New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to shoot off of sticks
 Login/Join

Picture of Red_Sonja
posted
Today we went to the gun range so I could practice shooting off of sticks. I’m going to need more practice before we go.
I have decided to use Black Hills Gold 85 gr Barns TSX ammo. I also shot my husbands 300 Winchester Magnum off the sticks and hit the target.

Just living is not enough...
I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 legged shooting sticks are much easier!

I personally use a Bog Pod but there are other options. You can PM me if you like.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
3 legged shooting sticks are much easier!

+1

And, there's a 99% chance, that is exactly what your PH will have for you (3 legged).

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot off my 2 legged Bog Pod and can keep them in about 4 inches at 200 yards if not rushed. Every week I shoot a few at 200 off the sticks, a few at 200 shooting sitting with a sling (much steadier), 100 offhand, and 50 offhand.

Off all of these, the 100 is probably the best; my goal is to keep all shots in a six inch circle at all these ranges. I can't remember not doing it at either of the 200s or the 50 in recent memory, but struggle to do it offhand at 100. Sometimes I get lucky.

There are some tricks and techniques to shooting off the sticks, but I find simple offhand shooting very valuable.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red_Sonja

Even better is to buy some good 3 legged sticks, practice with them and take them to Africa with you. More than likely the PHs sticks will be quite different from yours therefore negating a lot of your practice. Use what you've gotten used to.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When hunting in Africa my PH would carry the sticks, set up and hold until I got the rifle on them. After shooting or moving to a new position the PH would take the sticks.
This is a lot easier than doing it by yourself.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Try sliding the sling over the left stick before holding it "all together" (like I see you doing.) It does take practice, and you'll have to do what feels best for you. Work with your PH to do it your way -- don't just take his leading, but adjust the sticks to what you practiced. (They're men, so it might take some persuasion.)

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Do you guy have any pictures of these different grips you deploy?

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider buying a set of Bog Pog sticks, they are three legged sticks, easily height adjustable, and then you can actually take your own sticks to Africa. They are only about $100. I attached a piece of hippo leather to mine in the "V" for the rifle and it "grabs" the gun which allows you to get a pretty solid rest. The other thing is with the increased friction, you can "preload" the rifle by leaning into it. It made a world of difference for my boys. You can use the rifle sling to aid in this as well

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Also do a ton of dry firing while on the sticks in your back yard trying to focus holding steady on targets about 100 yards or more away without burning any powder. The muscle memory and practice is invaluable. My across the lake neighbors and their pets have been sniped many times without their knowledge from inside my house

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sonja, welcome to AR! Yes, shooting off sticks is the way things are done in Africa. Practice and good luck on your hunt :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
You may want to consider buying a set of Bog Pog sticks, they are three legged sticks, easily height adjustable, and then you can actually take your own sticks to Africa. They are only about $100. I attached a piece of hippo leather to mine in the "V" for the rifle and it "grabs" the gun which allows you to get a pretty solid rest. The other thing is with the increased friction, you can "preload" the rifle by leaning into it. It made a world of difference for my boys. You can use the rifle sling to aid in this as well

+1 to this. You never know what kind of sticks the PH will have. My first PH had flimsy fiberglass poles for sticks. Being able to practice with your own sticks is a huge confidence builder. As I said I use Bog Pods. They are very, very adjustable and have alot of accessories available.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
quote:

+1 to this. You never know what kind of sticks the PH will have. My first PH had flimsy fiberglass poles for sticks. Being able to practice with your own sticks is a huge confidence builder. As I said I use Bog Pods. They are very, very adjustable and have alot of accessories available.

I love my Bog Pod sticks, but make sure they don't come "loose" when you are about to take a shot. The sticks a PH uses are not going to do that. Take the correct Allen wrench to tighten the clasp.

Another advantage of Bog Pod sticks is that you can collapse them to shoot sitting with them; I shot a brown bear this way in October.

I have never found using the PHs sticks to be an issue, as long as we suss it out first to make sure he knows how to spread them.

Most shooting is 200 yards or less and if you find it difficult to hit something off any sticks, the solution is more shooting, not different sticks.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go against the consensus and suggest you stick with the two legged sticks. I've tried both and like the easier, and faster, height adjustment you can get with the two leg version by just moving slightly forward or back. In either case practice is the key...

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
When hunting in Africa my PH would carry the sticks, set up and hold until I got the rifle on them. After shooting or moving to a new position the PH would take the sticks.This is a lot easier than doing it by yourself.

That is always the way my PHs have handled the sticks. I hate messing with adjustable sticks.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
I'm going to go against the consensus and suggest you stick with the two legged sticks. I've tried both and like the easier, and faster, height adjustment you can get with the two leg version by just moving slightly forward or back. In either case practice is the key...

Good hunting,

Me to. Lean in to raise lean back to lower. A ph never set sticks at the correct height. Learn to shoot sitting with elbows on knees, prone off your pack and off the side of a tree. The poles holding up the range cover will work well for this. I never use sticks if I can use any of the other three.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also do a ton of dry firing while on the sticks in your back yard trying to focus holding steady on targets about 100 yards or more away without burning any powder. The muscle memory and practice is invaluable. My across the lake neighbors and their pets have been sniped many times without their knowledge from inside my house

I like your idea of snipping neighbors but we live in an apartment in the Museum District in Houston. That just wouldn’t go over very well. Wink

Just living is not enough...
I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sonja:
quote:

I like your idea of snipping neighbors but we live in an apartment in the Museum District in Houston. That just wouldn’t go over very well. Wink

You can dry fire from inside our apartment; I dry fire in my TR at a spot on a cactus all the time.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It also looks like the sticks could be an inch or so higher to straighten your back more, it will be more comfortable that way.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took prefer 2 legs on shooting sticks. I pull back and then lean into them to steady things up. Also much easier to adjust for an animal on the move.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I took prefer 2 legs on shooting sticks. I pull back and then lean into them to steady things up. Also much easier to adjust for an animal on the move.

And then I have to kill the animal for Biebs Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sticks that are light can be a pain to use, I have a set made from bamboo that are nice to carry but not to use as a rest. I made another set from oak 1" dowels and they are better.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have made two sets of shooting sticks, purchased a wide variety of shooting sticks, and used sticks on every Africa Safari (15 to date). The only time that I took my own sticks was on my first Safari. I found in my own personal experience that the PHs and operators had sufficient shooting sticks available for my use (homemade or bought), and therefore no need to continue taking shooting sticks with me to Africa. Big Grin One less thing to pack and take.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then I have to kill the animal for Biebs Wink

Mike

Or give lead poisoning to every tree in the immediate area :-)

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have made two sets of shooting sticks, purchased a wide variety of shooting sticks, and used sticks on every Africa Safari (15 to date). The only time that I took my own sticks was on my first Safari. I found in my own personal experience that the PHs and operators had sufficient shooting sticks available for my use (homemade or bought), and therefore no need to continue taking shooting sticks with me to Africa. One less thing to pack and take.

+1. Have taken sticks once in fourteen trips. Won't do so again. Key is to practice, and for me a big part of that was where was I most comfortable in placing my left (off) hand. Then muscle memory takes over....

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use sticks a lot and always use two leg sticks - simple poles joined by a simple rubber inner tube - mpira. This means it's quickly adjustable for length and side to side. I don't believe there is any disadvantage over three legged sticks as I have used in Africa but they are way better than a traditional thumbstick - a hazel pole with an antler fork on the end - this needs a huge amount of practice to be competent with.

I cull deer through the year and need good, consistent accuracy - I find a good trick is to lean against a tree to steady my body and get the rifle on the sticks before setting it down. This needs a bit of practice to achieve but can be done quickly to allow accurate shooting. It might be difficult to achieve in Africa though - most of the trees are not made for leaning against!

The word "practice" has appeared in the above and most of the other posts - go figure....

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

I have not hunted with these but did a lot of practice - probably 400 to 500 rounds over 2 years in 416 Rigby & 9.3X62 caliber rifle.

I make sure I rest the fore end on the palm or a soft surface like rubber etc. and not directly on the wood.

If I do rest it on the sticks, I would make sure I rest it on the same spot each time. I would rest the area behind the chamber.

The reason I say this is that resting the fore end on a hard surface can throw your shot higher than normal & potentially miss or would the animal.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Buy and use the Primos Gen 2 tall tripod

You will also enjoy glassing with your binoculars using the tripod as a rest but closed.....monopod style

The Gen 3 is the new model but doesn't look like an improvement

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
By all means practice with sticks.

I also suggest you practice shooting off hand.

There will be an occasion where you might need to take a hurried shot, and you want to make sure you pull it off.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Three is better than two. Two better than one. One better than nothing.

Metal sticks are a no no and wood is best.

I would like to see more hunters bring their sticks to Africa.

Try a grip shooting off one of the legs rather than the V.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
By all means practice with sticks.

I also suggest you practice shooting off hand.

There will be an occasion where you might need to take a hurried shot, and you want to make sure you pull it off.

Agree Saeed and many do not practise this anymore.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have trouble with side to side movement when shooting off sticks then have someone come up under your trigger arm at the elbow so you can rest your elbow on their shoulder . This makes a tremendous difference when shooting off sticks. My PH would do this and my aiming was rock solid. Sticks take away the up and down and the elbow on the PH shoulder takes away the side to side. Try it!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to use bipod sticks and I liked them. Now, I use a bogpod tripod at home and my last couple of PH's have used similar sticks. Agree that you need to keep the correct allen wrench because they do work loose, especially with big bores. Alternatively, duct tape works too, but then they can't be adjusted to sitting.

Do lean into the sticks, even tripod sticks. Makes them a lot steadier. Do work with your PH on how high you want them set.

And do work on how to adjust the height when he sets them too low (the usual for me) or two high. Adjust the sticks, don't try to take a shot when you're not comfortable. It's easy. With your left hand, lift under the fork to make the sticks taller. The bases of the sticks will skid in and make them higher. To make them lower, move the odd stick, usually front, out.

For a longer shot, anything you can do to stabilize your right (assuming your right handed)elbow will help. Your PH's shoulder, or a walking stick with a fork in the top, or even leaning against a tree.

Practice is the main thing.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to shoot off sticks and Ive practiced trying to no avail...I practice shooting off hand a good deal, have for years and a few old PHs won't let me shoot off sticks requiring me to shoot off hand.

I do have single trigger stick but never use it, it wobbles all over the place and Ive tried the three leg sticks..The last time I used one on was with Pierre and Saeed, I wounded a pig and a buffalo, found the buff as he was hit properly by both me and Richard but outright missed the pig broad side at 100 yards..Have not used one since, I like to shoot offhand and I practice offhand a lot.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Three is better than two. Two better than one. One better than nothing.

Metal sticks are a no no and wood is best.

I would like to see more hunters bring their sticks to Africa.

Try a grip shooting off one of the legs rather than the V.

Did that once...couldn't find them upon return...Smiler

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Viperflex quad sticks are becoming very popular in Europe.
Steady as a rock and very durable.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All you have to remember is that the sticks are just a front rest.

Once you understand this everything is simple really.

There is no right or wrong way to use them.

I think it was Hallsmore who had a right way and a wrong way for them, which is a load of rubbish.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sticks are great to support and steady the front end of the rifle, but getting a good solid anchor for that back elbow is key also. I like to have the PH or tracker next to me and put my elbow in the crook of their arm if possible. Anything to make a more solid rest will help.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
x2 on the VIPERFLEX. Support the front and rear of the gun. Change the elevation by moving forward or back. Used them on Mokore in 2016. Once you've tried them, there is no going back. They make a carbon fiber model that will break down and fit in a suitcase. Just as easy to handle, set up just as fast, full range of motion, but much more stabile for longer shots. Used them for my long range, he was dead before he knew what hit him, bush pig.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote