THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Costs of Taxidermy and shipping RSA-USA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costs of Taxidermy and shipping RSA-USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Our trophies have finally arrived from our Spring 2003 hunt in the Eastern Cape, RSA. They were completed by Taxidermy Africa, in Humansdorp, in November [ 8 months as promised ] and we could not be happier with the results. The taxidermy looks every bit as good as that I had done previously in Texas. Taxidermy Africa were a pleasure to do business with and seemed to go out of their way to respond to our requests. [They even included some Africa trinkets with the shipment as a thank you.]

[We delayed the shipment to avoid the holiday period and then decided to try the Ocean shipping scheme provided by Safari Air Cargo and Fauna & Flora which obviously is a bit slower than Air freight. More on that later.]

The Taxidermy Africa prices compared to the 2002-03 price list of my Texas taxidermist.

Kudu-----------------------$669 vs $993
Blesbok--------------------$369 vs $636
Red Hartebeest-------------$502 vs $783
Impala---------------------$369 vs $578
Blue Wildebeest------------$626 vs $798
Springbok [3]--------------$900 vs $1656
Hyrax [Full]---------------$256 vs $436 [est. as a rabbit]
Black Wildebeest Flat skin-$113 vs $866 [est.based on other rugs]

Totals----------------RSA=$3,804 vs $6,746-USA

My shipment from the Eastern Cape in 2001 of raw trophies to Houston [ a somewhat smaller shipment- 7 trophies] was $808.80 and finished trophy shipment from Houston to Tampa was $458.67 = $1266.67 Door to door Outfitter to Tampa.

The 2004 Ocean Shipping through Safari Air Cargo/Fauna & Flora from Taxidermist to Tampa was $1,457.21 Door to Door. [The Air Cargo quotes were $2,293.37 Door to door.]

So, the totals are $5,261 [Taxidermy Africa/S.A.C/S./Fauna&Flora] versus $8,012 [Air to Houston, Taxidermy,truck to Tampa]. About $2,750 cheaper [enough to pay for two "low season" tickets back to RSA!]

The Safari Air Cargo people were all extremely helpful, even after endless questions and worry from me! The Fauna & Flora people were very enthusiastic, cooperative and efficient. The principal, John Meehan, seems to really have his stuff together and wants to make this program work. [ He jumped all over the local delivery service who were missing appointments and attempting to collect extra for the included lift gate truck delivery - they became VERY cooperative!]

I'd be pleased to use these services again, I actually look forward to it.

This was our experience. Others may vary. But we are pleased with the results.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Les,

I also had used Fauna and Flora...With my first trip and was worried about the animals and skins...John I personally spoke to told me all will in be order and he was a man of his word...The shipment came thru without a hitch...
I also spoke to John at an SCI banquet in Allentown, Pa.
Sending my father in law back to Gulfport today...Was 33 degrees this morning...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to see what the air fare would have been. Mine was about 1100 US from Jo'Burg to Atlanta. I think you made a wise choice and aved quite bit of money. I had my work done with Kwiktan in about 10 months for about the same cost savings. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHowell, I also used Taxidermy Africa for my 02 trophys and they did a great job and saved me a bit over $2,000 in taxidermy fees. It cost me $1,850 to get my mounts (9 shoulder mounts ) air shipped back to Seattle WA. Roland got me a good deal on the shipping and hooked me up with a woman in Seattle that cleared my shipement for $140. I would use them again

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can a few that have had animals mounted in any of the various African countries, post pictures? Just curious, since I have yet to see any that were of the quality I get here in the states, or at least of the quality I get from my guy. Granted not all taxidermists over here are that good, the good ones are in the minority, but like I said, I have not seen any come from any African taxidermist that I would be interested in putting on the wall. I should qualify that, I did see a pedestal Buff mount in Grahm Jone's house that was outstanding.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Les,

Ironic you posted this since I just received an email this morning from the freight company that is handling my shipment of stuff into Houston. I was very pleased to hear the costs will only be $700 because after reading some of the horror stories here, I expected the shipping to be much more.

The shipment includes the items below, which were done by Derek Robinson Taxidermy in RSA at a cost of $1,715. That total is for everything, including all the necessary permits. -TONY

FINISHED
Zebra full skin w/Black felt backing
Gemsbok back skin - tan
Springbok full skin w/Black felt backing
Black Wildebeest tail swish
Warthog shoulder mount

RAW PREP
Gemsbok skull & cape
Springbok skull & cape
Black Wildebeest skull & cape
Impala skull & cape
Blesbok skull & cape
Kudu skull & cape
Nyala skull & cape
Springbok skull
Blue Wildebeest skull & cape
Bushbuck skull & cape

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

We have been working with the airlines and shipping companies, via various export agents, to get competetive rates for the shipping of trophies back the the US. We understand that the shipping is the "extra" charge you are faced with when having trophies mounted in South Africa.

There are too many horror stories of trophies mounted in South Africa. Unfortunately, all taxidermists are then labelled as the same. As with in America, you have good taxidermist and you have guys who are trying to make a quick buck. I suggest you look at the experience of the taxidermist and how many years the taxidermy studio has been in operation. If the studio you choose offers you a great price but they have only been in business a couple of years, get a list of references first before leaving your valuable trophies with them.

You may pay an extra few dollars to have your trophies mounted by the bigger taxidermist in South Africa, still cheaper than the USA, but then again, you can't buy a Ferrari for US$ 1.00!!

Thank you Mr Howell for the compliments about our quality and service. We aim to please.

Regards,
Roland

Posts: 4 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote