THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zim placed on the agenda of the next CITES meeting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim placed on the agenda of the next CITES meeting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
‘No room for poaching in Zim’

Business Reporter
June 12, 2009

THERE is no need for Zimbabwe to panic on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species after loosing nearly 70 rhinos in the past twelve months to poachers, Environment and Natural Resources Francis Nhema has said

This comes after it emerged that Zimbabwe has been placed on the agenda of the next Cites meeting to be held next year.

Cites, to which Zimbabwe is a signatory is an international wildlife protection body whose secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

"Poaching is a threat to all Cites members and we managed to book all the poachers involved,’’ said Minister Nhema.

Speaking at the sidelines of the fire awareness campaign week at Hwange National Park, Minister Nhema said there was need for the country to be proud of the security systems in preventing smuggling of ivory.

"All poachers have been brought to book, what it simply means is, our security systems are strong enough to deal with poachers.

"There is no need to panic even placed on the agenda of the next Cites meeting to be held next year.

"Our answer is simple, we managed to book all the culprits involved in rhino poaching. We have the systems in place to prevent the smuggling of ivory by poachers," he said.

He said his ministry was exploring ways of curbing the poaching of rhinos, reviving the intensive patrol zones to combat poaching of endangered species like rhinos.

"There are systems in place to ensure that poaching will be dealt with accordingly. There is no room for allowing poaching in the country. We are saying no to poaching," he said.

Rhino poaching has put Zimbabwe in the spotlight with in the framework of Cites.

Rhino poaching is now becoming a very serious problem for the country. Over the past few years we have seen an upsurge in poaching activities and lost 70 rhinos over the past twelve months.

Areas hit by rhino poachers are Lake Chivero, the Midlands, Hwange and the South-Eastern Lowveld, where there were many unlicensed guns smuggled through the country’s porous border with Mozambique.

Parks and Wildlife Management is working with the police and private conservancies to come up with new strategies to compact poaching of endangered species.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm soooo glad Zim has the poaching problem under control !!!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I'm soooo glad Zim has the poaching problem under control !!!!"

Too bad the same can't be said about the spelling there .... "after loosing nearly 70 rhinos"and "in the spotlight with in the framework" indeed!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"All poachers have been brought to book, what it simply means is, our security systems are strong enough to deal with poachers.

Concerning the rash of missing horses, Minister Nhema went on to say, "All barn doors have been closed after it was discovered that the horses were missing. There is no need to panic, we are sure they will return to their secure barns very soon.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Francis Nhema is so full of bullsh_ _... He's drowning in it... bsflag

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Dear List,

I have a very good friend who lives in Zim. I forwarded Kathi's report to him. Below is what he had to say. Excuse the cuss words please. I left them in to give you the "uncut version" of what he had to say.

>>>fucking lies. no one has been brought to book that i know of (about 50 plus arrests) and have very good coms with the rhino guys HOWEVER national Parks did shoot 4 pouchers last week. However only NP may do the shooting or it gets very rough for any private land owners to take the law into theri own hands and mete out any justice to pouchers as the tresspassing laws have been scraped in the country. Dont know if these shootings are enough of a deterant though as never saved the rhino in the Zambezi valley and Zim is now openly embracing Chinese assistance and think this is some of the spin off the chinese are receiving in return. I think their is a lot of official assistance in the rhino pouching in the country as we are loosing upto two a week. Rhino horn Must earn a lot of USD which the officials are now not earning by have easy accsess thru their political connections Have just moved some 28 rhino in two weeks to a more safe area.<<<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36642 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO I repete NO news you get from official media can be trusted!!!!!!!! in ZIM or anywhee else. The rule of law does not apply in most African countrys. the rule of cash applies. I the news there say's anything possitive you can bet it's a lie.I have lived there and seen it. the media there almost as bad as here Mad

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote