THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    David's Swamp - Exploring/Scouting for Sitatunga in the Kafue

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David's Swamp - Exploring/Scouting for Sitatunga in the Kafue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I am posting this for Andrew (aka Fairgame):

David's Swamp

Young Bell Cross and I spent four days exploring a couple of new swamps in the Kafue. One we were particularly interested in seeing as it looked vast on the map. And indeed it was. It was a bitch to get to and the country was wild and unforgiving. We arrived late the first day from main camp and spent the following morning poking around this morass of reed and water. Although we found good sign of bull Sitatunga the swamp was for the most jungle and it would be very difficult to hunt in these conditions. Visibility was poor and most of this marsh was impenetrable. Pity, but we had to abandon this surreal place and leave it to the buffalo and the pythons of which there were many.

The pictures that accompany this report are of two swamps and we discovered a second whilst exploring the fringes of the Kafue River. There are photographs showing both the perimeters and the depths of these wetlands. The latter was ideal and consisted of palms and matete, ideal habitats for Sitatunga. The swamp was relatively small and probably some 50 acres in extent. Evidence of big bull Sitatunga was all around. Perfect and was this going to be David's swamp? Strange name for a swamp but as it does not have any other name and our first client is David and if he takes a Sitatunga from this place then we will call it that. We have a number of swamps named after those who have taken Sitatunga, Jud's swamp for example - refer to thread 'serious about Sitatunga'

The big swamp still has no name and I doubt it ever will but I was privileged to be there and for me it was a fascinating and a raw piece of forgotten Africa. The animals that haunted that place were spooky and secretive. The Buffalo were the true ghosts of the jungle and dwelled in the deep and dark recesses of this place. It would be fun to try and hunt them here but they would be wiser than you and I so best we will leave them be.

David is 'one of us' and he will no doubt post a report here in a month or so, and let us hope that his name will be dedicated to a small piece of Africa and remembered by me for as long as I am around. Andrew Baldry

Cutting a Road

Swamp's Edge

A Truly Wild Place

Watch Your Step!

Fairgame

Kafue Jungle

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
High adventure. Andrew leads an enviable life.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, Andrew. And how am I to get any sleep between now and when I arrive in the Kafue next week?

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thank you andrew for another teaser, november seems very far away right now.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Thank you so much, Andrew. And how am I to get any sleep between now and when I arrive in the Kafue next week?

Sleep is for children.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Bill C,

Many thanks and I hope this answers one of your questions?

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote