New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Would You Shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hypothetically, if you were on a buff hunt would you rather shoot an 8-year old bull with 42" spread, or a 14-year old bull with a 38" spread?

Both buffs have nice, solid, 15" bosses, with the older bull's boss being slightly more polished.

The reason I pose this, is because some game conservationists feel that shooting a breeding bull (the 8-year old) is considered bad form, and only the older, non-breeding bulls should be shot.

What say you?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
The 14 year old bull - no question - and it would not even be close!

......and as to your last statement, the older I get, the more true it becomes!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them old and cranky, like most of us here on AR :-)

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%! I would rather shoot the old boy who is not breeding anymore and has already spread his genes. The young bull is still breeding. It's a no brainer.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same as previously stated. That and old dugga boys are smart and a real challenge

Tim

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

What????? No Blaser?????

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, the old bull with the 38" spread. My first bull was estimated to be around 17 years old and he was not quite a scrum cap, but he was working on it. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

What????? No Blaser?????

Mauser M03 might be more of a contraption than the Blaser is.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Either for me. Let God provide which one...

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When the PH asks me what I'm looking for, I tell him the oldest animals around.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which one is the buffalo?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
If I saw an 8 yr old 42" wide, 15" hard-bossed buffalo I would have no qualms about shooting his ass.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What????? No Blaser?????

Dave, since Mauser is owned by Blaser, I got a special dispensation :-)

Cal, I'm only 12...in Buffalo years!

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as it's solid bossed, shoot whichever you think looks nicer.

I'm at the point where either is fine by me, but it has to be solid bossed. I would hesitate to pass on a 42" solid boss "hoping" to find an older one, and if I ran into a gnarled old 38", no reason not to shoot it. Shot more than a few 34-36" in the Selous my last time, only rule was solid bossed.

Posts: 10971 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going on a two buf hunt in Oct. and will be looking for two OLD,OLD, white faced bulls with worn down horns. The search for old bulls with age being the criteria, rather than width, can be even more challenging.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:
If I saw an 8 yr old 42" wide, 15" hard-bossed buffalo I would have no qualms about shooting his ass.

I've got a 42" wide, 15 1/2" bossed buffalo on the wall. I wonder if he was 8 years old? Confused

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
a younger Bull just doesn't give you that " you owe me money look "

This old fellow is a great Buffalo

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The first one of them I saw!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

IMO PSmith has it nailed. It's nice to talk about turning down a mature bull in his prime but I doubt many would really walk away from a hard head 42" bull. I freely admit that I would not.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The ugliest SOB I can find.

Pretty boy can go find a mate!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11191 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot buffalo in the low 40's. Don't need another one in that range if he's young. Something hard-bossed and over 45 and I'd have to think about it. That said, I shot three last year and they were all 38-39". Youngest was estimated at 11 (needed bait). And that was the most fun I've ever had hunting buffalo.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

IMO PSmith has it nailed. It's nice to talk about turning down a mature bull in his prime but I doubt many would really walk away from a hard head 42" bull. I freely admit that I would not.

Mark

I would gladly pass, and pick an older bull - even one with no horns, over a you younger one.

We actually leave bigger, younger trophies for others, and pick the very old ones no one wants.

I have no idea how many buffalo I have shot, the biggest was a 49" bull with one broken horn.

I have shot quite a number in the 40-46" range, and some that have nothing but smooth stubs left. Smiler

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer to shoot a tough bull with a hard boss.I don't mind if it is old as long as it is not sick.I would let the hunt go along as is and see what opportunity arises then decide.The only time I had no issue with the selection of buff was when I hunted Makuti.In Makuti there were quality buff all around some old ones too.The other areas I would be lucky to get 30 inches and hard bossed even if I paid a 1300 daily rate.If I wanted to hunt ranches maybe it would be different but I have no interested in doing so.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really interesting answers. I would probably opt for the 42" bull, since I only have two buff and they are both around 34". If the older bull really had a ton of character I might go with the 38" head.

That pic Jan posted of the old bull really got my heart going. I would guess that bull to be 40" or better.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
A quick glance through a skinning shed or taxidermist's prep rooms is revealing on which answer people pick in real life!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first one with a clear shot Cool

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Since I haven't shot one yet either would be in danger.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Old and hard headed

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is the best buff mount I have ever seen!!

i hope that someday I will have the opportunity to have to make such a decision!1

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "first timer" will always be hoping for the biggest and the best and wouldn't know the difference between mature and past effective breeding age; p.s. dagga boys with worn out horns are still capable of breeding - just look at ourselves Big Grin

That said, once you are satiated with the "spread" fetish, you will have gained sufficient wisdom to know that the old dagga boys, with their varied selection of gnarled, polished or worn down scrum cap horns are really the ones to go for as they would be the most likely adversary with which to "lock horns" and get a run for your money.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Or just shoot them all clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics of old buff. The boss on the rightmost buff (as you are looking at the pic) on the second pic is fantastic!

To be honest I would only shoot a buff with a scrum head if it there was no charge and the buff was a proven danger to humans.

As for the really old buff being dangerous, I would expect even with buff they reach a point where their "senior moments" become more frequent then all their years of hard won experience (I belive that is nature's way of getting rid of the useless. JMO).

Good Hunting,

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

i believe i'd have shot the rifle instead of the buff

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider shooting an 8 year old bull. Even if he had 50" horns.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Maybe one that's old , warn down and wide ?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Maybe one that's old , warn down and wide ?

Bugger off Jan and no where on this thread you are allowed all three.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great old bulls.

Comment about looking at what gets mounted being the best indication of what is generally shot is so true. I returned this week from a stay at a private club whose members are hunters and fishermen. I was a guest.

There is a lot of taxidermy in the club. There was a buffalo shoulder mount, hard-bossed, but looked to be about 33-34". Mature, but not particularly old.

Actually, that might have been a bull that should be taken and not allowed to breed.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation from someone that has not, and probably never will hunt Cape Buffalo, but in a situation on a hunt, I would shoot the first bull I came across, but in a situation where I could pick and choose, the old bull has the most important aspect, character, and that only comes with age.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Contrary to popular belief bulls will bread far past 8 years of age. Certainly one wants to shoot the oldest bull he can, within reason, but a 8 year old bull that is hard bossed, and shows some baldness in his face with a 42" spread is a taker on the last few days of a safari. In the first place what you think is an 8 yr old may be a 10 yr old, and any 10 yr old has already passed his genes on certainly. There is no way I would shoot a scrum cap buffalo regardless of age. He needs to be left for the lions to feed on while also training the near grown cubs.

...................................................................Show me a person who can accurately tell the difference between a 8 and 10 yr old buffalo if both are hard bossed!

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Show me a person who can accurately tell the difference between a 8 and 10 yr old buffalo if both are hard bossed!

Any takers??

BH63