New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Would You Shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless they were both posing at the same time, I'd probably shoot whichever one I saw first. In the unlikely event that they were standing together, I'd shoot whichever one I liked the most.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contrary to popular belief bulls will bread far past 8 years of age. Certainly one wants to shoot the oldest bull he can, within reason, but a 8 year old bull that is hard bossed, and shows some baldness in his face with a 42" spread is a taker on the last few days of a safari. In the first place what you think is an 8 yr old may be a 10 yr old, and any 10 yr old has already passed his genes on certainly.

In a healthy herd, I would imagine the 10-12 year old bulls to be the primary breeders. Once a bull hits 14, I understand that is considered a very old dagga, as a wild buff's lifespan is considered around 15.

Based upon Keven Robertson's excellent book about aging buffalo, an 8-year old buff, will have a small piece of soft boss, on the forefront of his horns, and sharp horn tips, whereas a 14 year old buff, will probably be totally hard bossed and missing hair around his face, with more rounded horn tips and a smoother boss.

Of course these are generalities, and someone would still need to have the experience to field judge these animals, especially if they were not standing side-by-side.

Without being obsessed by horn length, I think a hunter should have some idea of what kind of trophy he wants to take; realizing that the ideal is just a goal, not a make-or-break hunting requirement.

I think the most important thing on a hunt is to enjoy yourself, and then try your best to accomplish your dreams to the limits of your abilities.

I've really enjoyed the pics and discussion.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the most important thing on a hunt is to enjoy yourself, and then try your best to accomplish your dreams to the limits of your abilities.

Is that not the truth.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I truly love buffalo hunting, but BETTER THAN SEX?????? I don't know about that, but being in my 80th year I don't know if I remember enough to make that judgement!
.................................................................... Whistling old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Don't get me wrong sex is good and sometimes it is great (still), but although I am only 63, I find that the memories of my buffalo hunts seem to last longer than the memories of great sex. (Perhaps because the individual hunts last longer than the sexual trysts?)

(Then again I will never forget that cold Kentucky night a girl and I spent in an old woman's home, lying under a quilt in front of a coal-fired fireplace. We were both about 18 then and neither one of us could get enough! Last I heard the girl married a multi-millionaire who owns an oil company.)

Well off to shoot the .416!

Good hunting,

BH63

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want the oldest ones regardless of their horns. I have lost the "trophy bug".

On my last buffalo hunt I also hunted a few plains game. I told the PH that we should look for old and worn out animals. I was in the mood for a nice leisurely week of moseying around in the bush veld .

Well, did I get an education! For example, we would spot an old limping animal with a broken horn, and would hunt him until we got him. Those old guys get old for a reason. They are smart and would lead us around in bush, sometimes, for hours. It was a ball. I am going to do it that way again, especially with buffalo. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote