New
Find
Notify
Tools

Croc question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, first off, I want to say that I have absolutely zero experience with this topic!

My question is: What is your minimum, recommended caliber for a croc hunt? I will be hunting one this coming summer and would like to know your opinion.

Thank you

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a croc but I watch Swamp People reruns all the time when I stay at the Holiday Inn. They believe that .22LR is best but 17HMR is gaining popularity. If you want a little more horsepower,just use your scoped .375. Have fun, good luck!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

you can use a 22 hornet but sensible would be min 243 up is all about shot placement!

Hope that helps

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Accuracy and choice of ammunition is the name of the game here and any flat shooting calibre in the 300 range will do.

If you want the skull then you have to be familiar with the neck shot. The PH will help you out with bullet placement.

I would guess about 30% of crocs are lost to poor shooting.

Hunting a big croc can be very fine sport indeed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

A brain or spine shot hasto be taken on croc or your going to loose them in the water but you don't need a big rifle to brain a croc with. Any PG caliber with a good expanding bullet will work fine. If your going to try the spine shot at the back of the smile you might want something heavier as you'll need more penetration.

I brained one with a 338 WM and spined a second with 375 WBY but I think a 30-06 with TSX or similiar would have worked just as well.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you're going for a head shot, I'd strongly recommend you use a solid because if you use a soft, it could well blow the skull to hell and the taxidermist will curse you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. I was also going to ask about recommended bullets; thanks Shakari! I wasn't overly impressed with Barnes tsx when I used them for plains game, but it sounds like this might be good for a croc.

I have given my son my reliable 300 win ma to hunt with. I now have my "back up" 7mm WSM to use for the hunt. Factory ammo availability is very limited. I need to start preparing!

Thanks again!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun you shoot best with

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve of course is correct. A brain shot particularly taken from an angle with a soft point does tends to blow the top of the head to peices but a soft can make up for being a litte off on your mark just because of the explosion of the head. A solid has to be placed very precisely in a croc's small brain but you'll have a very neat small hole in the skin. I think I wouold go the solid route if I ever hunted crocs again.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
As several mentioned, accuracy from a rifle you shoot well is paramount to killing a dinosaur. If you study croc anatomy, it makes better sense to aim for the neck than their small brain. You have more of a target that will kill or immobilize. I know of an instance where a client insisted upon the brain shot as his .375 "Will kill him stone dead if you hit them anywhere near the brain." He took the shot; the croc lunged into the river leaving his skull cap behind on the rocks. Never recovered. I use a .280 (160 grain bullet) but most any well placed shot with a good bullet into their spine will paralyze if not kill it.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We always recommended an accurate .300 Win. Mag. Emphasis on accurate. My wife brained
a 14 ' 8" years ago with a .30-06. That rifle still puts 3 shots under and inch at 100 yards.

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I should have course mentioned that pin point accuracy is vital in a croc brain shot...... you need to be confident of hitting a target the size of a golf ball or perhaps a chicken egg at whatever range you're shooting at.

Here's what can happen if you use a soft on a brain shot.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alternatively. You could just go fishing....... or should that be crocing? Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's been quite a while since you brought up croc fishing Steve! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I haven't even thought about it for ages but when the subject of hunting flatties came up, it reminded me of how much fun it is! tu2

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
The gun you shoot best with

Maybe the best answer so far.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wendell

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Crocs: lizards and monsters the difference is 14 feet long and they get massive head, teeth, and weight. In 06 when I shot my 16 footer, there was a 12 footer in the skinning shed. When laid side by side the 12 footer was a lizard.
As for accuracy good shooter is most important. I mean the trigger man with an accurate rifle. Brain solids, neck behind the smile soft. My375 H&H would shoot 1 inch at 100yds. That is the kind of accuracy. It is just like shooting prarie dogs, head shots.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I'm going for his big brother!

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you brain shoot the croc, as I did, do not delay in promptly placing one or more in the body. Behind the smile or into the shoulder are fine. A thirty percent loss ratio was mentioned earlier. Do not let this happen to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 X 62 with a 286 grain Barnes TSX. Been there done that along with Hippo in addition to the Croc. Penetrates like a solid with the expansion features of a soft. End of story, just hit them where they need to be hit.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
crocs lizards and monsters the difference is 14 feet long and they get massive head, teeth, and weight. In 06 when I shot my 16 footer, there was a 12 footer in the skinning shed. When laid side by side the 12 footer was lizard.
As for accuracy good shooter is most important. I mean the trigger man with an accurate rifle. Brain solids, neck behind the smile soft. My375 H&H would shoot 1 inch at 100yds. That is the kind of accuracy. It is just like shooting prarie dogs, head shots.

Never get tired of seeing that croc. There is a 100 plus years of history right there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
crocs lizards and monsters the difference is 14 feet long and they get massive head, teeth, and weight. In 06 when I shot my 16 footer, there was a 12 footer in the skinning shed. When laid side by side the 12 footer was lizard.

Never get tired of seeing that croc. There is a 100 plus years of history right there.

Can you imagine what's been in that croc's stomach through so many years??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For something so damned ugly,
that's beautiful!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures again.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Being no expert, I think about any well constructed bullet will obviously work for a head shot. What really stuck out to me is the huge size of the jowl/neck area on a big croc. There is a lot of (hide and) muscle to get through before you hit that large spinal column. I shot mine with a .416Rem soft a couple of times behind the smile for insurance, and to the best of my recollection, at least one did not pass through at 60 yards. That would really have me considering one of the larger calibers if thinking about a neck shot. I love the .300 mag, and I think most of the time it would be OK, but I would feel a lot better with a .375 or larger as long as it is an accurate rifle.

you can see what I mean about the super thick neck area...

And yes the hole in the jaw was from a pitiful shot the day before...doesn't matter how big the gun is, that kind of shooting won't kill 'em.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
This man eater just caught in Uganda was 18 foot
http://gametrails.org/monster-...oc-caught-in-uganda/

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Behind the smile with a 375 RUM, Barnes TSX. On a mud flat across a small river in Mozambique, 2006.
He thrashed a might, but went nowhere.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote