Find
Notify
Tools

Holland & Holland 500 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wow! Nice African rifle!

I was checking out Holland & Holland's site and found this 500 Jeffery by Holland & Holland. I think this is a pretty rare caliber for them. I've never heard of another.

Enjoy!

http://www.hollandandholland.c...uns/988989894572.htm

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow is right......that is a very sweet piece of iron in a caliber I love (I have a Heym 500 Jeff). Thanks for sharing....I'm wiping the drool off the keyboard now.....

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just says "take me hunting elephant"!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If ever there was a bolt rifle worth that kind of money, this is it...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been lucky enough to visit the H&H showroom many times and they are always gracious enough to allow me to handle their BA and DR rifles. dancing

They do feel and handle as good as they look.

That by the way, is probably about as close as I will ever get to owning one. CRYBABY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to shoot a few rounds through Fletcher Jameson"s famous .500 Jeffery who is now owned by our friend Bill Jones. It has his name inscribed on the barrel.
Quite a thrill, and a very accurate rifle still.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is tits delicious!!!!! While I think it could be had for under 20 from an american smith(s) I agree it is gorgeous. I guess if I were a millionaire and considered them an investment too I'd consider this one. I want to know more about the action, and I love the very fine stippling, the top of that metal is a work of art on its own.

What would you do for scoping it? Side mount or is there a way to put bases on there without damaging the bridge and ring?

What do you guys think we're looking at cost wise from a stateside smith?

Thanks for the link! I'll be happy all day now.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice.

Interesting that H&H calls the shotguns and rifles 'Weapons' on the website and not firearms.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If money was not an issue.................

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but you need a lot of money to take a 54k $ gun in the bush and not worry about it getting scratched!

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is most likely an early 20th century "large" Mauser. H&H bought a bunch of them, back in the day.

As to scope mounting, H&H is in the habit of saying, "claw mounts or no mounts" on their very powerful rifles (including DG's). That caliber would require a VERY robust scope. Or maybe better yet a ghost ring.

A minor hobby of mine. Don't own any, or ever expect to. Terry Wieland has written that David Miller would want "over $40,000.00" for a (more or less) comparable .458WM.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Stunning gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use it without a scope.

Open sites for being up close and personal with a buffalo or a tusker!

The action is a modern double square bridge
Johanssen action for the 500 Jeffery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dudes! If you just read beside the first picture, you will see that it is a "Johanssen" (sic) action!!!

They probably mean it is a Johannsen "barreled action," and it was just gussied up and nearly quadrupled in price over what you could buy a Johannsen for, merely by engraving it "H&H."

Johannsen offers the 500 Jeffery as a standard offering but at a few K $ premium over the .416 Rigby and 450 Dakota, etc.

I think Mr. Johannsen gets his Magnum Mauser actions from Mr. Prechtl of Golmatic.

Mr. "Prechtell" is down at the well.
Mr. Johannsen is up at the mansion.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
The action is most likely an early 20th century "large" Mauser. H&H bought a bunch of them, back in the day.

The site says: "Double Square Bridge Johanssen Action"

I was going to write a check for it but then I noticed that it was right handed. Frowner

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
only $50k? I wonder if they could make me a matching pair? Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm only $50,000.00 short.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Damn, I'm only $50,000.00 short.

Dave

And arm length. 15in LOP is just too much for me to stretch to.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really like it.We can't even see a complete picture of it.There is something about that wood that I don't like-don't know what it is-it looks sponge or cork screw like.I wonder if it is wild circasian or something else? Not worth half or even a quarter of the money.I like the engraving or gold inlay and the floor plate-it stands out against the flat black metal finish.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would use it without a scope.

Proper way for the 500 Jeff.....my scope is in QD mounts.....It's got a great set of irons on it.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
While I was in New York yesterday I went by H&H's showroom. Saw this .500 Jeffery rifle; it is very nice (and so are a bunch of others there).

The round action double rifles are the nicest looking I think.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave & Bob at H&H New York have been great to work with. I've bought three bolt action rifles from them in the past 2 years.

I've been to the London store twice, the Paris twice when it was still open and New York once over the last 5 years and see them at the SCI show every year. Great stores with great people! Every store I visited I found them very gracious with letting you "fondle" the rifles. Be careful, you just might want to buy one!
Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to H&H NY several years ago, and my excuse to get in was to look at the least expensive guns in the shop. Both were 375 H&H bolt action magazine rifles made by Cogswell and Harrison, one was around $4k, and the other $6k. I had no intention of buying either, but of course, the one I liked the best did not fit me at all. I did not ask to handle any other guns, but just walked around the gun room with a stunned look on my face. My wife was with, and commentd that she never knew guns could be so beautiful. They even had a 600 Nitro double made by Macnaughton, which was $120k, and some matched pair 12 bores that tipped the monetary scale at $160k. Honestly, I spent the most time in the book room, and ended up purchasing an H&H necktie...Wink

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle I wouldn't want to have more than $30k in it though. That's the epitome price for the tipping point for resale on even the finest bolt guns. A friend called on this gun and was told there's no strap over the comb. A strange decision given it was built special as a 600 grain 500 Jeffery bolt gun!

