Notify
Tools

Dallas Safari Club Cheap Rooms
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Folks:

I've discussed this with Retreever (who was trying to get cheap rates at the Marriott) and he told me to go ahead and post this. Since it is so far ahead, we can change stuff if necessary.

Last year at the Marriott Suites, we got a party room and, if I remember, had a great time! Only problem was that the Marriott has a liquor license and there is legal problem with us providing our own refreshments (and they want a "pouring" fee). We almost got cancelled at the last minute, but some fast talking by the principles (I think it was the guys from Jackson Hole) got us permission. Secondly, it seems that the discounts are gone for rooms according to Rich Elliot and others and they now cost about $160???

So... Assuming that we'll want to have at least one get together like the past, I booked a party room that will allow us to b.y.o.b at the Comfort Inn and Suites at 7138 N. Stemmons Pky for a cheap $125 for Saturday night, 5:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. I also reserved (in my name) ten rooms for Friday and Saturday at the rate of $62 plus tax (a savings of almost $100 @ night), for those who might want to stay there.

The Comfort Inn is NOT within walking distance (nor really was the Marriott, unless you wanted exercise), but I'll have a van and a cab is only $6.00. The Comfort Inn is about 3.5 miles right on the same road as the Market Center.

So... if you want a cheap room where the party will be (or may be, according to popular demand Razzer Razzer ) then just call 1-214-461-2677 and get them to retrieve the group reservation for Accurate Reloading in the name of Ernest Gilbert... and tailor it to your needs, of course (and use your own damn credit card!)

I imagine that every morning and afternoon we can share a cab, my car or whatever with a little planning.

Now, if that's satisfactory (and I'm subject to objections), who is going to do the "dining-out" thing that was so fun last year on Friday? I really liked that up-scale Mexican place, but not the hour tour of Dallas slums getting there! I thought we were going to need Tony and his S.W.A.T. squad to get us out of the combat zone.

As in the past, I'll visit a local store and get party supplies and the basic liquor/cokes/beer/wine. We'll have a hat available so you can pay your part, if you wish, of the room expense and the hooch. Of course, please bring special stuff like sausage, single-malt Scotch, 20 year-old bourbon, etc.

Nothing like planning in advance.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I made it to the DSC show this year on Saturday but missed the AR get together. Count me in on the dinner and social hour for this coming show though.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used one of your rooms Judge and also booked the 11th at the same rate. For those flying in the Comfort doesn't have a shuttle service so it is cab from the airport to them.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The Comfort Inn is only a few miles (4?) from Love Field, if you have a choice of airports from your city.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Good planning. The current rate at the Marriott is $249. plus tax. I secured a room at the Renaissance for $152. I may move down to the low rent district though. It's really nice just walking over to the show though.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well the Marriot never got back to me today..

So, I made my reservation to the Comfort Inn one less room on the Ernest's room block...

Hey Elliot come on down and stay with us...

Mike
19 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge! I just booked mine.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had a last-minute conflict this year so didn't get down to Dallas. The Pikes Peak Center on Deafness just closed its doors permanently, so I've decided its a good time to retire (did that from the Air Force, now this, but will still teach as an adjunct professor). Time on my hands, a great thirst for elderly scotch and bourbon, and no female ties at this time. Guess I might as well meet everyone! Count me in.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the dates for DSC next year??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jan. 11thru 14th

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've gotten P.M.'s from several folks who have gone ahead and gotten rooms at the Comfort Inn. There are many more than 10 available in my name and Habeeb, the fellow who handles the reservations for the motel, is a champ. He's indicated he can handle the whole bunch of us. You can cancel up to the day prior, so, IMHO, why not make a reservation, now, even if you are not sure about making the convention.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna stay where we can go back and forth to the show at will Friday and Saturday (Renaissance) but I'll bet I can find you guys Wink

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Habeeb took care of the boss and I.

Rich, we will send GeorgeS to pick you up!!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
Habeeb took care of the boss and I.

Rich, we will send GeorgeS to pick you up!!!

Dulcinea

Wise-ass! Mad Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll take my chances with an Ethiopian Cab driver! Wink But thanks, anyway, George.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got my room reservation at the Comfort. Habeeb was really helpful. Thanks, Look forward to meeting you guys.

Hartley Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Just made my reservation for fri and sat night, so I'll see you there...

BTW... Judge.. they said your credit card just maxed out, good thing I got in when I did rotflmo

Al

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made my reservations.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked my room a while back as well and you are right, they know how to take care of clients very efficiently. I have never booked so easily.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich
Just be sure you do not tell the Ethiopian cab driver you know PWN 375's brother. Eeker
His picture is in EVERY cab in Dallas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Rich
Just be sure you do not tell the Ethiopian cab driver you know PWN 375's brother. Eeker
His picture is in EVERY cab in Dallas.

As "persona non grata" or "honorary" member? Confused

RIch Elliott

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Persona non Grata... for sure. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Retreever is hunting pretty hard right now for a lion. I'll bet, however, that no matter if he succeeds or not, he'll say that the hunt for that up-scale Mex restaurant at which we ate at on Friday last year was more difficult and dangerous. Our driver wasn't from Ethiopia. He was from Dante's Inferno. We passed Robert DeNitro and Jodie Foster a couple of times, ran over three street vendors, had seven IED's blow up near us and discovered the lost tribes of Israel.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ernest, et, al: We have already made reservations at the Reinassance, but count us in for the cocktail party! jorge & Dawna

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many do we have at the comfort inn now? I was talking with a lady at the DSC regarding membership and ask about the Cattlemans restaurant in Fort Worth and was assured it was still one of the very best steak houses in the area. Would anyone be interested in getting a group togeather for the off night and reserving a room there for dinner. She said she would help us get transportation to and from via a van or vans. Anyone interested? If we are going to do this we should make the arrangements early.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy Mackeral! Me and Jorge are gonna be in the same hotel!
EekerRich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rich: why, are you on my "list"? Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
That is an everyday drive around Dallas, certain parts of it anyway. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Well, I guess that depends on which list you're talking about...hope it's the good un! cheers
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If it involves "adult beverages" it's the "good-un" Smiler. Wish I could make it to Reno and really clean out my "other list" though! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to meeting the group.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Oh come now Tony. He wasn't an Ethiopian, he was Somali (I have no opinion if that is better of worse, it just is). And you should have let me finish my calm, monotone conversation with him and jack-slap him like the punk he was for trying to overcharge our fine bunch of charming, slightly inebriated gentlemen and lovely lasses. Hell if we'd paid his outragously increased fees how were Pierre, Judge, and I suppose to buy drinks at the bar?

one of us
posted Hide Post
BWN300

He was a SOMALI!!! Eeker
You might want to move to Canada....
Ever see Black Hawk Down?
mgun
Are you comming to DSC this Jan?
If so, let me know, I will start working on your "Diplomatic Immunity Papers".

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,
You can count me in for Saturday night! I fly in at around noon on Saturday.

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Tony,

Yes I have seen Blackhawk down, however, my rules of engagement are a little looser than the Army's.
salute

I do not know yet. Shot Show is the same time down in Orlando. It is going to be a toss-up. I might have to go to Shot Thursday and Friday, fly into Dallas for Saturday and Sunday. No papers needed. I learned form Ganyana how to duck, dodge, and manuever around behind enemy lines.

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

What do you know about Legendary Safaris LTD, based in Jackson Hole? wHO ARE THEY? Who says I do not want to shoot an ele. Just one to shoot a another buffalo first.

What are you guiding for this fall. Let me know when you returen and how you did.

I think i Am going to meet Sherry Bishops new boy friend this weekend.

Will talk with you later.,

Hartley

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WARNING..

THIS THREAD IS FROM 2006!!!!

homer

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thans i realized this after by post.. sbt send me the wrong thread

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I was in, hook line and sinker.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Here is this years link to the Dallas safari convention...

Mike

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/594106109/p/1