THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Interest from Barnes Bullets R&D

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Interest from Barnes Bullets R&D
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I received this from Barnes today. Pretty prompt response, huh?

Quote:

Hi Judge G

Thanks for the email address. I like to visit the Accurate reloading web site on occasion and read all of the interesting comments.
We do appreciate the request and as I mentioned before and we do take your suggestions very serious. I will add yours to the list.
You are correct, basically reprogramming the computer is all that is required to make the bullet. We must consider several other factors when changing a bullet style. For instance. How many customers are we going to anger because they liked the round nose and have already worked up a load?
There will be lots of R&D work to ensure the bullet flies well and won't tumble, meplat diameter, accuracy testing, market surveys, etc.
You make a good point when you talk about calling Graff or Midway.This is a positive that is in our favor.
Just so you know, your email went to Randy and Coni both. Your requests do not fall on deaf ears.
Thanks for all your support.

We Aim to please. Reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it!

Ty Herring
Customer Service
TyH@barnesbullets.com
Barnes Bullets Inc.
P.O.Box 215
American Fork, Ut 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
Toll Free 800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-2465

I'm going to suggest that they send me some "re-programed" .458's with a meplat and I'll test the penetration on an elephant for them this June!

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, well, well. How about that.

If they came out with bullets as I suggested, above, I'd buy some. I sure wouldn't gripe about having to work up new loads. Some things are worth getting upset about -- and others aren't. I learned that lesson very well this past year.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Mike Murray at Alaska Bullet Works today (maker of Kodiak bullets), and they are currently bonding about forty .458 500 gr. FMJ FLAT NOSE per minute.

These are the heavily reinforced copper jacketd solids with linotype lead core that is bonded to jacket.

this is a huge advantage over conventional bullets as it wont fish tail or squirt any lead out rear.

Not likely to bend either. Reinforced meplat like old British solids.

Think this is the bullet used in Buffalo bore bullets sold by Cabelas.

Why bother with a long monometal when you can buy these and not wait???

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote