New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff vs Eland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I start to put together a safari to Zim I'm having trouble justifying the extra cost for dangerous game.
I'm considering buffalo and plains game as opposed to eland along with assorted pg.
With daily rates and trophy fees about double for buffalo, do you vets of safaris think its worth the extra expense? Although a buff would be nice I'm leaning toward a trophy eland which I would be really happy with.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only hunted eland once and it was awesome. I'd love to do it again.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hunting eland is a tracking hunt and a lot of fun. Besides that eland are probably the best eating there is in Africa. That said, hunting buffalo is a whole different experience. Hunting something that is capable of hunting back is an incredible experience. I would save and go for the buffalo hunt.

Mike

Posts: 21670 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, Buffalo is the epitome of African hunting.

I think the element of potential trouble if you screw up is part of the spice, if you will, although certainly, its not that dangerous, and admittedly if you are in DG country, the risk of surprise attack by a wounded by snare or other injured animal is the same hunting PG as Buffalo.

Mechanically, an Eland hunt is very similar to a buff hunt in that you cut sign, then track and determine if its an acceptable trophy, then make the shot. If you don't have any preference to what kind of trophy it is, and you are not interested in a dangerous game hunt (being from Canada, I assume you may have hunted a big bear at some point, so you may well have hunted DG and it "does nothing" for you,) and you don't really care what anyone else thinks for a trophy (a Buffalo is a more impressive head on the wall than an Eland; and most folks recognize a buffalo but not an Eland-) then the Eland hunt would definitely be a better choice for you.

Posts: 10971 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

+1

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

+1

tu2

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have killed ONE Buffalo but I have killed TWO Eland. Buffalo would be the last game i would ever hunt again were I to be given the chance to hunt once more. I would hunt Eland in a New York minute. I am enthralled by the spiral horned antelope and without exception the Eland is the supreme member of this group. Any animal of thet size that can walk up to a 6 ft fence and just jump it without any forward motion is something special to me. I haven't shot any record ones but I did get a nice old Blue Bull. I just have never gotten the urge to hunt Buffalo. I shot one to say I had killed a Cape Buffalo cause that's what all the books and articles say you have to do,but once was definitely enough and I would far rather shoot Plains game any day. It's your money and you should spend it as YOU choose not on what someone reccommends you shoot.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think you will have a great hunt with either but Buffalo hunting is what really does it for me. That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself but with very few exceptions, I think most who have hunted both will tell you that Buffalo bring them back again and again to Africa. Can't say I've ever heard anyone say that Eland bring them back multiple times. They may hunt Eland more than once, but it isn't the reason for going back!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys. I had an idea that the die-hard buffalo guys would respond. Part of me really wants a buff. Maybe its because of all the buff hunts on TV and video, lots of exposure so to speak. Not a lot of eland hunts on the tube. Mainly I just would want the experience of being in Africa
. Would I get that with an eland/Plains game hunt? I think so, at half the cost. I would also add that I'm planning a 2 to 3 week photo tour before hunting. This added cost may be a buffalo hunt killer. I have to keep the wife happy. I'll have to see how our financial situation is.

Mike, this summer we toured and hunted Namibia and had the opportunity to have eland steaks for supper one night. Probably the best cut of meat we have ever tasted! Almost worth going back for!

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option if you're not hung up on the trophy aspects or looking to hang something on the wall would be to consider a cow buff hunt. All the thrills and potential danger of buffalo hunting at a reduced cost

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is your hunt so do what will please you the most and don't worry about what others would do. If an eland/pg hunt will satisfy you then do that and it will be an awesome experience esp. if you do it in a dangerous game area such as in Zimbabwe.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did plains game in 05 in Namibia, I shot a young eland bull,the best we could find in 5 days of hunting.They are big tuff amimals, the 416 rem mag I used was not too much gun. I crawled on my belly 80 yards "bush to bush" to get about 125 yards away from the herd. My shot was good, he was angled away from me. I waited what seem like a life time for it, I never got a better option, it was the only shot he offered in the 10 minuntes of waiting. The herd was starting to move off it was now or never! At the shot they mixed up and I loss my bull. I stayed hidden and they did not know where I was.

I am glad I had chosen the 416 rem mag. I hit him just behind the last rib, it travled full length through the rib cage and was found under the skin of the off shoulder. The 350 gr tsx performed perfectly and looked just like the one in the magazines. I would not have taken that shot with a 300 or 338 mag, and was happy I had chosen the tsx to hunt with.