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Am I the only person who thinks the gold inlay is a little tacky?

For my money they could have done without the gold and put a just a little bit of engraving on the action.

I have to confess I'd rather sink that sort of money, if I had it of course, into an older and more classic H&H or just get Paul Roberts to build me a Jeffery 500 Jeffery with everything I want.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP:
Dudes! If you just read beside the first picture, you will see that it is a "Johanssen" (sic) action!!!

They probably mean it is a Johannsen "barreled action," and it was just gussied up and nearly quadrupled in price over what you could buy a Johannsen for, merely by engraving it "H&H."

Johannsen offers the 500 Jeffery as a standard offering but at a few K $ premium over the .416 Rigby and 450 Dakota, etc.

I think Mr. Johannsen gets his Magnum Mauser actions from Mr. Prechtl of Golmatic.

Mr. "Prechtell" is down at the well.
Mr. Johannsen is up at the mansion.

The stock looks like those made in Germany too, the scallops behind the bridge are a particular "tell".

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If H & H were to knock $50K off the price for a useless left hand version, I could possibly see myself helping them out and disposing of it. As an act of charity, of course.

Naturally, I would be too embarrassed to take it hunting. Only late at night would it come out of the safe. Preferably, this would occur while already on my second helping of Ardbeg so as to console myself over having been so taken advantage of.

Once over my shame, I shall likely offer my charitable serves to Purdey I suppose.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
OVERPRICED

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Yip! And I own a pair of H&H snapcaps for my 12 gauge CZ Electra. dancing Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle but too expensive for the working man to afford. but Sabie Rifles in Nelspruit South Africa have probably built the most 500 Jeff and they do an excellent job at roughly R 50 000 ZAR and not $ 50 000 USD

http://www.sabirifles.co.za/

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Awesome rifle but too expensive for the working man to afford. but Sabie Rifles in Nelspruit South Africa have probably built the most 500 Jeff and they do an excellent job at roughly R 50 000 ZAR and not $ 50 000 USD

http://www.sabirifles.co.za/

When value for money comes into the equation the workmanship and quality you get from SABI for a .500 Jefrrey is hard to beat.
My brother had one built on a 'made to measure'
basis and if I recall spent around $8000 with 200 rounds of ammo included in the deal - it took approx. 8 months to deliver.
Considering its 'wicked' reputation, the recoil was less than that of a .416 Remington (no suppressors or m/brakes involved) and a pleasure to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This one is NOT a H&H http://www.johnrigbylondon.com/old.html

What do people think of this one?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
If I want to buy a Johannsen rifle, I do not need H&H to sell it to me after adding their cut.It is getting really irritating to see even top bespoke gun makers stamping their name on guns they did not make. Mad

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Very, very nice.

Interesting that H&H calls the shotguns and rifles 'Weapons' on the website and not firearms.

That may be a "Euro thing". When I go thru Schiphol...the ladies at the desk always say: "oh...you have weapons!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I'll just keep my old Safari Grade pre-64 M 70 .458 WM customized in the Winchester Custom Shop at purchase in 56 or 57 can't remember.

I'll match it in accuracy, and feeding any day of the week!

And to me 'cause it is a Winchester made in New Haven, Conn...I like it even better than an old H&H stamped bolt-gun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36869 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:
If I want to buy a Johannsen rifle, I do not need H&H to sell it to me after adding their cut.It is getting really irritating to see even top bespoke gun makers stamping their name on guns they did not make. Mad

Best-
Locksley,R.

You mean like every British or American rifle ever built on a Mauser action?
Johannsen do sell actions - nice ones - but do they even sell barrelled actions? If they do I was not aware of it...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It's a gorgeous rifle and if I won the Powerball lottery I'd be thinking about it, but would probably buy a 375 H&H instead. I'm pretty happy with my $3500 (that includes all of the extra gunsmithing I've had done by the CZ Custom Shop and AHR) CZ 500 Jeffery.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:

Best-
Locksley,R.

You mean like every British or American rifle ever built on a Mauser action?
Johannsen do sell actions - nice ones - but do they even sell barrelled actions? If they do I was not aware of it...

I am not referring to the practice you referred. I was talking about the "Label Engineering" that's been going on-most of the gun sourced from an overseas manufacturer and stamping on the pricier brand name.It might make business sense.But, not correct in my books.If you like me to produce 'proof', I cannot in this case as only the action might have been sourced.But, the overall look of the rifle makes me think that it's a rifle made entirely by Reimer Johannsen.P lease do not think that it's an attack on the revered London gunmakers. I respect the names and their history.Hence my frustration.

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&H are lovely rifles,but when I get my 500 Jefferey it will be another Heym.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote