Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe hunt info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Okay, I'm do a non-trophy (some might say cull) hunt in Namibia in Sept for a few days for primarily gemsbok and a kudu. While at this concession/ranch I'll have a chance at a giraffe, which I am thinking I would like to do. My choice is either a male or female giraffe and basically what I plan on keeping from a giraffe would be the boiled/cleaned skull and some of the tanned hide for either a floor throw or maybe have some sofa pillows made. In keeping with the non-trophy theme of this hunt, the female will cost me less in fee(s), so do you all think thats a good idea, or is the true measure of the giraffe hunt in that it has to be a male to have been a worthy animal to take. Is there a big difference in the "horns" on the male versus female, especially if all I'm keeping is a cleaned skull, and what about hide coloration (darker, lighter,etc) and patterning?

Is a .338 Win Mag a good caliber for this big critter as its the heaviest rifle I'm taking on this trip?

Any pics out there or other "trophy part ideas?
TIA,

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
If you aren't mounting it, shoot an old female.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a female if that's what is cheaper. Either sex is bigger than the space you have to display it.

The giraffe is among the most difficult animals to down, or so I am told by the folks who hosted my hunt on their Namibian farm, as I have no first hand experience. The heart is so large that a single shot will typically not fully interrupt its function. My hosts told me thay had seen giraffe hearts take a half-dozen solid shots before the animal finally lost its footing.

Your .338 using any reliable 250 grain soft point is probably as good as any caliber for this beast.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Willi,

I think I would shoot the biggest bull I could find. If I was using a 338 I think I would not shoot anything but solids. My taxidermist shot a big bull a couple of years ago with a 338 using the a 225 or 250 NAB. He had a broadside shot and the bullet only made it to one lung. That was the start of a huge goat rope that lasted most of the day and took 14 shots to sort out. A client shot a bull last year with a 375 and solids. The giraffe took three hits but only went about 200 yards. A giraffe is not the most wary animal but they are huge and tough as nails if wounded.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
It's interesting also when you look at the giraffe in 'The Perfect Shot' book how far forward the heart is.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they edible?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It makes me wonder if the neck-spinal or shoulder-spinal shot isn't the better way to go on Giraffe?

I am sure that there would be a lot less margin for error on these shots but I distinctly remember Kevin Robertson pointing these placement locations out in "The Perfect Shot".

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
"Are they edible"
Rich, I had some in Zim and it was delicious. First try was ground Giraffe (like sausage) lightly seasoned and rolled in flour and deep fried. Patties were about the size of our morning sausage. It was fabulous. We ate 4 big bowls of it. Second dish was Giraffe tail. Just like Ox tail. Although I didn't care for the gelatinous sheathing, the meat was excellent.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
I have taken two giraffe for lion bait while on safari in Zimbabwe. One was taken with a .458 win Mag and the other with a .416 Rigby. Neither of these animals went down quickly even though both had good bullet placement at reasonably close range. Both had to be tracked some distance and required follow up shots. With the hide being over an inch thick most PH's will tell you that giraffe is one of the toughest animals to take down quickly. I personally have taken a .338 to Africa but from personal experience would use a larger caliber when taking a giraffe.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
The problem with Giraffe is getting enough penetration as the skin on the shoulder is about 1 and 1/2 inches thick and the ribs wide as you can see from these pictures

skin over the shoulder

front leg

Ribs

Try for the top half of the heart / aorta as it will go down quicker, the top half carries more blood than the bottom half of the heart.
The heart is actually a little bit higher than what they show in the Perfect shot book and be prepared to put in a couple of shots.

Male skulls and horns are more impressive than a cow, the male have thicker horns and that roman type lump on the bridge of the nose, body wise the male is also much bigger than the female.

For eating go for the female as old males are not called stink bulls for nothing.

The only taxidermist in Namibia who does their own tanning on Giraffe skins is Reiser Taxidermy.
It is best to deliver the skin wet, salted and cut on the inside. It is not cheap as they have to shave the skin if you want to get it soft enough for something like pillows. Some nice ideas I've seen is lamp stands of the legs and tail fly whips

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot em both!! Its a whole lotta fun.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bisonhunter1;

My husband shot a giraffe last year in RSA with Infinito Safaris. He made an excellent heart shot with his .416 using a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft. He shot it at about 75 yards, caught the top of the heart and the bull didn't got 20 feet.

It was a bull. The meat was taken immediately (maybe the Charl or Frederik could comment as to where it went). We plan to do a shoulder mount which sits on the floor.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 6 or 7. It can be very challenging hunt in the right place. I have personally followed them all day more than once without getting a shot. I have also had a few that were not hard.

Shoot them with a big gun. They are tough. They have thick skin and big bones. Do yourself a favor and study their anatomy. It is real easy to shoot too low. These buggers can go a long way.

I shot all of mine with a 416 Remington magnum with 400 grain Swift A frames.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Mine soaked up eight 300 grain Northfork softs out of my .375. If I was going to shoot another one, I'd go for a neck/head shot. Their vertibrates are bigger in diameter than a beer can, so it's not a hard target to hit. The difference between a female and an old male is going to be the color. The old bulls get really black when they get old.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot two. The first one was in the shoulder with a solid. The second time I shot one, the PH suggested a frontal shot in the chest. Both shots were with a 375, and put them down where they stood.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Good luck bisonhunter1, I'll be doing the same on a friends farm in SA this Sept. I'm taking a 404. Should be fun!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, could that be one of the "new fangled" Mauser M03 rifles???

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot two, last July, for lion bait. Swore I'd never shoot one. When it comes to bait its 5 Zebra or one giraffe. Glad I hunted them.....toughest animal to kill, even with well placed .375 solids and Nosler's.I kept one backskin. Incredible to see one winched into a land cruise post a bit of leg trimming. Lions love the meat. Shoot the one you like......and don't stop shooting. Their graceful lope can cover ground. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied so far. Sounds like a bigger gun/cal. would be better, however I've been practicing with my .338 since Jan. approx 20-40 rounds per week (and NOT bench shooting other than initial scope sight check), and if I do this this, I'll be using 250 gr. premium bullets in it. Also already have the pre approved paperwork process started for my .338 and while I'm sure not impossible to switch to another heavier gun, at this point I'd rather not.

Some good pictures too of what I'll be up against, but no firm decision on what will get shot yet at this point.

Thanks

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot one big ol black bull back in '06.. He took 3 rounds with a .300 RUM (200gr Swift bullets) put into the boiler room. He went about a hundred yards or so.

I may shoot another this Oct in Zim if I wrap up my primary animals first.. If I end up hunting one, I'm going to try and take him with the 470NE. Could be fun!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a .338 and softs i doubt your PH will let you go for anything other than a head(brain) shot no matter how good a shot you are.

Fact of the matter is that a .338 with an expanding bullet of any type is not going to produce a quick clean kill on a giraffe -not a reflection on you but rather on the equipment you have chosen being unsuitable for the job.

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Beware placement - the vitals are way further forward than pretty much everything else.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manyathelo:
With a .338 and softs i doubt your PH will let you go for anything other than a head(brain) shot no matter how good a shot you are.

Fact of the matter is that a .338 with an expanding bullet of any type is not going to produce a quick clean kill on a giraffe -not a reflection on you but rather on the equipment you have chosen being unsuitable for the job.

Absolutely right. tu2

Even if you borrow a more suitable rifle a head shot is an excellent choice.

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
You must keep the legbones for carving the look great when carved !!

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Are they edible?

Rich
DRSS
Tastes a bit like camel!!!! Roll Eyes

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Are they edible?

Rich
DRSS
Tastes a bit like camel!!!! Roll Eyes

Hmm. I always thought it would taste part camel, part leopard. Wink

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shot 4 giraffe with our bows on our last trip, all very old stink bulls. Mine made a beautiful rug,, rather large as well. You better do some research on where the heart actually is as well, it is not where it would be on a normal north american animal. "eyedoc" here on AR has shot a good number of them and thus is real familiar with their vital location and I did a video on his last bull,, the arrow placement was perfect and he fell within video range. I made a way less than perfect shot and it took a great deal of tracking. As far as edible,,, pick something other than a real old bull to eat,, the locals ate mine but it had a huge funk factor to it.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough and thick-skinned, indeed!

I shot mine with the PH's .416 Rem Mag using 400grs Swift A-Frames - the bullet was dug out from the offside shoulder.

Certainly, I was in your shoes, I'd consider borrowing a big gun or go solids only, Willi. Penetration is vital (pun intended).

As to which one to shoot - the bull is such a magnificent animal I could not resist shooting the bull if I had the choice!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess i get to be the odd man out here. i shot my giraffe in namibia with a .300 win mag using PMC ammo with 180 grain barnes xlc bullets. i aimed in front of the shoulder and about 4 inches behind the front of the keel. he ran about 30-40 yards and expired. the shot took out the right upper heart. i never did find the bullet. the animal was processed for eating but i did not have any at the time so i cannot comment on taste. perhaps i was lucky but the PH had no problems with my use of a .300 mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willi: You have a PM