Find
Notify
Tools

.458 buffalo loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Would like some help with loads for my Whitworth Express.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
I don't know if your Whitworth is as light as mine was, if so, it jars you teeth with every shot. I finally put a recail reducer in the butt, and a softer pad. As you know, the .458 is short on powder space and therefore it is hard to get decent velocities. Your best bet with a 500 gr bullet might be the Speer AGS bullet. Because of the Tung. carbide core (whick is heavier than lead) is shorter than other bullets. You can get a little more powder in and get around 2200 fps. The speer manuel lists 78.0 grains of AA2230 at 2239 fps. Otherwise I use to like Hornadys solid. I am now told that they have gone to a different sheilding for their solids and are no longer steel. Using softpoints I like the Swifts they will stay together for sure.
George

<Don G>
posted
George is right about the Speer AGSs giving you the most powder room and maybe the highest velocity. George has been around the block a few times, he should know.

I hear good reports of the GS Custom FN solid in 458 caliber, but I don't remember if they were shooting Lotts or Wins. I got good velocity and good accuracy in my M70 with the 416 version.

Norbert should be speaking up soon, he's a "heavy metal" guy.

Don

<R. A. Berry>
posted
over .40,
Try the load that worked best in my Whitworth .458:
WW brass
F215 primer
500 grain bullet (soft or solid Hornady, Swift, Speer)
Powder: IMR 3031, 71 to 72 grains, depending on the gun, velocity 2150 fps in a 24" barrel. Reduce by 5 grains and work up.
I like to avoid ball powders in the .458. IMR 3031 is accurate and consistent. Good safe load for any temperature, and good enough for anything with the right bullet and inside of 200 yards.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I get good results (velocity and grouping) with 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcores and IMR 4198.

My Steyr shoots Woodleighs MOA at about 2100 fps. I use 62.5 grains of 4198.

500 grain Hornadys also do well but the groups open up to about 1.5-2 MOA.

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the reply by Alan Bunn in the .35 Whelan posting. He attached a link to African Hunter archives and there is an interesting field test where wet telephone books and actual elephant thigh bones are used on penetration tests for different .458 loads.
Ralph

------------------

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Hey Over 40,

Of course, Ralph is referring to our famous "Elephant Sandwich". This link will take you directly there, where there is much discussion about the use of conventional and monometal solids in the .458, as well as some interesting thoughts on the price of premium bullets versus the price of coffins. ;^)

http://www.african-hunter.com/site/archive_firearms/archive_firearms_solidsvmono.htm

Cheers,

Alan

------------------
Internet Editor
http://www.african-hunter.com

Posts: 1099 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
All the replies appreciated. I'm waiting for the Woodleighs to arrive. Alan,the Elaphant Sandwich is VERY enlightening!!!

Good Shooting All.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the best advise you could get on that nice 458 is to have Dennis Olson in Plains, Mt. punch it out to 458 Lott and then you can get a good 2200 plus without the high, bolt sticking, pressure associated with the 458 Win...

By the way in the latest Man Magnum, Ganyana states the the new hi-vel American 458's are again causeing stuck bolts in the African heat, and the Africans are back to using the low vel stuff from PMP....

When a caliber exist that keeps raising its ugly head the best thing to do is cut its head off and quit being bullish because one owns one and doesn't want to admit it is a mistake, even at the risk of life and limb. Its got a bad history boys, face it.....The cure is cheap and simple (the Lott)...Now if you disagree then so be it, its your hide, not mine, so have a good hunt...there I finally said it!!!and I feel better now!!!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much mental debate on this same topic over the last year, and lots of research on the subject, Mine will definately be a LOTT!

It's the 470 nitro express of bolt action rifles.jj

------------------
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Aaron Rust>
posted
I do not have the experience of these other guys but the only load I have ever loaded is the same as what R.A. Berry listed. I get 2150 out of my 22" barrel. I haven't tried it in africa yet. My 458 hasn't made the trip here yet. I have shot it a bit in the states and have never noticed any signs of high pressure. I think the LOTT thing is good advice. I will have mine drilled some time.... my mag box is to short for the lott or it would have already been done!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just moving it to the top!

What about X bullets??

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
I've had two .458's, one with a 24" barrel and the other with a 25". I was never able to get 2,150 fps with either at pressures I was comfortable with. This of course with the 500 grain bullets of various makes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
It's no great feat to lenthen a magazine for the Lott, it's part of the conversion process.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted

Was the "Lott" created as a result of "Failure", or as a natural progression to "improve" a cartridge/caliber ?........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Would you mind elaborating on the 458 Lott magazine conversion? I'm using 1909 Argentine hinged bottom metal. Specifically, how do you deal with the relief in the front wall for the hinged floorplate? And, how about the width of the front magazine well extension? Does it not matter if the front mag extension continues in a straight-line taper, or will those bullets be too crowded together and bind? This may not be all that clear, I hope you understand what Mauser anatomy I'm referring to! If I only had a digital camera!

And thanks for your previous encouragement on the Precise side-swing safety. It installed neatly with a Dremel, two files, and a drill bit. Can't tell it wasn't done on a mill, and works great.

Good shooting,
Todd Getzen

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote