New
Find
Notify
Tools

Return from Zimbabwe - Security
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just returned from 5 weeks in Zimbabwe and all is well there...as can be expected. I drove approximately 1400 kilometers alone and did not have any problems at all during my trip. Went through dozens of road blocks (the normal) and the police could have not been nicer. I just don't know where SCI and Department of State get their information from? CYA in some case. I feel much safer on the streets of Zimbbwe than I do in south Africa and the US. Example, when I returned home I found my house had been broken into and gun stolen. So much for security here.

Regards,

RON OLIVER
830-336--3345
234 W. Bandera Rd 310
Boerne, TX 78006
www.Africahs@aol.com
www.Africahs.com

Posts: 76 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Be that as it may, it would behoove any foreign hunter anywhere in Africa to think "CYA" in case "TSHTF". Have several contingency plans to cover possible scenarios. Do not assume that the situation will be static. Let your embassy know where you are going and your time schedule. Study the area where you are going to be and know where you have to go to reach safety (in military parlance - have a rally point). I am not being an alarmist but having travelled, worked, and played in some of the world's most volatile scenes has taught me be ready if things go south rapidly.

Enjoy Africa, but CYA.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
We're experiencing the same thing Ron: no problems and great hunting. Some recently back reported no problems anywhere. Guess I'm still going next year Smiler Thanks for the update. David

PS: Point taken namibiahunter. Good advice to all of us that travel.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I will be there in 8 weeks.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I leave for Zim on Saturday morning.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ron for the good report. I'll be there in a month. 'Sorry to hear about your house and gun though. I know that's an awful feeling.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ron. That was my experience as well although you were there much longer than me. I am making plans for a return in the next year or so.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
It is always good to hear from hunters with recent experience in Zim. I have a ticket to Zim late in August. My outfitter there (Wayne Jardine, Zimafrica Safaris south of Bulawayo) tells me to cancel my ticket and not to come. He says there are shortages such that he can no longer provide the usual accommodations to hunters. He says that the situation is too fluid, too unstable to predict from day to day.

I then checked with contacts in South Africa who say that Zim is in "meltdown." They say that there is danger there which can be avoided if alternative destinations are possible.

I guess what this all means is that everyone expects further deterioration, but no-one knows how fast the deterioration will happen. The government's desperation and the population's resentment appears to be escalating at this time. Thanks. Bill

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting as it is the first time I have heard a PH say "don't come". Will he give you a full refund?

In talking to Charlton McCallum Safaris, they are continuing to have good hunts with no problems away from the cities and no one is cancelling nor are they recommending it.

I'm sure there are variables depending on the location, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill 5248,
I was just with Wayne at the annual Parks Quota meeting in Bulawayo. He said all was fine and he was booked up? No problems?
Yes, there are food shortage but safari operators are making plans. They will go to SA or Botswana if necessary to obtain food stores. As with fuel, they are allowed to import items if they have US $$ allocation.

If you would still like to go contact me and I'll make it work for you.

I am returning next month until mid Novermber and will keep providing feed back on conditions there in Zimbabwe.

Regards,

RON OLIVER
830-336--3345
234 W. Bandera Rd 310
Boerne, TX 78006
www.Africahs@aol.com
www.Africahs.com

One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Ron, you are obviously knowledgable about conditions in Zim. Thanks for the feedback regarding this matter with Wayne Jardine of Zimafrica Safaris south of Bulawayo. When Wayne told me not to come to Zim for the plains game hunt we have planned, he said nothing about refunding the money invested ($6700). I am gaining more and more experience with Wayne, unfortunately none of it good. I will stay in touch with you and the forum and we'll see how this plays out. Thanks. Bill

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something doesn't jive here.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The good news is if the hunt turns to custard you can at least have a game of golf at the famous Elephant Hills Golf cource in Vic Falls

JUST make sure you put your drive down the middle of the fairway (-:

Cheers ... Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Africa Wild Media
posted Hide Post
There always seems to be lots of conficting reports coming out of Zim. My wife was told that 15 of her brothers Hunts were cancelled because of the "security" problems, yet when I spoke to him yesterday he says all is well and no hunts were cancelled !! My brother inlaw is Allan Van Rensburg, he hunts for Peter Johnstone at Cawston, Iam pretty sure Ron may know Allan...

Africa Wild Media
"Hunting Video Productions"

Posts: 13 | Location: South Africa - Cape Town | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I believe to say that all is fine in Zimbabwe is a bit of an overstatement. Namibia hunter said it well couple days ago and that simply being well aware of the problems in Zimbabwe and hopefully have a plan to extract oneself in the event of societal colapse(will not be easy to do.) Only a few hours ago it was announced that Zimbabwe government will now control all importation of fuels and obviously that will impact on those previously obtaining fuel supplies out of the borders of Zimbabwe, black market if you will. Interesting to note that those folks actually living in Zimbabwe, not for a couple weeks or so, residents,etc., do not give negative reports on the situation there?? Answer is simply to do so would not be the best thing you could do for your health or your family. All communications are monitored wherever possible and can really place one in jeopardy w/ reports not favorable to the government. Nah, believe I feel much safer in the U.S. than in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
dsitesman

If communications were so rigorously monitored, most everyone I know would be incarcerated.

You are correct when you say we citizens continue to encourage tourists to come here so that we can keep our businesses and families afloat. However, your insinuation(s) that we are putting our clients and friends at risk sucks. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just for you. It is not dangerous to visit Zimbabwe at this time. When it does become so, members of this forum and our loyal client base will be the first to know. We are still conducting quality hunting safaris and if you want to have a successful and enjoyable hunt, come and hunt with us. We currently have some great late season big game deals available. Interested?

I hope I have made myself clearer this time.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dsiteman, looks like you're certainly enjoying yourself, posting your exaggerations to rile people up.

Trolls get a bit tiring after a while though, and I suspect your shit is starting to stink, in most peoples' noses.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm continuously amazed at what the white Zim residents have been through in the last several years.

How they can carry on with such stoicism is beyond me, and speaks volumes for their character.

I can't wait to go back....

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I'm already planning for my 2009 buffalo hunt in Zim.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
How about elephant in October 2007? Have .416 Blaser will travel!

Zim will be Zim until it is something else. Ever drive down Brush street in Detroit, MI.??? I'll take the Save Conservancy anytime. Besides, if it goes bad, think of the adventure crossing the bush into Mozambique or ZA! That would give you something to write in your journal!

Just a thought.

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm making plans too until I hear something from those on the ground that says don't come. The people I know are very cautious and very good at what they do. That's why no one is canceling with them and some Tanz. clients are rebooking with them in Zim.

Agreed with David, there's something about the people who live there that grabs a piece of my heart. So, I'll go back...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I returned from 8 days in Zim yesterday. I flew to Bulawayo and was driven to Gokwe North (Campfire Area). I saw no security problems. Three roadblocks encountered but none made us stop.

Evidence of poaching and one poacher was captured near our camp while I was there.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a very close friend who is an Outfitter/PH in Zim and I email them on a regular basis usually a couple of times a week. His family live in Bulawayo. They are of course having problems and his wife says the stores are truly bare, but they manage. The biggest problem they have in Bulawayo is the cuts in electricity which makes everything inconvenient and communications slightly irregular. His hunting area is primarily in the Matetsi and he has not missed a hunt this season. He also has tribal lands in the Turk Mine area and hasn't missed a hunt there either. His wife was going to stand in line last time she emailed me (Thursday I think) for bread. That has been the norm in Bulawayo for the last 4 years I personally know of. Except for the moratorium on Lions in Matabeleland I would in all probability be preparing to go ( I would probably have to sell a few guns but COULD make it happen for a LION) as my normal practice has been to spend August and September there. As I say they are terribly inconvenienced and it is costly because of the shortages but life and hunting go on. At no time have they discouraged me from coming. They are both positive and will remain so I am sure. I would not hesitate to go because of the situation there. I would expect to not have conditions as nice as I have had in the past. The last time I was there ,2 years ago , there was very little bread or baked goods, not much soda pop and selection in the markets was limited but in the last 10 years I have been going there I have never at any time had fear for my life. At least not from man, cannot say as much for beast. Had I the readily available funds I would again be there now.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living conditions are a little strained at times but not dangerous. Trying to run and keep a safari camp stocked is an interesting job! with periodic shortages of everything from beer to Tomato Juice. Government had a monopoly on the importation of fuel for 32 years, which they gave up only two years ago - they will give up again (this is a political matter of teaching the black elite where their loyalty must lie. Too many have been making money and forgetting to to give due thanks to the president who issued the special fuel import permits).

I could move the staff and production of the African Hunter magazine to Windhoek tomorrow if necessary, but it isn't- so We are staying in Harare

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 5248, sorry about the problem with Wayne. If you like and I have the opportunity I can try and chase him up and ask about your deposit. I don't know why there would be a problem with a PG hunt? There are plenty of places (safe) to do the hunt.

Regards,

RON OLIVER
830-336--3345
234 W. Bandera Rd 310
Boerne, TX 78006
www.Africahs@aol.com
www.Africahs.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Africa Wild Media, I indeed know Allan, 7 years now. Was just with him in July. A very good PH. I book 95% of the hunters into Cawston Ranch where Allen is the chief PH and can say we only had one cancellation this year and that was for business reason. Not security. I have notice that most negative comments about the security in Zim are from those who have NOT been there. All the positive comments are from those who have actually been to Zim and can speak with first hand experiance. I have 4 clients hunting in the Save now and 13 more clients going to Cawston, Matetsi and the Lowfeld for this year. Including two TV shows that will be filming our hunts. What security problem? I'll be leaving for Zim next week for a few months and will say hello to Allan. While I am over there I'll be reporting back on the situation in the country.

Regards,

RON OLIVER
830-336--3345
234 W. Bandera Rd 310
Boerne, TX 78006
www.Africahs@aol.com
www.Africahs.com

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill 5248:
It is always good to hear from hunters with recent experience in Zim. I have a ticket to Zim late in August. My outfitter there (Wayne Jardine, Zimafrica Safaris south of Bulawayo) tells me to cancel my ticket and not to come. He says there are shortages such that he can no longer provide the usual accommodations to hunters. He says that the situation is too fluid, too unstable to predict from day to day.

I then checked with contacts in South Africa who say that Zim is in "meltdown." They say that there is danger there which can be avoided if alternative destinations are possible.

I guess what this all means is that everyone expects further deterioration, but no-one knows how fast the deterioration will happen. The government's desperation and the population's resentment appears to be escalating at this time. Thanks. Bill
I am headed to Zim in early Sept. with ZimAfrica and Wayne Jardine I have talked with Wayne via e-mail and everything is a go. I have also talked to a client that came out of Zim 10 days ago he hunted Buffalo, Lion and Leopard with success on all three and some PG .He did say that it was difficult getting the necessary supplies but not impossible.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote