THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Danny McCallum Safaris - Update from 2012 season
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Danny McCallum Safaris - Update from 2012 season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari2,
there are other factors to cosider such as the ele ivory limits imposed here in TZ whihc have been steadily increasing by a couple inches/lbs or two every other season.

Also, with the full bag of species, one easily get's side tracked form focusing on lion + ele, particularly if the hunter is relatively new to the game.

If someone is serious about attempting both on one safari, then book at least 28 days, hire an extra PH and baiting car and focus solely on those two species. Your chances for success will dramatically increase.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed Greg posted photos of the 2 lions
below his original post.

Thanks Greg.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
During show season this year there were some (very much unsubstantiated) allegations that Danny McCallum safaris went 1 for 15 on lions last year. Its not true in the slightest, and in fact they only had 5 lion hunters total for all of last season in all of their areas. While they did only kill 1 lion (which is not good success rate, I agree), a mixture of drought and new, little understood regulations regarding lions age hindered that success significantly. We sent 4 of the 5 lion hunters Danny had last year and 3 of them had mature lions on bait, with one killing a giant cat. I'll be the first to say that's not the success rate we expect, but we believed in Danny based on past clients successes and booked more hunters with him this year.

Our first client in camp this year is telling a much different story. Better rains this year have contributed to more plainsgame and buffalo in the areas, and a lot more cats. Our client has been hunting the area since August 1, and so far has taken 2 big maned lions(one of which Danny McCallum himself says has the largest skull he's ever personally seen on a lion), 1 big tom leopard with a second on bait they're hunting this evening, a 47.5" sable, 30" roan, 2 big buffalo (don't know exact size, both over 40"), lots of plainsgame and said "he's seen more game on this safari than on any of the other's he's been on" (he's been on a lot). He also said Danny McCallum is the best professional hunter he's ever been around in any country in Africa or elsewhere.

I'm not trying to "plug" our company, I am just wanting to spread some positive word out there about Danny's company after there was so much overblown negativity from last season that really hurt his reputation as one of the best operators in Africa today. A great start to a season that's sure to turn into another great one for them.

Best Regards,

Greg

Photos of both cats (cats were actually taken in adjacent concessions, Lukwati South and Chunya)

Greg...I tell you one thing it is VERY RARE to see 2 wild trophy lions together in one photo these days.
Used to see it some in the safari ads back in the 60's from Angola, Botswana but rare to non existant today.

Congrats to you and Danny McCallum Safaris.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote