Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas Safari Club 2008
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Last year the Comfort Inn at 7138 N. Stemmons Fwy, Dallas - (214) 461-2677 seemed to please about every one as a gathering place/motel. It is only a short drive to the show (which will be January 10-13 this year). I don't think anyone had any problem getting back and forth because lots of folks had autos or shared cabs.

I've reserved 20 rooms again this year in my name. They know, when you make your reservation, to charge you, BTW, so don't get cheap on me! Roll Eyes

I reserved the party room for Saturday night so we can have the 110th birthday party and general lying contest, both for PH's and hunters.

Last year, I believe we had 5 to 7 PH's there and about as many booking agents so some new networking was done.

Remember, the only qualifications that will get you in the party is that you have already been there or have not.

Attitudes are checked at the door. For 4 years now, everyone has been a gentleman or lady, regardless of tripe spread around on AR or anywhere else. Way to go guys and girls!

Call the above number and get your room. The rate, I believe is $72. You don't need to reserve all three nights, either.

See you there?

Let's keep a running total of who has reservations below????

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ernest, we'll be there but we're at the Hilton. Looking forward to it. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, If ya'll would allow such an inexperienced individual as myself to join in the festivities, I would be most appreciative. I haven't made the journey yet, but am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before doing so, and can't think of a better place to do so.

Thanks,

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
x2:

Of course you can join us, unless you've been with us before or have not.

But we'll vote, just in case:
All in favor, salute, expell a bit of flatulence... bow towards Dar and scratch where dogs can lick..

Not in favor, shout loud enough for me to hear a "no"...

I heard one fart and no "no"... so...
The farts have it and....

O.K... x2... you're in!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge for doing the foot work, again. I just booked my room.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
See you there Judge. Kathy was asking me just the other day when you were coming to Cody on your Vespa? Any idea yet?

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope to make it this year. We too, are at the Hilton Anatole. Been a while since I stayed there. Hope I can find the Bar!
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge. I'll call and make my reservation tonight. Look forward to seeing everyone there. I was just thinking this morning that I needed to check into the convention and get my reservations made. This just opened the door and kicked me in the arse.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest: Joyce & I have reserved our room; also, we'll have a car for transportation around town (same as last year). Thanks, FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My reservation was just made. Since I now work full time for the Army as a civilian, I don't have to worry about taking days off at the beginning of a college semester.
Be it known, the .395 clan will be there!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reservation made. Now if I can just Southwest off there butts and get January open for flight reservations, I'll be set. I'm looking forward to it folks. I've been a member of a couple of other sites for several years and it's always great to meet the folks you've been talking to on the web.

David

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
For those of you who wonder, at the motel... and among the AR guys who you will met at Dallas (with their DRSS hats) or just eating a hotdog, you'll be exposed to hundreds of safaris. The wealth of knowledge (and b.s.) is truely mind boggling. At the convention, meeting and making plans with you PH is priceless. Watching Dugaboy forget his name, you need a MasterCard... or something like that. And just getting to see Jorge's wife... I'd crawl roundtrip for that. And... who's wife was a Playmate of the Month?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ernest, she says "flattery will get you everywhere" but just remember, I have multiple large caliber rifles, 2.75" Zunis, 20mm and a shovel... and Dale will give me an alibi Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,
Not to worry, he is like a dog chasing cars, if he caught one he wouldn't remember what to do with it, age has its positives but not a hell of a lot of em...

Anyway, Pierre and I will do the hit for you if needed! for a paultry amount of cash.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Sheleika (sp?) at the Comfort Inn. It seems that various folks want to stay different dates... and that's alright with her. Just call and tell them when and the same rate will apply for the beginning to the end of The DSC convention. We already have 6 reservations.

And I did catch a tire once... I think? And if anyone does a hit on me, show me some respect and make it a silver bullet out of at least an H&H Dominion grade .500/.465 N.E.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
WILCO Ernest. I already have a call in to George at Champlin for one Smiler . BTW, the Valkyrie told me to tell you thanks again for the flattering comments! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

A real good alibi will cost you. The Ms and I will be staying at the Rennaisance again this year. It's nice just to be able to walk across the parking lot. We will probably avoid the AR party also. A certain members wife went out of the way to be rude to myself and my wife this past January at DSC. I don't care what someone does to me, but don't mess with my wife. I won't name the member, but in this case one bad apple did spoil the whole bunch for me. Look us up when you and your lovely bride arrive.

Dale

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Roger on the alibi price Smiler. Sorry to hear about the snub. But look forward to seeing you guys there as well as in July. I alrady have leave approved. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another res made.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're there!

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Still a bunch of months to go, but the AR party and dinner is too good to miss, so I'll give this thread a bump.

Remember the rules for the invite:

1. There are no rules for your invite except you must be breathing, polite and lend me money.

2. You must be ready to tell tales of your safari... true stories are allowed. Retreever brought a scrap book... others would be nice, too.

3. You must respect the flag of the State of Texas, and

4. If you have a good-looking, rich and unmarried daughter/sister/sister-in-law... she has to be introduced to me. If your wife or girlfriend is a hottie, bring her.. and Texas Zebra... I still love you with due respect to your good husband.

5. Bring a bit of your favorite libation or cocktail snack... we'll have plenty, but diversity (in this very limited case) counts.

6. Jack Russells are encouraged.

7. What's-his-name is welcome to bring his girlfriend if she dances on the table again.

8. and seriously... the folks at the Comfort Inn have told me that we were the most fun bunch they had last year... Let's continue to have good fun and keep that reputation.

9. I forgot.. This year we'll have a sign-up for a best buffalo or elephant trophy. No fee to compete... a rotating trophy with your name engraved is the prize. The rules follow:

You submit a picture (honor system) that fairly shows the buffalo or elephant you killed during the 2008 calendar year. Either may win.. or a leopard or lion, too, come to think of it. You must attend the AR party and sign up for the contest this or any following year.. do so even if you don't think you're going on a DG hunt this year in case you change your mind. Once entered, you're in ad nausem (one entry is for every year following). We'll decide on three judges at the party. (Tony, Rusty and Me?) I'll provide the mantlepiece worthy trophy with suitable "bars" for engraving this year's (and subsequent) winner's names... yes, I just watched the British Open.. No SCI or Roland Ward criteria applies.. it just what the judges like... and you must write a story about it on AR.. the story can make a "scrum cap" or P.A.C. cow, the winner.. just another instant tradition to make the gathering a little more fun.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damnit, Ernest! I saw Melody first!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You submit a picture (honor system) that fairly shows the buffalo or elephant you killed during the 2008 calendar year.

Not to be a nit-picker, but do you mean the 2007 calendar year, or do we need to book a PAC hunt for New Year's?

Okay, so I am a nit-picker...
troll

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the folks at the Comfort Inn (to make a reservation for a friend). They are looking forward to us, both the folks staying there and those just coming to the AR party on Saturday night. There are rooms available still.

As to the Trophy, bring your pictures for this year of Lions, elephants, buffalo and leopards. We'll have a 2007 winner, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there as well. Staying with the wife and son at the Hilton, but will make the party.
Now I need to practice the BS to keep up with the rest of you guys.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
JudgeG: I'm a new member to AR, but would like to drop by to meet you guys, especially any Georgia man that demands respect for the Texas flag. I'll bring bourbon; good stuff.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I will be there, too. Unfortunately, I'm unattached at the moment (heck, for the past six years!) so don't have a hottie to bring. Now, being of unsound mind, but sound body, I'd be willing to interview a replacement with the one criteria: No objecting to my hunting!
A bottle of Wild Turkey will be brought to the party due to a deal with RIP on the .395 caliber.
Oh, does a picture of a mutilated prairie dog count for the contest?
Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote