Tools

African Crisis
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is estimated, that in less than a month Mugabe has destroyed 25% of the economy through this action.

With an official unemployment rate of 70% (and a real unemploymenr rate that is probably even higher), that makes it sound like things have pretty much ground to a halt.

If the private land could be put back into the hands of people with both capital and knowhow, and the rule of law restored, Zim could recover relatively quickly.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's sad and infuriating what people do to people. I'll admit somthing here. Some of you will think I'm an animal. Some others MIGHT agree with me. I'm all for industrialized nations helping to rebuild after disasters. Also for helping to locate water and even help in agriculture. That's where I feel it should end. Giving money, as seen in the artical has no effect. Most of it goes to corupt officials, or managers. The money that does go to the people only helps them understand the rest of the world is there to give handouts. I feel that people should stick together, and form strength in numbers without fear of persicution. Than those people should learn the basics of providing for themselves. As the saying here goes, give a man a fish and he's no longer hungry for the day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll never go hungry again. Once the foundations for cultivating the land are in place, with help if need be, it's a good start. Raising livestock, harvesting roaming game and fishing will feed the hungry. Building homes off the land will provide shelter. Later, industrialization will come. It's happened like that on every corner of the globe. Instead of humanitarians giving into the easy ways of helping, which have proved don't work. They must realize the slow and painful way of helping these people is the only way to do any good in the long run. I'm aware of the AIDS epidemic. As well as other disease that runs rampant. But I belive with better hygine, clean water, (again, with some help) and proper food to build better immune systems, these are the only ways to truely help those which others are deeming unhelpable. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my venting, but I had to say it. God bless them all.

Angering society one University student at a time.

Posts: 114 | Location: Lethbridge, Alberta. | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
This will get WORSE. What are all these displaced people going to eat, drink, sleep etc.
I think Hell may be tuely comming to Zim. I spent alot of time in poor places. Not hunting and starving people is an ugly thing. Ugly

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This kind of shit just makes me cry. You (gov. entity) just shovel billions now closer to trillions into a big black mawl with no end in sight. Where'd it go, into Swiss Bank Accounts.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The even bigger kicker is that SA doesn't complain. Gee, I wonder what that means for the future of SA? Frowner

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mugabe's intent is to PUNISH the people for the election that he KNEW he lost and lost big. His strategy is to drive the whites out ( about 10K left but those are HARD CORE and will not leave) drive the blacks back into the bush and away from the cities and live high on the hog of the platinum/gold.chrome revenues until he dies. He has nothing to lose. I had a chance to drive around Bulawayo with my PH, John Sharp. HUGE fuel lines, but the city seemed to be operating and we had no problems eating at the various places with no problems. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the official stats but after some good dialog with several folks around the country, here's what I heard:

Unemployment hovering at around 90%

Inflation out of control.

20-25K whites still remain as residents.

Chinese investors pouring into country.

New Airport built by Koffi Annon's son!!!

Non existant fuel supplies.

Major government bank cash shortages.

That withstanding, not once did I or my group feel one bit threatened in any way by either the population / government-police.

I was alot more concerned for my well being during my trips to Bolivia - and even that really a non-issue.

Statistically you are far more risk by going to a major US city than you'd be in Zimbabwe!

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think ole bad Bob is trying to lower inflation and unemployment by reducing the number of people.

Not sure what the Chinese are doing with respect to investment. Doesnt appear any other major power has much interest. You would think SA would look for support to keep it from spilling over, which it will.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chinese are there for minerals.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RED China has been filling a power vacuum that was left by all the Colonial powers. In the end, they'll reap big profits because they are helping these guys with Materiel(Arms/Ammunition) and manpower. Labor is cheap in China, just send a few hundred thou over to another country and they won't be missed.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chinese merchants in Zambia and elsewhere are the buyers of poached ivory, rhino horn, exotic skins, gorilla parts, stolen gold, diamonds etc. from Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya. The pawnbrokers of sub saharan Africa.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase waht was stated previously; the Chinese are there because we are not. Sad but true.

The reality is that hunting will without a doubt suffer given their proclivity for exotic animal parts - ill gotten at that.

Better book your safaris to the countries affected by this "look east" policy soon! For in this case there ain't no level playing field!

JW