Find
Notify
Tools

1st time hunt in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and gentelman

I'm just in the very preliminary stages of hunt planing for Africa. I've decided these are the animals I would like to hunt;

Oryx
Kudu
Nyala
Bushbuck
Impala
Warthog

Is it possible for me to hunt them on one trip?Where should I go? If it can be done who would the outfitters be that I should be looking at?

I thank you for any and all assistance you can offer me.

Rod

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
Look in the Eastern Cape for these animals. I would think the tough part will be finding Nyala and Oryx in the same area.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
For this wish list, knowing what I know now but recognizing it is your first trip, if I were you I'd go to Natal (South Africa) for the Nyala, then the Limpopo region for the Bushbuck and Kudu, and the others as available except for the oryx which I would leave to a future hunt to Namibia (Oryx, Springbok, Red Hartebeest). I would hunt larger properties with a PH who hunts on foot, along a river for at least part of the trip. I would include a day or two as possible to sample some of the local culture and/or a "Big 5" area. I would contact Chris Troskie, info@ct-safaris.com, www.ct-safaris.com, as well as other reputable outfitters who post here on the forum. I would not explicitly trust my friend who has one safari under his belt, nor one of the three outfitters who shows up at my local Outdoors Show.

If you are in position to spend some $'s and looking for a bit more of an adventure then South Africa can offer, and assuming the nyala is your marquee animal, you could consider the Save Conservancy in Zimbabwe, or one of the emerging areas in Mozambique. Mark Young who posts here knows these options well.

Make sure to read the back-pages of the forum, including this: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/122101325/m/468106101

Good luck and have fun!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you try BushAfricaSafaris in Limpopo for your hunt. I've taken all the game on your list at their concessions and have been quite pleased with their services.

LLS

http://www.bushafricasafaris.co.za/?item=306&MenuID=322

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Sandriver Safaris which is on the nothern border of RSA, next to Zimbabwe. I had the time of my life without breaking the bank. Give Johan a call and I don't think you'll regret it.

http://www.sandriver.co.za/

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with Huntley Ferreira Safaris west of Aldays in the Limpopo area. His prices are reasonable in a family style atmosphere and some of his hunting is along the Limpopo itself, such as bushbuck, and he hunts all the animals you mentioned. They also do dangerous game in Zambia and Zimbabwe. He will be in Reno at SCI this year also. Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses folks. I'm going to try and get to Reno for SCI.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Don't discount going to Dallas Safari Club. You can meet more than 100 AR guys and ladies there and its one heck of a lot cheaper!

AR Party in Dallas

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7622 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can get everything except nyala in Namibia. For a first time hunt you might try Kaharli Safaris: also, they auction off a hunt at Dallas Safari Club.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Ron Oliver of Africa Hunting Safaris, he will be at both shows. He is an agent for a few outfitters and the one is Kuduland in SA. They have all your animals in one place and are culling their gemsbok they have so many. Have seen some really good nyala coming out of there as well. Good luck regardless as to were you end up.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shangaan:
Talk to Ron Oliver of Africa Hunting Safaris, he will be at both shows. He is an agent for a few outfitters and the one is Kuduland in SA. They have all your animals in one place and are culling their gemsbok they have so many. Have seen some really good nyala coming out of there as well. Good luck regardless as to were you end up.

You must be thinking of another company. I own Kuduland Safaris and would like to point out that Ron Oliver does NOT represent me or my company and never has......... I don't know Ron Oliver and don't mean to criticise him, but we have no business or personal connections.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shangaan:
http://www.zwsafaris.com/kuduland_rifle.html

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That explains it..... he has titled that incorrectly Roll Eyes ...... he's obviously marketing GREATER Kuduland Safaris which is owned by Howard Knott. Roll Eyes

As I said, he's NOT representing us.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been to Africa once but... Tollie Jordaan can get all of these animals for you in the East Cape of South Africa. He is rumored to have some of the best Nyala in SA.

www.safari-in-africa.com

My wife and I went in June of 2007 and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Posts: 42105 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SLAM,

You have a Private Message...

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have an OUTSTANDING spot for Nyala in KZN, you can expect 28+ (almost a sure thing) and you can hope for 30. The world record was taken on an adjoining property not too long ago. Also good for Red Duiker, and the other usual suspects.

You won't find any Oryx around there though! It's indigenous species only.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2929 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
1/2 Slam,
I just returned from my first trip on August 1st.
I hunted with Neil Barnard of NB Safaris in the Limpopo Region. www.nbsafaris.co.za
I killed Impala, Warthog, Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Blesbuck and Wildebeest on a 10 day safari.
5 Star all the way. Food, accomodations, staff-- everything is first rate. I am going back and will use Neil again and again. Contact him. His wife, Karen, is a sweetheart. They will break their back for you.
Tell them Randy sent you. Remember-- it's free to ask questions.
Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"you can get everything except nyala in Namibia."

I saw a number of good nyala bulls while at Jan Oelofse's Mout Etjo Safaris in Namibia in June. They are not indiginous, of course, but they have been there many generations, according Oelofse. He has one of the largest, if not the largest properties in that country and more game animals per square foot (including everything on your list) than I've seen anywhere else in southern Africa. He exhibits at SCI but not DSC.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rod

We can set the whole thing up for you in South Africa or in Namibia. Nyala are harder to come by in Namibia but we have outfitters who have them. But I really think the Eastern Cape is the best bet.

We book for an outfitter who has some of the best Nyala in South Africa.

Check out:

http://www.tjsafari.com/RSA1-T.cfm

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should contact Numzaan Safaris also located in Limpopo of RSA. They have Nyala for pets that will eat out of your hand. I have shot all of the animals listed except for Nyala. They have lots of really big areas to hunt and I shot a really big Kudu (free ranging) and a huge Kudu and good waterbuck. They have lots of other game and they do dangerous game hunts. I think they will be in the states next months at some of the shows.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM SENT!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote