Notify
Tools

What To Do With a Porcupine?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

Just curious what you can do with a porcupine apart from mounting it. is it possible to get the quills made into anything?

thanks FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Over here in the USA the Indians take the quils and boil them to make them more flexible and then weave them into baskets. I imagine that an African porcupine would be great becaus it is bigger and has longer quills.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What to do with a Porcupine? bewildered

First you shoot it. The second step is somehow complicated. You take app. 500 gr of TNT plastic explosives and press it into the porcupine. Then place the porcupine at a waterhole around eight in the morning and wait for about one hour until sand-grouse, doves and fowls are all down at the waterhole.

Third step (very easy and big fun)...detonate the porcupine.

Fourth step. collect all the dead birds around the water..they'll each have a pin stuck in them. (works better than a punt-gun!) thumb

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
FB, Here in the States we have a fish called Crappie (in the South we pronounce it Crop-pee). They are classed as a "panfish" but congregate in large schools in the spring (right now) and are some of the finest eating that swims. In past times, African Porcupine quills were used as fishing floats. They were extremely popular with experienced Crappie fishermen/women. A small eyelet was wrapped on one end with fishing rod thread (the type used to attach guides to the fishing rod). These quill floats would lie on top of the water and the finicky Crappie would only have to breathe on the minnow and the "float" would move. There is almost no resistance to a quill float, and as soon as the Crappie started off with the minnow, the quill would "tip up" and you only have to raise your rod tip to set the hook. No longer available for purchase, try a few and see what I mean. I suspect they would be the ticket for Trout fishing as well. Other than that, I would have the skin made into a hat. If anyone messed with you just lower your head and butt them jumping

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from experience that you do not want to make a loincloth out of one. Sure, they look nice, but they are totally impractical.

Learn from my mistakes and you will go far ...

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I can tell you from experience that you do not want to make a loincloth out of one. Sure, they look nice, but they are totally impractical.

Learn from my mistakes and you will go far ...

clap animal animal animal animalanimal animal clap

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some pretty cool lamps with porcupine quill shades on them. Look great in a gameroom.

Posts: 168 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
We chased one in a riverbed one time until he was so worn out he just curled up into a bristling ball. That night when we were telling stories back on camp, Ian Gibson was pissed that I didn't shoot it. Sh said, "I LOVE porkies! I haven't eaten any in a couple years. if you see that thing again tomorrow, take him. I'll have boys cook him up right!"

I don't know if they were pulling my leg or not, but "apparently" they are good to eat.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to mount it be veeery careful while mounting! Big Grin

On a more serious note: My wife uses quills for making jewellery of different kinds, they make really cool earrings etc.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Porcupine quills are said to bring luck. I would mount them in a frame.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have two of my painted elephant ears fully mounted in frames and I have fans of porcupine quills, along with other items, mounted in the frames along with the ears. The uses are endless in decorating. You can even put a few on the bases of any full body antelope or other mounts that you have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kamaatu:
What to do with a Porcupine? bewildered

First you shoot it. The second step is somehow complicated. You take app. 500 gr of TNT plastic explosives and press it into the porcupine. Then place the porcupine at a waterhole around eight in the morning and wait for about one hour until sand-grouse, doves and fowls are all down at the waterhole.

Third step (very easy and big fun)...detonate the porcupine.

Fourth step. collect all the dead birds around the water..they'll each have a pin stuck in them. (works better than a punt-gun!) thumb

Bloody classic! Big Grin Big Grin thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked a bit in XIP Alaska and saw two guys flailing something with sweatshirts in a ditch. Turned out to be porcupine. They were collecting quills. I still have a few they gave me. Porcupine walked away allright.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
N'gagi

Apparently they are fine tasting. I have never tasted them before but the old farmers used to catch them in their veggie patch by making a wire funnel into the veggie patch without an exit as soon as the porcupine would see there is no exit he would back up and then get stuck with his quills in the wire fence.

The muscle that can move the quills up and down is what they are after and they say it makes a very nice snitchzel if I'm spelling it correctly.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You could re-invent yourself as a sort of superhero: Porkyman! Your mission? To rid the universe of all balloons, naturally. It could happen... Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I mentioned earlier. My framed painted African elephant ears with African porcupine quills and other African items as part of the framed ears.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FB... I Would strongly advise you NOT to try to mount any porcupine!
( Sorry...I just had to Big Grin, same as when we are talking about beavers Razzer )

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Here is what I mentioned earlier. My framed painted African elephant ears with African porcupine quills and other African items as part of the framed ears.

Those look great!! I never even thought about framing them. I've always just seen them tacked up on the wall, but I like the framing idea a LOT more! Thanks for the pics.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those were framed by Michael's. We waited until they had one of their specials for 50% off and then we had both of them framed for the price of one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What to do with porcupines? Hell, you eat them! My mother had a recipe which put the hindquarters of her vegetqable garden raiders in a pickle for 24hrs, then roasted with lemon and honey basting. You'd have to go a long way to find tastier food!

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I agree, they are very tasty and very tender. They work very well on a spit braai.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
The skin area at the back on a braai(bbq) until crisp is great.

The rest in a potjie is even better.

The ladies here make some intresting ornaments and jewlery

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Eat them they are great!

Build a massive fire on the ground, once the soil is hot dig a hole big enough to fit the rodent into with about 20cm on the top spare to cover with soil.

Take out his guts but leave everything else on, head, quills etc. Wash well under running water. Baste with marinade of your choice. Put a thick +-7cm layer of firm mud around the porcupine. Put the mud ball in the hole, close it up with the hot sand, now cool sand, and rebuild your fire on top. Keep the fire going for at least 15 hours depending on the size of the porkie. Your fire should be fairly hot.

After your 15 hours, if you are still sober, dig up the mud ball, break the mud off, which will take most of the quills with it get all the sand off you don’t want the meat crunchy, however the mud normally breaks off in big pieces with out leaving any residue - and let me know if you ever tasted anything better Big Grin

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
What to do with a porcupine?

First o kill it, then you carefully skin it, making sure you don’t remove the quills.
Second step is to have the skin tanned, once again making sure the quills are kept in place.
Third step: have some nice gloves made out of the tanned skin.
Finally you can offer the gloves to someone you know as having a serious masturbation problem.

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote