New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liability Insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After seeing the post of Hunters accidentally shooting their PH, a Tracker or someother person, would it be a good idea to take out a Liability Policy for your African Hunt?
Will be going on my first Plains Game Hunt in May 2013.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there such a thing? I am interested as well

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I would need to double check but I believe Travel Insurance covers medical bills and this would fall under that but I am not 100% sure and would need to read the fine print.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy good question Confused
You sign as the hunter a wavier not to sue the outfitter if you are hurt, SO does that work both ways??????
WELL HERE WE GO GOOD OLD AFRICAN LAW. hammering

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Boy good question Confused
You sign as the hunter a wavier not to sue the outfitter if you are hurt, SO does that work both ways??????
WELL HERE WE GO GOOD OLD AFRICAN LAW. hammering

Yea, that is the question I want answered. Asked a few times...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Talk to your homeowner's or renter's insurance agent. The liability section may cover you if a claim is filed or a suit is filed against you. If fault is obviously yours and the amount relatively small they may just pay up. Large claims will probably be defended by your company (they supply the lawyers) so if you are concerned about the guide or PH, they may win the case on your behalf and not pay. Umbrella policies are broader in scope and increase the limit your liability policy may have. This is usually a good option and very cheap. So, again, talk to your fire insurance agent to make sure your butt is covered.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a umbrella policy but was still required to purchase a local hunting liability policy when I hunted in France. I do not remember the cost but if I remember correctly it was not a lot of money

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
As a member of the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) I have a worldwide (excluding US and Canada; seperate policy) public liability coverage of 10 million GBP, about 15 million USD. This costs me about 50 GBP a year. WELL worth it!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
As a member of the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) I have a worldwide (excluding US and Canada; seperate policy) public liability coverage of 10 million GBP, about 15 million USD. This costs me about 50 GBP a year. WELL worth it!!

I agree it would be well worth it, if the NRA, SCI, DSC or some other large organization in the US would offer a world wide liability policy for a reasonable price like the BASC policy I would sign up right away. A accident like this would be one of my worst nightmares.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with my insurance agent.
Took my liability on my home owners policy from $300,000 to $500,000 per incident for only $15 a year higher premium.
Was told that my homeowners policy covered me worldwide & that it would cover such an accident.
Hopefully that is some info that can be used.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just hung up with State Farm and had my home owners liability changed from 300,000 to 500,000
for 20 bucks. Covers me anywhere in the world. I was told that "Negligence", on my part, would have to be proven of course before pay out.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Looks like the bwanas on this thread are taking my advice and talking to their insurance agents and getting good information. Remember, talk to YOUR

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Sorry, hit wrong key. Remember, talk to YOUR agent. Each company may have some unique policy language and each state has its own insurance commission that may require some specific state rule. I only know Oregon rules.

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete