THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    AFRICAN HUNTER MAGAZINE BULLET TEST RESULTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AFRICAN HUNTER MAGAZINE BULLET TEST RESULTS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
RIP,

"Ordnance gelatin is fine for handgun models."

Actually just the opposite is true. You have to ignore TC in most but not all handguns and just look at permanant cavity.

"Not real enough for hunting rifles, I am sure you will agree."

Actually, IWBA calibrated gelatin (10%) works fine up to 50 BMG, you just need alot of it!

There is lots of real world data to compare to in high energy ctgs like 300 winchester and 338 Lapua, to demonstrate that deformation, penetration and grams of destroyed tissue correlate to homo sapiens.

Many of the bullets tested for law enforcement and USSOCOM are also used by folks on this forumn, like the TBBC.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think we all ought to thank 500gr for taking the time to do the test and report it here.

Its been a hell of a party Woodrow

Posts: 46 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez Andy! Ordnance gelatin has no bones!
It is uniform and can be calibrated for such with a BB gun. Convenient, except for the temperature control and mixing/preparation/setup!

Of course those 50 BMG pointy bullets can be stopped with a little extra ordnance gelatin, if they stay on a straight course in their tumbling and don't exit the side of the blocks.

Time with a BMG would be better spent on armor plates.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Cowboy,

"I think we all ought to thank 500gr for taking the time to do the test and report it here."

I agree.

RIP, (aka Poster Boy!),

IWBA gelatin was calibrated to correspond to a shot through the rear leg (femur?) of a large pig, which also has a pretty tough hide.

While it is homogenous, the density takes that thick leg bone into account.

The Royal Canadian Moutned Police has tried casting bones into gelatin when it was testing 147 grain 9mm HP and it made very little difference compared to ones recovered from bad guys. (It was actually too dense).

Gelatin does not correlate to muscle tissue, but a combination of muscle, skin, and bone.

"Convenient, except for the temperature control and mixing/preparation/setup!"

Butchering an elephant is more convenient than mixing up gelatin! dancing

I have used on 55 gallon drum of Kind and Knox gelatin and never went back.

PS 50 BMG's are very stable despite spitzer shape due I assume to their great weight.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah? O.K. Got it. thumb

However, may I remind you that the Iron Buffalo has been calibrated for elephant head shots with 1":7" wood to water ratio, and for elepant or buffalo body shots with 0.5":7.5" (1:15) wood to water ratio. And don't forget the four-layer truck innertube entry port, then water bag, then plywood, then waterbag, then plywood ... ad infinitum.

The Iron Buffalo is also more convenient than ordnance gelatin, and also more convenient than dead elephants.

Yes, many thanks to 500grains, and you too Andy, for any elephant penetration data reported here. clap

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Think of the gelatin as an iron buffalo that was mixed up in a blender!

Anything more complex than an Iron Buffalo and we'd all be better off just going to the local sale yard and buying a 900 pound feedlot steer for 60 cents a pound. killpc

Best wishes. Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Alf!
Congratulations on the successful hunt.
Your post is fascinating as usual. Thanks for posting such excellent information.

My latest signature pic is a 5 year old bull that weighed 1830 pounds on certfied scales after the blood letting. Almost as big as yours, but not as fine a trophy. You got an excellent robe to have tanned up with a skull mount, or a fine shoulder mount and skull. clap

Again, you were missed, and it is good to see you are back. cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post