At the shot He just stood there surounded by his cows. 30 seconds later the herd started to trot past me. maybe 15 yards away. I checked each for blood as they ran by. He was the last of the herd to come by, he was walking instead of at a trot, he was showing no ill effects of the shot, its was at least a minute, maybe even two since the shot. My ph who had remained back about 80 yards, He had 10x glass and signled for me to shoot again. I put it through the near shoulder to break him dowm, The four petals must have sheared off, the two shots crossed and this one keep going. He dropped and was dead by the time I walked up. They told me his vitals were a mess.

I wish I had been able to hunt buff, We took 14 animals includeing 3 Gemsbuck and 3 zebra. I would have been happy to trade the xtra zebra and Gemsbuck, springbuck ,and hartebeast for a buff had one been avaible. I hope to get back, but the dream is fadeing. Do everything you can on this trip, you don't know whats comeing down the road.

I would do buff, kudo, eland, zebra and blue wildebeast, if you have additional funds gemsbuck, warthog, black wildebrast.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland are plainsgame, and easy to kill, Buff are dangerous game and can also be easy to kill, but once you have stood a buffalo charge, your whole opinnion will change, you will either never hunt him again, or your hooked on Mbogo..IMO the Cape Buffalo is the ultimate rush in hunting...I have shot plenty of both, been charged 3.5 times by buffalo, and if I was limited to only one animal to hunt the rest of my life it would be the Cape Buffalo. In 40 years of hunting Africa, my most memorible experience have all been Cape Buffalo experiences.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Eland are plainsgame, and easy to kill, Buff are dangerous game and can also be easy to kill, but once you have stood a buffalo charge, your whole opinnion will change, you will either never hunt him again, or your hooked on Mbogo..IMO the Cape Buffalo is the ultimate rush in hunting...I have shot plenty of both, been charged 3.5 times by buffalo, and if I was limited to only one animal to hunt the rest of my life it would be the Cape Buffalo. In 40 years of hunting Africa, my most memorible experience have all been Cape Buffalo experiences.

OK, I've seen this several times now and I'm sure I'm opening myself up for it but how in the hell do you get charged .5 times?

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

OK, I've seen this several times now and I'm sure I'm opening myself up for it but how in the hell do you get charged .5 times?

Yes, Ray, let us know.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillsBillsBills:
This added cost may be a buffalo hunt killer. I have to keep the wife happy. I'll have to see how our financial situation is.

If it is a choice of going and hunting eland or not going if you want to hunt buffalo, I would go and hunt the eland. tu2 A tracking hunt for eland is very challenging. They are a switched on animal for sure.

Mike

Posts: 21670 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your outfitter, you might be able to pay dangerous game daily rates for the buff hunt only and pay plains game daily rates while only hunting plains gams. Depends on your outfitter. That could save you some money.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have taken two buffalo. To be honest, buffalo hunting seemed overrated to me.

Unless you really want to hunt buffalo, I would not spend the extra money.

But as you can see from this thread, opinions on buffalo hunting go from one extreme to the other. If you "really" want one, go for it. If you are not too caught up on hunting buffalo your money would be better spent elsewhere.(and buffalo hunting is expensive)

To answer your most important question: yes, you will get the "African experience" even if you stick to plains game.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some good points here for sure, thats why I like this website.
One other point that I failed to include: being from Canada I cannot take firearms into Zim so I would have to use a camp rifle, not such a big deal for eland /pg but for buffalo?

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither!!! Do a tuskless elephant for the same money or less than a buffalo.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I think finance is the only issue in choosing a buffalo as opposed to an eland safari. Most all hunters would like to shoot at least one buffalo. It's is an experience I recommend and you'll never know if buffalo hunting really is your thing until you do it. On the other hand if the price is just more than what you can handle do go on a PG hunt with eland as your main focus. You NEED to have the safari experience more than you NEED a buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
One other point that I failed to include: being from Canada I cannot take firearms into Zim so I would have to use a camp rifle, not such a big deal for eland /pg but for buffalo?

Bill

Couldn't you have a RT ticket to Joberg and then a separate ticket to Zim? I thinks that is what folks that use British Air do.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I think it may still be illegal just a way to try to skirt the law. Not entirely sure about that though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Brooklands Safaris. On their Concession in the SAVE they have great cape buff, and eland hunting. As well as excellent hunting for several other plainsgame species.

As a plus, you will get to spend a lot of time around elephants...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shot both on a Zim hunt in 2008. The eland hunt was much tougher than the buff hunt that year. I have shot a number of buff and eland. Hunt eland and enjoy Africa! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of my toughest and most enjoyable hunts was after eland totally on foot. took 15 days of walking the mopane forests 15-20 miles a day, but when successful it was great moment

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
They are both great hunts. If you only have the funds for the eland hunt, consider doing it with and open sighted double rifle. You will have all the challenge you can handle.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Ive done both the hunts you've described, and loved them both. That said, I doubt I'll hunt Africa again without Buffalo on the menu. It's my absolute favorite hunting in the world. Either way you go, make sure you go, and best of luck to you...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
The 1st time I saw eland was back in '95 on a farm in Namibia...big cow that everybody wants to take - didn't ring a bell - then!

So in 06 - I was in Zim for a Buffalo as a prime game...got one on 4th day...

With 6 day left on a 10 day hunt Eland was a The Reminder...got Him on a last day...

...and I was sorry - Eland deserves a separate hunt...right after a Buffalo...btw - did you know that Eland shed tears when dead...I swear I won't shoot another one unless it is at least a dying age...

Eland is worth of a Safari for them own.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill

i have used a camp rifle for my last 4 safaris- 1 buff, 2 crocs, a hippo, leopard( shotgun) and a boatload of plains game. not a problem. as far as buff vs. eland. killed 2 buff and 1 eland- give me a tracking hunt for buff every time. the absolute essence of "safari". i could care less if i ever saw another eland.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If I could not afford to hunt Buffalo regularly then I would hunt Eland instead.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A buffalo was my first animal in 1983 on my first trip to Zimbabwe and Africa. An eland came several trips later.

If cost is a factor for you, get the buffalo first in Zimbabwe, then return in a couple of years to collect your eland in South Africa or Namibia.

The daily rate and trophy fees for your second trip should be considerably easier to put together.

Please don't say you will make only one trip to Africa, though. That's like saying you will eat only one potato chip.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, this will actually be my second safari to Africa. Last summer I did a combo bow/rifle hunt in Namibia. I had a great time. This next trip will almost surely be my last, too many other places my wife and I would like to see.
If I don't go after buff though, maybe an excuse to go again!!

Subsailor, that sounds like a great idea... can I borrow your double? LOL

Bill

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I will spend my money hunting more species not necesraily bigger species every hunt has its own challenges

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Bill - probably not......but you can shoulder it at Dallas or SCI. Butch Searcy will have it on display.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Try following the herd into the long grass for a few hours..................

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:

..............Absolutely! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buffalo hunting and elephant hunting are what hunting is for me.

All others take a distant second place.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68643 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:

..............Absolutely! Eeker

Chase those things around in the long grass for awhile, getting close, seeing bits and pieces of black every once in awhile, smelling the cattle smell, hear them snort that deep menacing guttural growl, then bombshell in all directions sounding like a raging brushfire coming your way, at first not knowing which way they are stampeding, then realizing they are running away and Oh by the way your heart beat is up around 200 bpm and you say hunting buff is overrated.

Jason, have you been to the doc lately to see if you are still alive???!!! shocker

There isn't an eland alive that will do that for ya! Cool

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
………………………Buffalo or Eland???????

Bills,Bills,Bills, If I read you correctly, the problem is going for Cape buffalo may be enough extra cost so that you can’t go at all! In that case, if it is set in cement, The eland and a few other P-game that you haven’t taken may be the best choice! That is a sad state of affairs indeed IMO, because I don’t consider any plains game animal the equal of a good Cape Buffalo bull, properly hunted!

My first trip to Africa was for a package list of six animals! The first animal I took in Africa was a the largest Hippo I’ve ever taken with a pair of 28 inch heavy mass tusks! It was on the morning of the first day of hunting, at around 7:AM, and by 9:AM I had a representative Impala, and a very large BODY size bull Cape buffalo with only a 39 inch spread but good bosses! By the last day I had added a very good warthog, a book quality Cookson’s wildebeest, and a very nice Zebra!

What I’m trying to get across with this post is I wasn’t sure I’d ever get back to Africa again and the animal I wanted was the buffalo, and it took two or three years for it to soak in that the other animals I’d taken were as valuable in their own right as the Buffalo, but the fact remains, my bucket list has never been empty of desire for Cape buffalo hunting, and like some others on this website, I still can’t imagine going to Africa and not hunting Cape Buffalo!

For you, this is a decision only you can make and like some here have said they found buffalo a little bland, and you may find it that way yourself on the first one, but I assure you if you hunt Mbogo long that opinion will change the first time you get in the grass with one that has been poked with a non-lethal shot, and must be sorted out!

……………..What ever you decide, savor every minute of it, because all you have at this point is today and tomorrow may never come!
......................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote