New
Find
Notify
Tools

Many questions for 1st African hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there’s a ton of info on here to be found by searching but honestly it’s a bit overwhelming and not always the latest info. I was invited on a hunt in South Africa for late March/Early April 2019. The dates were already set and I’m tagging along so that’s what I’ve got to work with. Any advice on what to expect that time of year? Any recommendations for getting my trophies (skulls,horns,and hides)home? What should I expect the cost to be for bring 4-5 plains game home that way? Any general advice is welcome as well. Thanks!

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of variables.

The place to start would be the outfitter, so asking them some questions via email now would get you some info.

My one big thing on SA imports is that various companies charge very differently, and there are often kick backs involved so the Outfitters really want you to stay with their guy. Asking for multiple quotes can be a good idea, but frankly, the getting trophies out of SA is way more expensive than it has to be, at least for me. When a 5 animal PG hunt costs more to dip, pack, and ship than a 21 day Tanzania full bag hunt, you end up wondering... if you have the taxidermy done there, it changes the calculus- typically shipping is less that way, but you have no recourse for QC issues.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I’ll be talking to the outfitter soon. Glad to have some idea on questions to ask. I’d like to bring home a few heads and capes for mounting here but if it gets to expensive euro mounts might be the way to go. I’ll be taking plenty of good quality photos so not having shoulder mounts wouldn’t be the worst thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about taxidermy, I can assure you that this will not be your only trip. The mistake most make is getting everything mounted. Mount only one or two, the most memorable or the best trophies. Don't even think about mounting "representative males", if you do you may end up paying twice.

Don't rely on your PH to arrange taxidermy. Find your own taxidermist, preferably a smaller outfit in a rural area. He will figure out how to retrieve your trophies from wherever they are.

The rule of thumb is that taxidermy/freight will cost you half again as much as the hunt. Could be as high as 100%. Restraint is the name of the game.

Air freight is expensive, no matter what. And it goes by the size of the crate. Some taxidermists are very good at getting mounted trophies into a tight crate. Some are lousy at it and it can cost you 2x. One large crate containing 3 or 4 mounts will cost you $2K in freight by the time you get it.

Don't bring in any swine unless it's fully processed.

That time of year is early unless you are hunting the Cape. It may be hot, and it may rain. Visibility will not be great unless you are hunting relatively treeless areas. The bushveld will be thick. Avoid the "lowveld" until late May, ditto Zululand.

The good news is airfares are lower and the game is relaxed early in the year. If you relax, you will have a great time, that's pretty much a sure thing.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Good to know what to expect of the early season. I had heard that bringing back a warthog or bushpig was expensive/difficult. Quite honestly I may do euro mounts of everything. I enjoy euros and they take up so much less space. With quality photos to look at I don’t regret any other euros I’ve got of Northbound american game. Never thought I’d make it to Africa so I’m in it for the experience and plan to relax and enjoy every moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your job is to shoot the game! You don't need to glass to find or judge. Your PH does it everyday, they better be good at it. Practice shooting off a mono stick until that is comfortable, then the three legged one are a piece of cake. Take a rifle you can shoot and be good with it! Your PH will love you for being able to shoot well! I brought nothing back but pictures and memories. If I could do it again I would do the same thing. A skull of a red hartebeest is the only thing I would even think about.

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In 2013 a box from RSA with 8 animals, skins, Euro mounts etc. was about $500 in shipping to California. In 2016 a box from RSA with just the raw skins and horns from a bushbuck and Nyala was $350 shipped to Texas but then I had to pay over $400 for Customs clearance because it was far from home.

Euro mounts of warthogs added no extra expense but raw skins would have to be cleared by the government and picked up by a USDA approved taxidermist/tanner.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TNDave59
posted Hide Post
I made my second trip to SA, first safari this year in late April early May. I did one shoulder mount and the rest euro mounts and the cost wasn’t too overly expensive. The weather was great, 80’s during day 50’s at night. we were in Limpopo area and the outfitter was great! They went out of the way to make us comfortable and make the hunts memorable. My take on taxidermy going in was to get good photos and what money I saved from taxidermy will go to my next trip which is already in planning stages.

Relax and enjoy your trip! It is beautiful country!

Posts: 69 | Location: NE Tennessee  | Registered: 17 May 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any specific taxidermist recommendations from you guys? Would you have a taxidermist complete “finished euros” or have them dipped and shipped? Thanks for the great info and encouragement.

One of Us
Picture of TNDave59
posted Hide Post
I used Safari Taxidermy in Polokwane, Limpopo, SA

www.Safaritaxidermy.co.za

We had dinner with the owners and toured their facility while there, very impressive, helpful and friendly folks there. They walk you through everything and help with all options. I don’t have my stuff back as it takes about a year but friends of mine have used them for years and the work they have had done is impressive!

Posts: 69 | Location: NE Tennessee  | Registered: 17 May 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get dip and pack quotations in advance. This can add substantially to your overall bill. You can broker your own trophies through customs,but it can be a hassle if you don't live close to a POE and research the rules and regs closely. Jerry

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TNDave59 thanks for the link. I’ve emailed them a few questions and will follow up with a call after I’ve got a few basic answers.

Also contacted a few other taxidermists that I was PM’d recommendations for. Working on getting quotes and I’m happy to look at any taxidermists you guys want to refer.

I had heard that clearing them yourself is possible but I live quite a distance from the nearest port (Los Angeles). With what it would cost me to travel from northern AZ to L.A. it might as reasonable to use an agent. Anyone care to chime in on experiences with Coppersmith or similar companies?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give advice!

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
I've used Coppersmith twice now and been very happy, D&L is another one I have heard many good reviews. I would get in touch with them before you leave and ask what airport to have them sent to. I would budget $500 for that part. Go with the flow and take what Africa gives you, maybe have one or two main animals then sit back and see what comes your way. The less restrictions you place on yourself the better hunt you will have, my opinion only of course. Pack light, do your best to sleep on the flight, sit back and soak it all in. Be prepared, if you like to hunt you will go back. Just for a bit of info my wife and I had 9 animals shipped from Zimbabwe, dip pack only, and total cost to our taxidermist here was about $3000.

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with Bull's Eye taxidermy in Limpopo province and am having this year's Mozambique trophies sent there.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southwest:

I use Coppersmith; my taxidermist is Southwest Wildlife in Scottsdale, although on a hunt in 16 I had a kudu euro mounted, skin from a hyena tanned, and a springbok shoulder mounted in Namibia; I am thinking the total bill including shipping to US was about 1200 bucks. The guy used a really sturdy cardboard box and packed it well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price to get everything home seems about what I had heard. Gotta pay to play I guess. I’m not about to let that put a damper on what will likely be a once in a lifetime trip for me. My biggest hope is to take a nice kudu and everything else is just a bonus. I’m as green as it gets for global travel/hunting so keep the info coming. I appreciate it all.

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southwesthunter:
on what will likely be a once in a lifetime trip for me.

Famous last words, don't count on them coming true. You will go back, but that's a good thing.

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly hear that from a lot of folks. Africa seems to have that power to draw you back. Between cash flow and my desire to see new places I don’t see myself going back. Of course there is a lot of Africa to see so the new places excuse may go right out the window. Planning to take my .300 WSM on the trip. Any bully suggestions for plains game? Primarily use 180 grain Nosler Partitions here and I would imagine they’d be fine from warthog to kudu.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be well armed with the .300 and Noslers for any plains game.
If available you might consider taking a zebra for a nice flat skin. Tanning is way cheaper over there.
You can see entirely different things if your next trip is, say, the Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe or the Zambezi delta in Mozambique. Chalk and cheese.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2016 I shipped a buffalo skull and cape from Zim.

It cost over $2k USD.

A thousand of that was to get it out of Zim!

I would be very selective about what I shipped back to the USA.

Dip and ship has turned into one more way to soak hunters.

I would take a pair of binocs along just for the joy of glassing different African game, even those you don't hunt.

Seeing animals such as Cheetahs, Nyala, Kudu, etc is one of the totally "free" enjoyments of an African safari IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
180 Partitions are fine in your 300.

Plan for $500 dip/pack, $1,000 shipping, and $500 customs clearance. It can vary a little but that’s a pretty good estimate for hides and horns. If you get quotes much higher than those, get a second quote!

As someone said, the only real value in getting work done there is in hide tanning, especially zebra rugs. It is a lot cheaper to have that done over there and they usually do a great job. Everything else is pretty much a wash of taxidermy vs shipping.

You’ll be there in late summer so it could be hot and grass/bush will be tall and thick, so it will be hard to hunt certain species. Bushbuck, Nyala, Duikers, etc will be hard that time of year. Ask the outfitter which species will be difficult and which ones will still be viable that time of year so you can plan your wish list accordingly.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advice above. I’ve only been once, but did an Eastern Cape and Limpopo trip while there.

I had all taxidermy done there and it was decent (the back of the necks on shoulder mounts look bad, but no one see that). Half of the animals were European mounts, más o menos. I never got that kudu I wanted, as a true mature bull eluded me.

I took a .375 H&H because I thought it was “proper.” I had practiced with the gun plenty on deer and hogs using shooting sticks. However, I might take a ”lighter” gun next time.

Practice and practice. Ask what sticks your PH might use. Buy the same or make some.

Most of all, enjoy the experience and let us know.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texan I’ve talked to a couple guys that figured dip/pack and shipping to be close to that. I’ve got inquiries out to a couple taxidermists for quotes. Late summer doesn’t sound ideal but since the dates were set I’ll make the best of it. Kudu is top of my list and from there I’m pretty flexible about what I hunt based on what we’re seeing.

DCS that’s a great idea about the sticks. I’ll find out what they use. I shoot off the top of a tripod or trigger sticks here so it should be kinda similar. Great excuse to shoot a bunch of ammo though!

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. Any advice is welcome. Currently debating airlines for the flight over.