New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rich Tabor Freelance PH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After just completing my 16th trip to Africa, I have settled on how I will hunt and choose hunts from now on.

This is my 4th trip with Rich Tabor where we hunted elephant ration and buffalo in Sengwe Research as the guests of Mokore Safaris. The reason I use Rich as a freelance PH are several. First I am far too busy to try and sift the wheat from the chafe when it comes to hunting areas. I merely tell Rich what I want to do and he comes up with options. As a PH he has his finger on the pulse of what is going on and where the best areas might be.

He is not limited to a specific area. He is not trying to sell quota. He is free to go where we can find the best hunting and also be cost aware.
If a problem or concern arises he can merely walk in the door of whomever we are dealing with and make a plan.

He is acting as my ergo agent, with the difference being he has actually hunted these areas and is often friends with the concession holders.

Rich is an excellent hard working PH with extensive experience with elephants and cats. At this point we have gotten to be quite good friends.

If you have done a decent amount of hunting, the freelance PH approach may work for you. There are many great agents on here that I like and respect and will use for other things but for Africa, Rich is my guy. He offers hunts in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Mozambique as well as others so I am covered until my knees give out. Might be something to consider. I know some other folks that hunt this way with "their" guy so I am not the only one.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Jeff, how did you like Sengwa Research? That may be my most favorite place I have ever hunted.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Mr. Jines. I will be making a seperate post on that subject.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you had a good trip. Look forward to hearing more. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Rich is a first rate guy and an excellent PH,my wife and I hunted with him in Dande. You really can't go wrong with him.

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
+2 on Rich. Great guy and hardworking PH!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any other PH's that are known to freelance?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I heard Blake Wilhelmeni of CMS was doing a little freelancing. Fine PH.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have used Martinus Naude as a freelance on several Zimbabwe safaris. I trust him completely and he is now a close friend.
My wife always accompanied me and he made sure we were comfortable, safe and successful.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich is the man!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I do the exact same thing with Nigel Theisen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to my point...there was an accidental billing error by Mokore for my trophies. Rich and me are both copied. He contacts me goes to Mokore and I am waiting for a corrected invoive. Never lifted a finger. service.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO too tu2

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Freelance?? Is that a pussy way of saying that he has his own company?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

George...that's uncalled for...
It's not a "Pussy" way of saying anything.
It's a way of saying that you are independent of the various operators..
It's a way of saying..depending on what you are wanting to hunt and do, I have access to many of the best areas to hunt...not just the exclusive areas of the Operator one is tied to...
It's a way of also even choosing perhaps who you want to hunt with...like, for example, say some known Asshole wants to do a hunt and you know said person by reputation...you can simply say no thank you..I'd rather not hunt with you and share a cAmp..whereas..an operator may take said persons money and stick some poor bastard PH in charge of this potentially miserable hunt and they have no choice.
See the difference?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

It's a way of saying..depending on what you are wanting to hunt and do, I have access to many of the best areas to hunt...not just the exclusive areas of the Operator one is tied to...
It's a way of also even choosing perhaps who you want to hunt with...like, for example, say some known Asshole wants to do a hunt and you know said person by reputation...you can simply say no thank you..I'd rather not hunt with you and share a cAmp..whereas..an operator may take said persons money and stick some poor bastard PH in charge of this potentially miserable hunt and they have no choice.
See the difference?

I don't think you understood.It is my understanding that Richard now works for himself and not for another outfitter and his clients are his.So he is not a freelance-the way I understand it.I look forward to hunting with him again.The original post is a pussy like comment.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

See the difference?

I don't think you understood.It is my understanding that Richard now works for himself and not for another outfitter.So he is not a freelance-the way I understand it.I look forward to hunting with him again.The original post is a pussy like comment.

George,

Try to behave !

Rich is having is own company working as a freelance. Meaning that he does not lease his own hunting area and he is not tied to one safari operator, but offers his clients different options. Not more complicated than that !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A freelance is someone who works for different outfitters as a PH for their clients.Richard has his own company period.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
And I bet he is just counting the days until he is lucky enough to hunt with you again! Whistling

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
And I bet he is just counting the days until he is lucky enough to hunt with you again! Whistling

Your the one who passed out on their PH and I bet you barely walked 10 steps. rotflmo
He is lucky you didn't shoot him.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
holycow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A freelance is someone who works for different outfitters as a PH for their clients.Richard has his own company period.

Yes, that is true George.....however he may not have technically formed a company to do so as we would here

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Is Thiery Lebatt not also a free lance PH? (Apologies for spelling errors of his name)

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A free-lancer can be anyone who privately hires out his services to a third party irrespective of the fact that he may or may not be the owner of a company.

By so doing it means his fee will not show in the company books and when it concerns professional hunting, might well be a case of "cash in hand". Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
quote:
quote:

See the difference?

I don't think you understood.It is my understanding that Richard now works for himself and not for another outfitter.So he is not a freelance-the way I understand it.I look forward to hunting with him again.The original post is a pussy like comment.

George,

Try to behave !

Rich is having is own company working as a freelance. Meaning that he does not lease his own hunting area and he is not tied to one safari operator, but offers his clients different options. Not more complicated than that !

Morten

I don't know what and how he goes about his operations only he knows that.What I do know is this you moron-he has his own company.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, why do you always have to be a dick towards others?

It seems like on nearly any thread you post, the thread goes South due to you being a douche nozzle. Why do you feel compelled to always be this way?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Shootaway, why do you always have to be a dick towards others?

It seems like on nearly any thread you post, the thread goes South due to you being a douche nozzle. Why do you feel compelled to always be this way?

Says who-
a fat pig who can't walk to hunt, has to shoot animals that are almost captive in a zoo and who stalks my posts on AR to harass?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is shooting a buffalo cow, a "pussy way" to end a trophy buffalo hunt??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:

Judging from one of your previous posts like the one below,I think you might never have hunted DG or even own a DG rifle.One thing is for sure is that you have stalked my posts and like to harass me.When you come out from hiding behind your mommys skirt maybe then you stand a chance of saying something that someone interesting will listen to.

posted by Texas Blue Devil

"First off, this is my first post. I think this is a great website with an incredible amount of knowledge on hunting.

I am currently planning a 14 day plainsgame hunt in Namibia for 2010 for me, my father and my two boys. This will be our first trip to Africa. It has been pretty difficult deciding on an outfitter. After meeting many with many outfits at the shows, I have it narrowed down to,
Reveille Hunting Ranch
Getaway Kalahari Safaris
African Twilight Safaris

Has anyone hunted with these hunting operations?
I'd really like a place that is kid friendly. I want to book enough time, so we don't feel rushed on the hunt. We would like to collect the normal stuff like... Kudu, Oryx, warthog. We don't need to shoot everything. I plan to go back.

Would hunting with two different operator on the same trip be more trouble that its worth??

I would appreciate any input that you can give.
Thanks!!

Go Duke"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Johan Du Preez, http://www.inyalasafaris.co.za who "freelances" as discribed in original post.
Hunted RSA and Mozambique. We went to various properties, going to where the animals we wanted were located.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just guessing that George "Shootaway" is bipolar and is off his meds this week.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
I'm just guessing that George "Shootaway" is bipolar and is off his meds this week.

This from a Mr Hater. I am sure any PH would like to have you as a client-what a joke.

posted by RCG

"You are right. The truth does surface. You are Saeed's pet monkey. Go fling some more poo Monkey Boy. You and that gibbering idiot Hubel have turned more people away from that Ukraine cesspool you now call home. What a sad, solitary life you must lead. Your claim to fame is being an attention whore on a hunting website. Carry on Froggy!"

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Shootaway completely, a free lancer is a man with a pole on horseback who knocks other men off horses as targets of opportunity and hadn't been sent to prison for it yet.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to hijack thread but I need some technical help. Isn't there some way to block posts from shoot away so I wouldn't see them. How do you do that?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
Don't mean to hijack thread but I need some technical help. Isn't there some way to block posts from shoot away so I wouldn't see them. How do you do that?

It seems to me you've decided to do just the opposite.Instead of minding your own fucking business you found an opportunity to practice what you are all about-shitting on and harassing the whole world.
Here is a post showing how stupid you are.You can't figure out for yourself how much a lion hunt would cost.

posted by els

"If you totaled plane fare, shuttle flights, tips etc. That is the total hunt cost what would average lion hunt cost? If you were going to save up for a lion hunt how much would you have to have in hand before you were ready for your hunt?"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:

It's easy. Click on his name in the upper left corner of any of his posts. A drop down menu appears. One of the options there is add to ignore list. Click on it and he disappears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I will block this asshole from any other threads I read.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU JDOLLAR!!!!!
It worked dancing

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You are welcome. I consider it a service to the members. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:

Judging from one of your previous posts like the one below,I think you might never have hunted DG or even own a DG rifle.One thing is for sure is that you have stalked my posts and like to harass me.When you come out from hiding behind your mommys skirt maybe then you stand a chance of saying something that someone interesting will listen to.

posted by Texas Blue Devil

"First off, this is my first post. I think this is a great website with an incredible amount of knowledge on hunting.

I am currently planning a 14 day plainsgame hunt in Namibia for 2010 for me, my father and my two boys. This will be our first trip to Africa. It has been pretty difficult deciding on an outfitter. After meeting many with many outfits at the shows, I have it narrowed down to,
Reveille Hunting Ranch
Getaway Kalahari Safaris
African Twilight Safaris

Has anyone hunted with these hunting operations?
I'd really like a place that is kid friendly. I want to book enough time, so we don't feel rushed on the hunt. We would like to collect the normal stuff like... Kudu, Oryx, warthog. We don't need to shoot everything. I plan to go back.

Would hunting with two different operator on the same trip be more trouble that its worth??

I would appreciate any input that you can give.
Thanks!!

Go Duke"

Talk about stalking, you worked really hard tracking down my first post back in 2009. Since then I have made 8 trips to Africa. I've taken 5 elephants and several more buffalo. All of my elephants and buffalo were bulls, and every time I shot the intended animal. No accidental cows. And like most people, I am welcome back to hunt with all the outfitters.

I do want to thank you for that buffalo cow video. That was one of the funniest things I've seen on the internet.

George you are just a toxic douchebag troll.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote