and corruption will be in the sights of the antis.
I don't know an answer that will work, but I do know we are fighting a losing battle. Not IF it will end, but WHEN.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

STOP this bashing of SCI!!

After all they are FIRST FOR HUNTERS!

Apart from our endless trying to change the direction of this organization, that is becoming sillier by the day, Matt is right.

Give them hell on the so called "social media".

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In my experience it is not about winning some public relations war, it is about being able to mobilize influence on politicians. The reality is that the group that can exert the greatest amount of pressure on the politicians through money, phone calls, letters, emails, meetings, getting voters out at the polls and the like is the group that in most instances is going to come out on top. Groups like the NRA are successful through political muscle in DC and in the state capitals not because of their prowess in public relations. It is raw political power. Social media is a tool to be used to build and mobilize political force, not to convince the public that hunting is good for the animals that are hunted.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my experience it is not about winning some public relations war, it is about being able to mobilize influence on politicians. The reality is that the group that can exert the greatest amount of pressure on the politicians through money, phone calls, letters, emails, meetings, getting voters out at the polls and the like is the group that in most instances is going to come out on top. Groups like the NRA are successful through political muscle in DC and in the state capitals not because of their prowess in public relations. It is raw political power. Social media is a tool to be used to build and mobilize political force, not to convince the public that hunting is good for the animals that are hunted.

+1

Trying to use social media or pr to convince anti-hunting people that hunting is the right way is a waste of time, money and political power.

Better for us hunters to tie into

Gun groups - the NRA
Property rights groups
Use the structure of senate to focus on least keeping that branch pro hunter - a senator call matters - it did on tin/aes
Some money for lobbying instead of hunting awards - hunting awards are a joke anyway

Gun and ammo industry revenue is about $8 bil - nra spends $275 mil plus about 3-4 percent

Getting more pro hunting is perfect for nra.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good luck with that.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you guys complain - young hunters like Eva Shockey are actually fighting the battle on social media (and elsewhere - see below). Not trying to convert anti-hunters either, just inform the voting public.

Eva Shock - Fox & Friends

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Politicians are using the social media more and more, and sadly, 99% of those on the media are as ignorant of the facts of hunting as a rock!

As if that was not enough, they use every opportunity to criticize anything to do with hunting, because it is in vogue right now.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
While you guys complain - young hunters like Eva Shockey are actually fighting the battle on social media (and elsewhere - see below). Not trying to convert anti-hunters either, just inform the voting public.

I am sure Eva Shockley has the anti-hunting establishment shaking in their boots. With all due respect to Eva, I will take the NRA over Eva.

faint

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Politicians are using the social media more and more, and sadly, 99% of those on the media are as ignorant of the facts of hunting as a rock!

As if that was not enough, they use every opportunity to criticize anything to do with hunting, because it is in vogue right now.

Politicians understand two things, money and votes. The could care less about facts.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Show me a picture of her with a dead elephant, lion or rhino.

All her hunting stuff is framed in meat consumption and hunting as natural source of protein.

Very little politically incorrect hunting of big five. She gets in a lot of pr trouble with killing a bear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...t-bears-and-critics/

All bear meat was donated to guides and their family.

I don't think you will see her on a Australian feral buffalo hunt.

Mike